1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict the West!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsJumer, Jan 9, 2015.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Everyone knows the West is going to be crazier than it's ever been. I feel like this year, the top 7 seeds will be separated by a one or two games, so seeding might come down to head-to-head meetings and conference records. This has to be the most competitive conference in the history of all sports.

So, it will be fun to predict where teams will be seeded based on what we have seen so far, and then keep up with this thread as the season unfolds.

Here is how I predict the West to turn out:

1st) Grizzlies (59-23): Surprised? I think that once it becomes clear that the Thunder will get that 8th seed, teams will start positioning themselves away from the 1st seed. The 1st seed will be open and I think Memphis would welcome it with open arms. They have faced OKC the past two years some with success, so I don't think they 'fear' OKC like other teams do.
    2nd) Warriors (58-24): This team is almost unfair. They have the luxury to bring Iguodala and David Lee off their bench along with Livingston and Speights. They can run away with the 1st seed based on how they have started and their depth, but I think they will fall off a little bit. If it becomes close, wouldn't be surprised they lose some games to avoid OKC in the first round.
    3rd) Rockets (56-26): Probably best case scenario would be for this team to get a 2nd or 3rd seed as we will get home court and can avoid OKC/Memphis/Clippers until the WCF. I really think the best is yet to come with this team. With the ability to add potentially a secondary playmaker and/or a real back up center this team can be dark horse contenders.
    4th) Blazers (56-26): Those pesky (and annoying) Blazers. They will have the same record as us but will get the 4th seed based on our head to head matchup. Lillard and LMA are damn scary, just saying.
    5th) Clippers (54-28): Clippers really need some help; they are so inconsistent, but they have the talent to be serious players any night.
    6th) Spurs (53-29): They'll turn it on at some point but they might be too far to make any serious move up to the top 4 seeds. And Pop will sacrifice seeding if it means his guys are healthy come playoff time.
    7th) Mavericks (52-30): I'm not biased (only slightly), but I think they are going to fall off and expose themselves to be more pretenders as the season passes. They don't have a defense and rely on offense too much. We saw last year how that is not a recipe for success.
    8th) Thunder (49-33): The wildcard. This team is arguable the best in the West and they will have to fight for the 8th seed. I think they will make it, though. They can turn the West on its head if they catch fire.

How do you think the West will turn out?

2. Raven

Raven Member

Rockets are on pace to win just two more games than last year, but the West is a meat grinder. They'll need to slightly improve their win percentage to reach 60 victories.

3. bongman

bongman Member

If we get back our defensive Mojo, we should be up there. Offensively, it can certainly help if we improved but it's on the other side of the floor which caused us to get knocked out last year.

Defense is what we focused on during training camp and it should remain the same.

4. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

we lucked out on the pels pick, that pick wont be worth much in the coming years... morey better ship that out for gogi if that offer is indeed on the table

5. kemah

kemah Member

Your guess is as good as any right now seeing as we are not even half way yet. I am going to stick to my original prediction and say that we are about the same as last year and get the 4th seed for now. I don't don't see OKC as all that right now. We see that Westbrook is coming down back to earth finally but they should be able to make the playoffs. Dallas took a big hit in depth. GSW are up there but we all know Curry has glass ankles and always has to sit every year for a good part of the season to get ready for the playoffs.

6. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Warriors
    Blazers
    Grizzlies
    Clippers
    Spurs
    Rockets
    Mavericks
    Thunder
    (Suns)
    (Pelicans)

I'm sorry to say I have that little faith in the Rockets, but the West is damn tough.

WCSF: Warriors over Spurs, Grizzlies over Blazers
    WCF: Warriors over Grizzlies

7. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I don't think OKC makes the playoffs. Not this year unfortunately.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

GS
    POR
    DAL
    HOU
    MEM
    LAC
    SAC
    OKC

9. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I predict that we will see Dallas in the first round because that's what I want to happen

10. deshen

deshen Member

6 or 7, most likely 7 seed.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Golden State Warriors

Portland Trailblazers

Memphis Grizzlies

Houston Rockets

Dallas Mavericks

LA Clippers

San Antonio Spurs

Phoenix Suns

12. DunKingDanny

DunKingDanny Contributing Member

1) Memphis
    2) Golden State
    3) Portland
    4) Houston
    5) Dallas
    6) LA Clippers
    7) San Antonio
    8) Oklahoma City

MEM vs HOU in Semis
    GSW vs POR in Semis

HOU vs POR in WCF

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Portland Trailblazers

Memphis Grizzlies

Golden State Warriors

Dallas Mavericks

Houston Rockets

San Antonio Spurs

OKC Thunder

LA Clippers

----------------

PHX

NO

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Golden State
    Memphis
    Portland
    Dallas
    Houston
    San Antonio
    LA Clippers
    Phoenix

Yes, Phoenix in over OKC.

Rockets go to Dallas in Rd 1.

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

55+ wins, 4th seed.

Warriors with the top seed.

When half of the team was injured, we played with great chemistry, nearly the whole game. Now, we are winning based on talent, seemingly playing well in portions of the game.

This year, the West is wide open, and there is no reason why this Rockets could not come out of the West. However, to accomplish that, they will have to increase their defensive intensity and keep it up for the vast majority of the game. In other words, use the old gel formula where defense creates offense. We have tremendous depth, especially when Jones comes back, but as another poster alluded to, individual sacrifices will have to be made.

It would help tremendously if McHale could have team and individual talks with players as to what he expects from them. That's how you build chemistry.

16. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Not sure, but Golden State won't make it to the second round

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

Hope we stay in between 3rd seed and 4th.

Warrior v. spur /Thunder is not a very promising situation

18. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

1. Golden State Warriors
    2. Portland Trail Blazers
    3. Dallas Mavericks
    4. Memphis Grizzlies
    5. Los Angeles Clippers
    6. Houston Rockets
    7. San Antonio Spurs
    8. Phoenix Suns

We channel the spirt of the '95 team and shock the world.

19. rocketsmetalspd

Seriously? The Rockets are on course to add a true PG and maybe Brandon Wright. I would hold off till the trading deadline to start writing off the Rockets.

20. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

This year is different than I'd say the last 7 years in the NBA. There is no clear cut favorite to win it all. Miami has been for the past 4 years, than it was Lakers and Boston in 07/08. This year it's all up for grabs.

1 person likes this.