1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pre-K Graduation? Really??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, May 24, 2011.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Just heard some ladies here at work talking about their kid’s pre-k graduation ceremonies coming up. Really?? We actually “graduate” from pre-kindergarten?? I mean, I’m talking a full ceremony with cap and gown, commencement speaker, little “degrees”, graduation invitations, full pomp and circumstance. It’s unbelievable to me.

So now today’s kids are “graduating” from pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, 5th grade and 8th grade. By the time they really DO graduate (from high school), they will have already done it 4 times before.

Don’t you think that takes away from the legitimate sense of accomplishment that comes from a real graduation?

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Yeah dude. My son is having one Thursday night. Silly.

3. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

[​IMG]

Helen: I can't believe you don't want to go to your own son's graduation.
    Bob: It's not a graduation. He is moving from the 4th grade to the 5th grade.
    Helen: It's a ceremony!
    Bob: It's psychotic!

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

the valedictorian must be one hell of a napper.

5. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

Yes stupid and I am going to my son's tomorrow.

It started withthe parents of Gen Y ...everything is coddled and everyone is a winner. Those entering the work force now are causing issues with upper management. But apparently the good thing is they are very collaborative.

It will be interesting to see what shifts as Gen X shift parenting standards over the next 10 plus year.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It would be 5 times if they also graduated from the streets.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

Yup...that's why there's so many new college grads these days who, after being told for years that they can do "anything they set their mind to," face a harsh reality when trying to carve out a career.

8. RV6

RV6 Member

To the parents who say it's lame, how do your kids feel about it?

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

The wife of rhad used to work at a career office for a large university. She used to routinely come home with funny stories about no-experience-at-all new MBA grads expecting 6-figure salaries...

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

I guess transition from one school to the next might be justified. But Pre-K graduations? Lol. At the most it should be 5th, 8th, and 12th.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Not a parent yet (ask me again in 13 weeks :)), but should we parent by constantly catering to our kids feelings? What kind of adult would that kid turn into?

I never "graduated" until the end of 12th grade and I somehow managed to forge on without being emotionally scarred for life.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Too many flower child parents who sent their kids to special schools with no emphasis on grades or competition.

That **** might cut it in Europe, but this is cut-throat capitalist America, nobody is holding your dick in the urinal in the corporate world. The same guy who was your best friend yesterday is ratting you out to save his own skin the next day.

Kids need public school to learn that they aren't ****. It keeps the average ones grounded and average.

Luckily the clutchfans BBS gave me the cynicism I needed to survive in the real world.

1 person likes this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Everybody gets a trophy. We suck at life now.

14. giddyup

giddyup Member

My "middle" daughter graduates from fifth grade in a couple of weeks. The whole class is going to a swim party at the community pool across the street!

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

Before high school there really should just be one "graduation" type ceremony for kids - thats kindergarten - the kids are still small enough where they look cute in little caps and gowns and its before they start the numbered school grades.

Anything before that I think is unnecessary and anything after that isnt a high school or college type grad is also unnecessary

I heard of an middle school graduation before going into high school and it just made me laugh. Middle School really?

16. Lynus302

Lynus302 Member

Graduation marks the end childhood/adolescent education and the beginning of adult education.

Pre-K graduation is f***ing stupid.

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

I suddenly have an odd sense of accomplishment.

18. Qball

Qball Member

It's a good way to get the kid to see how important school is. It's definitely a lil corny and may seem like a waste of time to adults. But in a kids mind, he/she thinks "wow this school thing must be important". It's not about making everyone feel like a winner (like in lil league, losing team gets a trophy).

Same thing happens at work. New hires will be given a project to work on with a reward tied to it. It will be almost meaningless but it instills confidence in them. 5 years later, they'll be given multiple hard ass projects with no real reward.

Now a grad thing for going from 3rd to 4th is just overboard.

19. Major Malcontent

What is a Pre-K or Kindergarten Graduation like anyway. Graduation is about the most boring event possible. I attended two (one HS, one College) for friends last year. I can't imagine subjecting a 4 or 5 year old to that kind of boredom...hopefully its a very short or fun ceremony.

Heck I am going to get my (delayed by more than 20 years) B.A just before Christmas and I am already dreading the boredom, would probably bail on marching but I don't want to disappoint family and friends who want to see me actually do it after all this time.

* I may be extra cynical about graduation, because I was in High School band and for Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors graduation was about playing Pomp and Circumstance approximately 8 trillion times.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There is nothing wrong with it. The kids have fun and feel a sense of accomplishment.