1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PRC Territorial Expansion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 10, 2016.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I realize all that you say about China, it certainly have its problems, just like about every other country. People forget the bad stuff quickly, the what have you done for me today mentality is common all over the world. in 1977, you need ticket to buy matches, soap, cloth, egg, cooking oil, everything you can imagine, including 2 oz of meat per person per month, and this is in one of the top major cities in China. In country side, you have kids running around with no cloth on during the winter and people had to take out the fillings in winter jackets to make comforters to be able to sleep at night, some had to eating tree leafs because they do not have enough to eat(my mom lived in one of those villages when she was forced to work on the farm in 1976), for someone who have not experience that time, you jump to your conclusions too easily.

2. adoo

adoo Member

ur less-than-informed.

China was at the absolute bottom when the Gov't tried to force fit the Great Leap Forward policy; this folly lasted from 1958 to 1961. many of its citizens were under-nourished. that's why the whole world was in shock, in 1962, when the Indian Army got its ass kicked by the under-nourished PLA.

By 1977, the Chinese economy had improved to the point when it was ready for the next phase of Economic Reforms, capitalism w Chinese characteristics, implemented by Deng. the rest is history

that's what they say about Japan, Taiwan, SK and Singapore. they succeeded in mfg and then expanded into other industry. China has been on that path.

If lo-cost mfg was that easy, the Phillipines would have been the first one to succeed, even B4 Japan ; but corruption got into way.

you must been living in a cave.

you do know about Alibaba, JD.com, Baidu.com, Hua wei, etc., no?

you do know that Ferrari is about to move its Asia headquarter from Hong Kong to Shanghai, no?
    they've been saying that since India gained its independence in 1949.

#1 stumbling block has been its low literacy rate, the outgrowth of its de facto caste system;
    According to the CIA fact book, India's literacy rate is ~ < 80% , whereas it is close to 100% for China
    Literacy is defined as having the ability to read and comprehend newspaper articles

#62 adoo, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  3. Nook

Nook Member

No, I am not poorly informed. I studied the Chinese economy quite a bit in college and have a masters in economics. In 1976 the Chinese economy was terrible. Most of the economic changes started in 1978.

When I said absolute bottom, I did not mean in China or Chinese history. I meant compared to other GDP measures of similar nations.

Also referring to luxury producers in China means very little. There is no doubt, that there is a rich ruling class, as to be expected from a production based economy. The average GDP in China is 70th in the world in GDP per person behind such heavy weights as Mexico and Venezuela. South Korea has a PPP of over 3 times that of China.

The Japanese and Hong Kong economies were built by and modeled on the Western systems.

The PRC are oppressive and do not believe in basic rights to privacy or commerce.

As for India, I agree with you on the caste system and the culture. Having said that, India has seen tangible improvements. I have no desire to live their either.

4. adoo

adoo Member

as compared to whom ?

if you didn't mean the absolute bottom, u'd not have said absolute bottom.
    from 1958-1962, China was near the bottom compared to most countries. China had no foreign trades, except w Russia. it was economic hell.

from 1962 1977, it had made tremendous improvement. in 1977, PRC had been trading w some European countries and
    even w the USA, which began shortly after Nixon's visit in ~ 1971

it pales in comparison to the PRC

so too are the Phillipines and Puerto Rico

HK was a British colony governed by British Law.
    but, to be technically accurate, its economic / financial infrastucture was built from scratch, within the framework of British Law,
    by former Shanghainese bankers who had migrated to the colony after the Chinese Civil War.​

you sure have mangled up that economic verbiage

avg GDP ??? GDP per capita??? PPP?? [​IMG]
    so much for your masters in economics, so you claim !

#64 adoo, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  5. Nook

Nook Member

#1 someone is sensitive and insecure.

#2 In 1976 China was 126th out of 136 nations in the world in PP GDP. Compared to their contemporaries they were at the absolute bottom.

#3 As far as your boast about the PRC compared to India....Congrats the PRC is better than India? I guess that is something to be proud of.

#4 Yeah, Hong Kong was built on the Western Model, as I said.

