1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

predict the Electoral College contest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Aug 23, 2012.

1. lalala902102001

The whole damn election probably comes down to Florida, Pennsylvania, and Ohio, again.

Why do the rest of us even bother voting?

2. lalala902102001

3. rage

rage Member

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Speculation on independents is pointless until the debates. Until then it's all about who buys the best propaganda campaign.

6. Major

Major Member

No they don't. Pollsters *poll* outcomes - they see what people are saying they will do. And they give margins of errors because they recognize that their numbers are only one possible estimate of the outcome. While it has some predictive value, the exact number in poll actually is not an attempt to predict the outcome. The fact that a number was hit "dead on" is actually more statistical coincidence than intent.

What 538 does is take a bunch of data - polls, historical results, poll biases, etc - and predict the outcome of an upcoming election. The two are totally different methodologies with totally different end goals in mind.

538 will say "candidate X has a 57% chance of winning Florida based on a mix of data we're looking at". A poll will say "our poll of voters shows candidate X getting 53% of the vote, +/-4% and we expect him or her to be in that range 95% of the time." They actually aren't predicting 53% - they are predicting 49-57% in 95% of elections, with that generally centering around 53%.

7. TheresTheDagger

8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Haha, I was just going to post a similar scenario, but I had IA going Blue and NV going red. Would be interesting to see if it ended up 269-269, maybe that is what the Mayans were talking about?!? If we thought Bush v. Gore was a doozy, a tie would be something else entirely!

I'd hope that rather than this race being decided by the special interests and political attack ads that the voters would look at this as a referendum on which way they want to see the country go in the next four years. I highly doubt that is what will happen, but it'd be nice to elevate the national dialog/discourse to a level that we haven't seen in a while. IMO, we need to have that honest talk about a way forward to get our internal house in order so to speak.

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

So now that the conventions are over and Charlotte pretty much wiped the floor with Tampa, anyone want to recalibrate their predictions?

;)

10. Hak34

Hak34 Member

11. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Because Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio have less than a majority of the total electorate?

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I thought your map was pretty good at demonstrating a fair best-case scenario for Romney. Until I saw you gave him Iowa. Come on, man. He's not going to win Iowa.

14. Batman Jones

I don't remember what I said before but I'm feeling good about 300+. Nate Silver, who is generally the gold standard on this kind of stuff, is even kinder to Obama according to his high-falutin' predicting machine. He has Obama just over 314.

15. Batman Jones

Everything could change, of course, but this very optimistic scenario could absolutely happen. If all those swing states go his way though I think he'll do even better and repeat in NC as well. It's the only swing state Romney currently leads in and the margin is pretty thin.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

bump, still happy with my map other than NJ I would change to blue

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Romney wins every state that the latest polls have him leading. Obama wins every state that the polls have him leading except Iowa, where his lead is the smallest.

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=SNv

269-269. It goes to Congress.

Edit: Actually, re-checked. New Hampshire is closer than Iowa. This isn't quite as likely as I thought. It would be unlikely for Romney to win Iowa but not New Hampshire. More likely would be 271-267 Obama or 273-265 Romney. Either way, it's going to be close.

#58 weslinder, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  19. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

20. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

The link you posted has Obama winning in a landslide... (more than mine). :confused: