1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict Houston Starting Lineup Next Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, May 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. AB-4-3

AB-4-3 Member

Of course it would be tough but the fact that he's not completely happy there might scare Flip into making a deal. The way I look at it if we have to wait a year for this guy we should because adding him to this team makes us a championship contender for years.

2. basketballholic

We're not going to trade Parsons and Beverley. So take them out of the equation.

Minny most likely isn't going to trade KLove unless he pitches a fit with new GM Flip early. But if they did a possible trade iteration would be:

1. Asik and Jones to N.O. DMo and Gordon to Minny with a couple picks thrown in. KLove to Houston

2. Asik/Lin/TRob to Boston for Rondo/C.Lee, Rondo/C.Lee to one of several lottery teams for their lottery pick and future picks. Picks, picks, picks to Minny.

3. yunac010

yunac010 Member

I like this (except the Nate part), but why would Portland want Lin when they have Lillard? He and Aldridge make a good pair.

4. basketballholic

My dark horse lineup:

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Asik
    AK-47

5. srrono

srrono Member

I wanted to do something kinda unexpected. A offseason trade for Granger and have him play as a Melo/spread 4. i think this team would be dangerous with Granger healthy.

PG: Lin
    SG: Harden
    SF: Parsons
    PF: Granger
    C: Asik

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Jeremy Lin
    James Harden
    Chandler Parsons
    Ryan Anderson
    Dwight Howard

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

PG: ????
    PF: ????
    C : ????

8. Sanity2disChaos

Lin/Bev
    Harden
    Parsons

Milsap-not max player and is a better fit next to Howard than anybody lse we can
    get this off season.I really think he has his best years here if we pick him up.
    Howard

T-Rob is a solid back-up and T-Jones can be the same but I would think about playing him at the 3 in particular match-ups.

9. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Bev/Lin
    Harden/Brooks
    Garcia/Delfino
    Parsons/TRob/DMo/Jones
    Asik/Smith

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Beverly
    Harden
    Parsons
    T.Jones
    Dwight

3 people like this.
  11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Starters:
    Jeremy Lin
    James Harden
    Chandler Parsons
    Donatas Motiejunas
    Omer Asik

12. BigMaloe

Dark horse line up

Jarrett jack
    Eric Gordon
    James harden
    Danny Granger
    Dwight Howard

Small ball baby

13. BigMaloe

Sneakily the most likely and very good line up...

14. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

10% chance:

PF: Millsap
    C: Howard

15% chance:

PG: CP3
    PF: DMo
    C: Howard

25% chance:

PF: Josh Smith

25% chance:

PF: Pau Gasol

25% chance:

PF: TJones
    (where Morey just does something temporary to save cap space for 2014)

15. Akim523

Akim523 Member

CP3 isnt going anywhere.

Next season lineup:

Lin/Beverley
    Harden/Anderson
    Parsons/Delfino
    Milsap/Jones
    Asik/Smith

16. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Ryan Anderson
    Dwight

or

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Pau
    Asik

At least those are what I'm hoping for...

17. beatpole

beatpole Member

I really don't know if we'll make a very big move...

I think the PF spot is the only thing which will change... maybe our C... and also a good backup for James Harden could be realistic... to get him some rest...

Lin/Beverley
    Harden/?
    Parsons/Delfino
    ?/Jones/Smith
    Asik

but who knows... can't wait till we'll see some movements by the rockets!

18. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Lin
    Harden
    Parons
    Howard
    Asik

Best inside defensive presence in the league

19. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Lin
    Harden
    Parson
    Horford
    Howard

20. Nachobar

Nachobar Where’s my chips?

Considering the roster, salary position, and what players are actually— or presumably— available, I think Morey is going to surprise us again this summer. Here, IMO, are the most glaring needs going into next year (2013-2014) and some realistic types of moves we could be making.

Guaranteed (G) players and team-optioned, or non-guaranteed, contracts (Option amount*- % likelihood of retaining rights- % being on 13-14 active roster, IMO) for next season, based on current active roster:

*If player has option, 13-14 salary will be listed

PG: Lin (G- 80%), Beverley ($788,872- 95%- 90%), Brooks ($2,500,000- 40%- 35%)
    SG: Harden (G- 100%), Anderson ($916,099- 30%- 25%), Garcia ($6,400,000- 5%- 5%)
    SF: Parsons ($926,500- 80%- 80%), Delfino ($3,000,000- 50%- 50%)
    PF: Motiejunas (G- 80%), Robinson (G- 75%), Jones (G- 50%)
    C: Asik (G- 90%), Smith ($884,293- 50%- 50%), Ohlbrecht ($788,872- 30%- 20%)

Note: Tyler Honeycutt has a team-option for ~$900,000. Royce White is guaranteed for ~$1,700,000.