#5 It is obvious PPP is a typo, as I discussed the PP GDP of China.

#6 I have a Masters in Economics and a Juris Doctorate.

#7 China is ruled by a bunch of scumbags that don't believe in basic human rights for their own people or others.

Deckard likes this.
  6. hlcc

hlcc Member

I have my doubts about India. While it's true certain economists have been hyping India for a while now, their reasoning is usually centered around the huge and increasing working age population in India ( they like to call it India's demographic dividend). However, India have been terrible at job creation; the # of people entering into the labor force every year far exceeds the # of jobs created every year and the terrible quality of Indian education system is not helping either. Unless they fix their job creation & education quality problem fast, that demographic dividend will turn into a time bomb.

The problems you described are not unique to China, practically every developing country have these problems even democratic ones. I don't think the Chinese leadership have done a better job than the US one in the past 30 years, but I do think they've done a very good job at improving the general quality of life for their citizens when compared to other developing nations both authoritarian and democratic in the same time period. For example just take a look at the UN's Human Development Index, basically a measurement of human development / quality of life based on income, life expectancy and education level, of all the 47 countries ranked as having a low human development index when the index started in 1990, China is the only country to have improved to having a high human development index.

As China's economy develop further, there will be greater internal pressure for the government to become more democratic. Let's see if they'll go down a similar route as pretty much all of the other successful Asian economies.

#66 hlcc, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Invisible Fan and Nook like this.
  7. WNBA

WNBA Member

Any evidence for your last claim?

Seen from USA, that country is very stable, united and peaceful. Their economy, technology, military, politics are all developing at a good pace. Their people are proud of their country, their history, and very optimistic about their future.

Scumbags can achieve that? You really can pull some weird **** out of your hateful mind.

basic human rights ??? I thought one million Iraqis should have some basic human rights too...but they were killed and their country was destroyed by NAZIs.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Weird **** out of my hateful mind? You are the moron referring to the United States being ran by NAZI's.

When you have something substantive bring it, otherwise go back to your corner.

9. adoo

adoo Member

that'd be you, pretending to be an economist !

you just publicized that you don't understand what absolute bottom means

proof of the pudding has been
    your inability to be conversant w economic verbiage, as well as not understanding what "absolute bottom" means​

10. adoo

adoo Member

as compared to his previous 3 to 4 predecessors, Xi seems to be more receptive to that, as evidenced by his relentless effort to root out corruption. perhaps, it is because that he has experienced living a democratic society. he lived in Iowa for a short while in the 1980s, living w an American family, and has returned to the farm state several times.

11. Nook

Nook Member

There is no point in trying to discuss this with you. You are obviously overly sensitive on the issue and don't have a leg to stand on so you go on tangents.

Have a good day living in your indoctrinated bubble. Xi continues to crush systemically free and independent thought.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

India is an actually democracy.

You are a very ignorant man

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

adoo likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Great!
    I don't like Donald Trump, but I think you would be doing us all a big solid by leaving the United States. Make sure you take your other alternate personality NewYorker with you.

15. adoo

adoo Member

A little off-topic; but why not
    IMO

the Dream was one of the under-appreciated ballers in the NBA, attributable to East Coast Media Bias, in particular that so-called BB analyst,
    D ick Vitale, who had also mocked the Rox for drafting YaoMing, calling the Rox's #1 pick the second coming of LaRue Martin.

until he carried the Rox to 2 NBA rings---including the schooling of Shaq in the Finals---the Dream was considered
    the second best C in the league behind the much less athletic / willing to rebound Ewing, an avg defender, who could shoot.

Ewing did out-played the Dream in a NCAA tournament game; hyped by East Coast media bias,
    that lasting image stayed in the mind of most media members​

16. Nook

Nook Member

So?

Did I ever say it wasn't a democracy?

India is extremely politically corrupt and has been for some time. Further the level of inequality is staggering.

17. adoo

adoo Member

what we have is an unsolicited corroboration

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Nook and Deckard like this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

and i counter you with

H A W A I ` I Independent & Sovereign
    [​IMG]