1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predict: 5-8 spot in the West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Mathematically it's obviously possible. But common sense would tell you otherwise. We aren't a .700 team. We're a .500 team. We have been since the all-star break, we have been all season.

Even if we do improve for these last 16 games, a team like this doesn't turn it around and go 12-4 or anything. At best we'd go 10-6. The Grizz may be hurt but they've been dealing with injuries for a while now and they don't seem to be a team that would only win 4 of their last 16 games, which is what's needed if we went 10-6.

It's just wishful thinking. We, too often this season, felt like this team was turning things around only to be disappointed. Yeah we had won three in a row before today's loss, but we've also lost 4 out of our last 8, and our wins were a lot closer than our losses

2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Best case scenario is definitely us getting 6th seed and clippers overtaking 3rd seed and facing us in the first round.

Obviously OKC wouldn't be as bad as the warriors or spurs, but they wouldnt have that much trouble against us. I don't see us taking it to more than 6 games. Also, I don't want any bad blood to brew between the two teams, I'm still hoping we have a shot at landing Durant.

3. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

its possible, but not very likely.

with 16 games left for both teams, houston will need to go 14-2 and the grizzly 8-8 just to end up with the same record.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

6 games with only 16 games left is a big gap to overcome. If the Rockets play .500 ball the rest of the way, the Grizzlies have to lose all but 2 remaining games, which is pretty unthinkable.

Even if that happens, you also need to get past Portland. Otherwise, they would get the 5th seed, not us.

5. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Well, We all felt good against the Spurs 2 years ago :)

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Haha. Honestly eh?
    Too bad Aldridge ruined that for us.
    Uh oh

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How are the Grizzlies? They have a nice record without playing many household names

8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I feel everyone on this board is under the assumption that playoffs are a lock and we are now just fighting for seeding.

The only team playing as bad as us are the mavs. Portland, while also bad, has been better than us recently. Utah has been picking it up, and with their remaining schedule, I think will actually move into playoff position.

I think it's going to come down to us and the mavericks. Tough to say who wins out. I just follow the rockets more and so I have seen them drop important games lots. I say our game vs Dallas is a must win for the tie-breaker.

9. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

we could be #9.

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

The win vs Boston was the only solid win we've had since the all star break. We can't rely on brewer playing like he did against Toronto, Philly and broken Memphis showed two of the weakest active rosters in the history of the NBA, and Phoenix and NO are garbage. The Portland win I guess should count for something but we sort of pulled that one out of our ass as well.

After Minnesota, we have @atl, @okc, Utah, tor, @ind, @cle, chi, OKC
    Almost all those teams are playing better than us.

11. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

We're still not sitting pretty if we can't win some games against the tough teams in the next week and a half.
    The Atlanta game tomorrow you know will be a loss and then we're right back with the mavs and jazz.
    We should hope Portland beat the mavs next two games

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Grizz aren't going 8-8. 2-14 at this pace. Lol

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

looking like #9. we've got a much tougher remaining schedule than the jazz.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's about 83% likely. That's pretty high.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The injury situation has the Grizzlies in a free fall. By year's end I think they could be down close to .500.

If I had any confidence in this team to actually start playing well, the 5 seed is very attainable IMO. But this has been an extremely steady team. We have been within 2 games of .500 basically all year long, and I fully expect that to be the result at year's end.

Maybe that makes the playoffs, maybe not. Honestly don't think it matters. One and done, get this season over with.

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

Utah can definitely move up and us or dallas might be outside looking in.

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Out of the five teams being discussed, Rockets are still the best in the last 10 games

19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

We could very easily go 0-5 in our next 5 games putting us out of the playoffs.

20. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Mmm that pick sounds delicious