1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

predict the Electoral College contest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

If polls are systematically biased against Obama, because they don't pick up voter registrations (which are not per-determined if the survey knows what it is doing, for Christ's sake) from mobile users, or because for some reason, no one figures that the polls might be biased against the winner, even if we have ample historical evidence this might be the case.

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=bhlF

Seeing as how some people have started turning this into the electoral contest of the United States of Narnia, I'll also throw in a Latino voting surge, and posit that this is the one freak year where a la 2008, registered voters en masse start acting like old white "likely" voters.

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=bhlZ

ET VOILA.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

It's that universal charisma and appeal Romney exudes.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

twilight zone stuff there

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More like just trolling.

I still feel that Romney has a good shot at winning but it's going to be close it seems to me though the closer we get to the election the more unrealistic the Romney supporters are getting, from Clutchfans to Dick Morris. I think this has a lot to do with masking their own uncertainties and with just trying to get a rise out of the other side.

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I agree that both the total vote and the electoral college vote will be close. Last month, I stopped canvassing neighbors because I believe Texas will go into the Romney column. Therefore, I have been spending most of my time canvassing all my former client and carrier contacts across the country with a short questionnaire regarding their presidential candidate leanings.

If they sent me a pro-Romney response, I send them a "right on" message. If they send me a pro-Obama response, I sent them a "think about it" response pointing out Obama's dreadful record on economic and foreign affairs issues. In addition, I urged them to see the "2016" video to help acquaint them with Obama's rationale for trying to ruin America and Americans.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how Romney wins Ohio. And without Ohio, it's game over.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The polls show him within the margin of error in many of them so he certainly has a shot in Ohio. Another question is how many votes has Obama banked in early voting versus how big of an edge Romney might have on the 6th.

I think PA is pretty solidly going for Obama but I think Romney is likely going to get VA, FL and CO is going to be very close. If he wins those and Ohio he will win.

10. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I think this is going to be landslide territory with most of the tossups breaking towards Obama. Romney will take North Carolina, but I have the rest for Obama, who wins 332-206.

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=biOk

I could see the overall popular being close, especially if turnout is really low in the Northeast due to Sandy, but I don't think Romney can pull out the popular win while losing the electoral vote. I see Obama winning by about 2 points.

#110 ScriboErgoSum, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  11. Buck Turgidson

220, 221, whatever it takes

2 people like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think that is certainly possible and much more likely than a Romney landslide. Unless you are essentially running on faith, as some here, and discount almost all of the polls the math just doesn't work for a Romney landslide. A narrow electoral win for Romney is still possible.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

math/polls are fine, it's their prediction of the composition of the electorate that's way off

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As I said running on faith. As much as you might choose to ignore polls the polling takes into account the likely electoral composition. Even the most favorable for Romney still doesn't show a Romney landslide.

15. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Serious question: has this ever been a problem in the recent past? Have a majority of the polls been as off as you claim that they are? Do current pollsters not know how to make an accurate poll?

16. thumbs

Pollsters -- no matter how "respected" they are -- skew the results toward whomever is paying them. It can be done by the way questions are asked/phrased, by the number and demographics of the people polled, etc. That's why Romney's polls show he is the favorite and why Obama's polls show he is the favorite. There is only one poll that counts.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

but historically, the adjusted and weighted avg of all these polls matches who actually wins the state on election day

18. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7wC42HgLA4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. thumbs

The only adjusted and weighted poll in which I am interested is the one that comes out tomorrow -- barring "hanging chads" -- showing how the electoral college should vote.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

both campaigns base their strategy on the adjusted and weighted polls. know why romney is pouring money on PA? its because one local polling firm show is a tie

and tomorrows result should be pretty close to RCP, Princeton, and 538