1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict the Rockets' Depth Chart...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jun 23, 2022.

1. vince

vince Member

This is exactly what I’m thinking too. I like Eason at SF if he can thrive there.

cmoak1982 and steddinotayto like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm prepared to see Eason struggle in the starting lineup next season but if he's as good as advertised, defensively, then I don't mind getting him out there asap.

vince and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

The Athletic previously reported that all signs were pointing toward Eric Gordon reclaiming his starting spot, and that sentiment still remains, assuming he is still on the roster by the time camp opens in September.

Of course, there will be arguments for Tate and Eason, the former recently signing a new deal and the latter coming off a strong showing in Vegas. Tate and Eason also are strong defenders, something the Rockets need. Given Houston’s long-term aspirations, either player probably makes more sense for development purposes. But I think Gordon, as the longest-tenured player on the roster and the resident veteran, is an early favorite for that position.

For starters (no pun intended), Gordon’s the best player on the team. I just have a hard time finding an argument for a team this young to want to bring its best player off the bench. It also doesn’t hurt that Gordon is a Silas favorite, one the entire organization routinely points to as an example on and off the floor and who also fits the bill of what the team is looking for. There’s a reason why he’s been internally cited as arguably the biggest reason for Green’s progress during his rookie campaign.

• In that same breath, I’d expect Tate to function as the team’s sixth man. Because Tate’s skill set is versatile, it gives Houston a number of options. For instance, when Gordon heads to the bench, Tate can come in and give the Rockets another physical defender and passer. If his shot is improved, and from all offseason accounts it is, that’s a huge spacing plus. Tate also can function in small-ball lineups, whether that means shifting down to power forward or even stints at center.

• Martin’s primary reason for asking for a trade was a real possibility of a lack of minutes, and the above depth chart aligns with that. He has a ton of competition around him for playing time, and with Tate getting a new contract and Eason having a rising number of fans daily, it’s hard to see where Martin fits in with this group. A trade is best for all parties involved, and teams continue to monitor his situation in Houston. But assuming he’s not dealt by camp, he’ll attempt to once again crack Silas’ rotation.

— Kelly Iko

4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

This is exactly how I see it.

(1) KPJ clear starter. Nix also over Tyrone until he proves he can be the backup to KPJ...or Nix just stinks it up.

(2) Jalen no doubt the starter here with JC backing him up.

(3) EG begins the year a starter and hopefully he starts off on fire and gets traded (not likely traded until deadline; if that). Tate with the newly signed contract is going to be ahead of my guy Tari as the first guy off the bench until he proves he can do what he did in the summer league in real games.

(4) Jabari has no competition at the 4 so definitely the starter. I see Tate and Eason backing him up. Smith/Eason/Martin is how I see the 3/4.

(5) I don't think Sengun is a C but we have no one else to play that position so he starts here by default. He will be good but I really don't see him as a starter. More of a Sixth Man. Hopefully Boban sticks around.

5. PWR

PWR Member

Rotation w/ minutes

KPJ(31)/JC(17)
    Green(31)/EG(10)/JC(7)
    Tate(26)/EG(10)/KJM(12)
    Jabari(12)/Tari(28)/KJM(8)
    Sengun(30)/Jabari(18)

So, that's a 9 man rotation of:
    KPJ(31mins), Green(31mins), Jabari(30mins), Sengun(30mins), Tari(28mins), Tate(26mins), JC(24mins), EG(20mins), KJM(20mins).

Aruba77, fattz and 13 in 33 like this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m thinking Gordon is coming off the bench and Tate starts at SF. I think Eason is going to be a swing forward/center off the bench this year, but hope he is starting at SF next year, unless we get Victor in which Jabari will need to move to SF.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Love the minute distribution. Don’t really care about the rotations other than Sengun, Jalen, KPJ, and Jabari need to start.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The depth chart is the most sane way to look at next year's rotation, but there will be 10 or less players in the rotation at a time.

Thus, the third stringers are on the outside looking in. TyTY starts in the G League, plays exclusively the 1 and get PT with the Rockets at end of the year or due to injuries. Matthews, Nwaba and Martin will see time in blowouts, due to injuries and when vets like Gordon rest. Matthews, Nwaba and Martin will also be trade candidates.

It is extremely unclear who the back 5 really is. Chriss or Boban or someone we trade for.

D-rock and Milos like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Being Silas favorite does not impress me.

Both Wall and Boogie were also Silas favorites.

EGo just needs to be traded.

Period.

And there is no room for Tate, Nwaba, Mathews Eason and KJ at wing/forward, at least 1 should be traded. Even better if 2 guys.

Unless Silas wants to change Tate's role to that of a primary playmaker.

10. fattz

fattz Member

[QUOTE="D-rock, post: 14184021, member:

Unless Silas wants to change Tate's role to that of a primary playmaker.[/QUOTE]

Tate is not a shooter so his placement has limitations.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

KPJ (33)/ Christopher (15)

Green (33)/ Matthews (10)/ Christopher (5)

Gordon (28)/ Tate (20)

Jabari (16)/ KJ (16)/ Tari (16)

Sengun (31)/ Jabari (17)

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

For a player to start at a position they usually have to get around 18+ minutes at that position, 6 to start both halves and 6 to finish the game

13. marinara

marinara Member

I don’t see how Matthews gets PT, I’d be surprised if he wasn’t cut tbh and I would be upset if gets minutes over JayGup or even Nix/Washington

No Worries likes this.
  14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Players worth of being on the 2022 -2023 Rockets Team:-
    Eason, Players Unworthy of playing on the Rockets Team
    Smith Jr. Hudgins
    Washington, Potential players:- Brown
    Christopher, Matthews Burke
    Martin, Garuba Chriss
    Tate, Newba The Old Big Man
    Porter, A Staring Center Gordon (both of them)
    Green, Fernando
    Segan NIX

Potential

15. Yetti

Sorry for the Jumble up of my post ! Itwasn;t supposed to be that way! Y

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

depending on how the last few spots play out...

KPJ (30)/ Christopher (12) / Nix-TyTy (6)

Green (32)/ Christopher (8) / Matthews (8)

Gordon (24)/ Tate (20) / Tari (4)

Jabari (16)/ KMJ (16)/ Tari (12) / Nwaba-Garuba (4)

Sengun (30)/ Jabari (14) / Boban (4)

32 - Green
    30 - Jabari, KPJ, Sengun
    24 - EGo
    20 - JC, Tate
    16 - KMJ, Tari
    8 - Matthews
    4-6 - misc (Nix, TyTy, Boban, Nwaba, Garuba)

#156 kjayp, Jul 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Front line (C/PF)
    Starters: Sengun, Smith
    Backups: Tate, Eason, Garuba
    Spot minutes: Martin

Wing (SF/SG)
    Starters: Green, Gordon (If Gordon is gone, Eason starts and Tate takes the backup minutes)
    Backups: Christopher, Eason, Martin
    Spot minutes: Mathews

Point
    Starter: Porter
    Backups: Nix, Washington

No Worries and CarlosGM like this.
  18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

KPJ/Nix
    Green/Christopher
    Tate/Gordon/Eason
    Smith/KMJ
    Sengun/Garuba

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't like how we effectively seemed to have decided to move on from Martin by virtue of Tate contract, draft.

Seems bizarre that KMJ played well and seemed a much better fit than Tate towards the end of last year and his reward is... a seat on the bench or a trade, simply bc the team can get a good contract for Tate.

20. Yetti

Players worthy of being on the Houston Rockets Team
    Eason
    Washington
    Smith Jr,
    Green
    Porter
    Martin
    Tate
    Christopher
    Sengun