Also: Though a player's option may be picked-up (first %), I am also indicating (second %) the odds of them remaining on active roster to start 2013, as oppose to traded or waived.

The projected salary cap for the 2013-2014 season will be about $60 mil. and, as it stands, the Rockets will have nearly $40 mil. guaranteed on the payroll and that number will increase to ~$46 mil. if Houston guarantees Parsons, Delfino, and any two of Smith, Beverley, and Anderson.

Now the question remains: what do the Rockets do with all that spare change?...

...The most realist off-season scenarios (IMO):

Type of move number one: Acquire a veteran star via free agency

The bold and audacious will suggest offering ~$12-$20 mil., annually, to Howard or J. Smith for a chance to play with Harden & Co.; however, bringing in a player for ~$14-$18 mil over two years would fit nicely into how how our salary situation looks. This player would be a sort of "filler"; not in the sense of a mere role-player, but a "filler" as in a good-to-great player to fill a spot until a star— as Morey states, from "within the organization"— is born.

Potential Target: David West, PF, Indiana Pacers

West is not young, but he's also not on his last leg— yet. He is a 9-year vet coming off a $10 mil. year, that he is certainly proving to be worth. The 6-8, 250 lb. forward is averaging 17/8 per clip and could produce at a similar level for another two years. With the recent trades of Patterson and Morris, Morey has effectively removed the stretch-4 from McHale's repertoire. However, West would provide an interior and mid-range presence that would compliment Asik's low-post game nicely. I believe West could be the perfect "filler" at PF for a front-loaded contract (2-year, $15 mil.) that would allow enough flexibility to potentially target a max player in 14-15. Further, by offering a two year deal, the Rockets will be able to see who pans out as the heir-apparent to the PF position, as I can only imagine one— Robinson, Motiejunas, or Jones— actually signing a second contract with the Rockets, as they will all be facing their first team-options.

Type of move number two: Build up the bench

This is a lot easier said than done. If the Rockets sign a player comparable to West (salary-wise), then the team will have between ~$3-8 mil. to spread around, depending on if Delfino and others (Smith, Beverley, Anderson, Ohlbrecht) are kept on or are casualties. There are very formidable veterans and bundle young talent available this summer to suggest that the Rockets could essentially scramble their bench, unless of course they choose to stick with what they currently have. If not, there are a couple names that pop into mind:

Potential Target(s): Tony Allen, G, Memphis Grizzlies; Al-Farouq Aminu, SF, New Orleans Pelicans; Kyle Korver, SF, Atlanta Hawks; Earl Clark, F, LA Lakers; Randy Foye, PG, Utah Jazz

In an ideal world, the Rockets could bring in two of these players for a combined ~$8 mil./year. However, to sign two key bench players, along with a star (see above), Houston would almost certainly have to part ways with Delfino. I just threw out the type of contracts that I can envision the Rockets finding attractive: Foye could be had for Houston's "Room" exception ($2.5 mil.) and would provide depth at point, thus making Beverley more expendable if need be (or, you could commit to Beverley as the back-up PG for <$1 mil.); Allen would command around $6-7 mil over two years but would provide the backcourt defense that is vital in tight games; Aminu and Clark are each rising talents who will both likely make ~$4-5 mil./year, each will also want a mid-length contract. I would have no problem with carving out $15 mil. for Aminu over the next three years, especially with Parsons coming up for big money. However, this begs the question: why not just extend Parsons (which I am in favor of up to $8 mil/year)?

Personally, I doubt that we land Howard, Smith, Bynum or any "marque" free agents this summer. Perhaps Morey will decide to ship Jones, or any other assets, for a first round pick and sit on it. Who knows? In 18 months Houston could finally see the moment where Morey plays the big-hand— maybe a S&T involving any/all of Motiejunas, Robinson, Parsons, and any picks that we acquire between now and then, for someone huge... *seriously not trolling*

To some all of this up, I believe that if Houston sees a line-up, similar to below, for the 2013-2014 season, then this team will have few worries for the next 2-3 years:

13-14 Line-up:

PG: Lin/Beverley/FA
    SG: Harden/Allen (or similar)
    SF: Parsons/Delfino
    PF: West (or similar)/Robinson or Motiejunas
    C: Asik/Motiejunas or Smith

14-15 Line-up (after the wishful-thinking/mega-bullish S&T):

PG: Lin/FA/Beverley
    SG: Harden/Allen (or similar)
    SF: LeBron/FA
    PF: West/Motiejunas
    C: Asik/FA

Mind you, this whole post was hypothetical and is supported by only a few hours of salary/CBA research— so try not to grill. Thoughts?