1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Pray for Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eurobasket23, Mar 10, 2023.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

repeat delete.

#161 DatRocketFan, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    albuster likes this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sure. I agree but it's not a fatal one. I'm just saying in the situation u described. Said teammate being double team due to sengun lack of range shouldn't always try to force it and just simply pass the ball back to the now open sengun. Sengun is quite intelligent enough and offensively competent enough to find an open man to score.

It's not like oh sengun has no offense game whatsoever and is the generic center who needs to b spoonfed a bucket if he can't shoot 3s so the guard has to overcome a double team by himself. Sengun has the passing ability plus court vision to extend a play, it's just not being utilized when a double team occurs due to ego and lack of coaching

AroundTheWorld and albuster like this.
  3. albuster

albuster Member

You are absolutely right. Unfortunately, the Rockets do not have good long-range shooters who can take great advantage of the packed defense that Sengun creates. Besides, the team is too inexperienced to exploit the opportunity of open looks that the defense gives. Imagine what above average shooters can do with open shots due to the defenses that are thrown against Sengun.

AroundTheWorld and hakeem94 like this.
  4. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Whatever helps you guys cope with your blind obsession

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. 34to11

34to11 Member

Help me out here. What exactly am I blindly obsessed about?

maj21 likes this.
  6. albuster

albuster Member

That is not to say that Sengun has no flaws at all. He has many flaws but his defense has improved and the holes in his defense and everyone else's flawed individual defense can be mitigated by better coaching. The team's defense overall is atrocious and not because of one player alone but just about everyone else. Let's see how everyone's defense goes under a new competent coach.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When I mean shrink the floor what I mean is when he's at the perimeter setting a screen opposing defenses completely ignore him from there doubling the primary ball handler, usually Green.

He's the most responsible for crowded driving lanes for slashers like Green.

8. 34to11

34to11 Member

That's not really what happens though.
    Şengün's lack of range leaves 5 players to guard 4 so the only consistently "open man" is Şengün himself.

It's Basketball 101 and it is incumbent upon Şengün to help find ways to counteract.

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If green or said guard passes the ball back we can see if sengun is able to overcome this 5 on 4 defense or not, man isnt even given the opportunity most times. Sengun has shown to b an efficient scorer and great play maker. Folks gonna stop acting like if he doesn't have range, folks should avoid passing it back to an open sengun.

10. 34to11

34to11 Member

Never said they shouldn't pass it back to him. In fact they often do reverse the ball but whenever Şengün finds himself open he is still reluctant to take the shot.
    Maybe take a few dribbles and pull up from midrange? He can't possibly drop the team's FG% any lower, lol.

Point is, if a player consistently turns down shots it inevitably bogs down the offense.

DatRocketFan likes this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sengun folks will counter that due to the short leash sengun has with silas, he doesn't take dem shots. i agree that sengun should take dem shots and have range, i just don't see him doing it under silas.

albuster and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. fchowd0311

I think Sengun should just take those shots with zero hesitation. The hesitation he does makes it very obvious to the opposing defenses that he really doesn't want to take those shots so they feel even more comfortable sagging off him.

34to11 likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

Sengun needs to roll to the rim. What I'm guessing is that if the ball handler is someone like Green and the defender on Sengun starts traping Green after the screen is set, Green has issues passing out of doubles and traps and therefore Sengun is ordered to still be in an area where Green has a clean simple passing angle to offload the ball if he is trapped. If Sengun rolls, Green doesn't have an outlet he can accurately pass to. Someone like Harden can find a rolling big man when being trapped at the perimeter but Green is no where near that yet. It's a very difficult pass to pull off.

#173 fchowd0311, Mar 11, 2023
  14. fchowd0311

Sengun needs to roll to the rim. What I'm guessing is that if the ball handler is someone like Green and the defender on Sengun starts traping Green after the screen is set, Green has issues passing out of doubles and traps and therefore Sengun is ordered to still be in an area where Green has a clean simple passing angle to offload the ball if he is trapped. If Sengun rolls Green doesn't have an outlet he can accurately pass to. Someone like Harden can find a rolling big man when being trapped at the perimeter but Green is no where near that yet.

15. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

I would've thought someone with a signature such as yours could spot that a couple of "SOFs" rooting for a player they like have clearly become outnumbered by their middle-aged sports gatekeeping counterparts.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sengun's "long, contemplative pump fake" at the 3 point line is the most irrelevant shot fake in the NBA.

It makes me want to hit the fast forward button.

I pray for Sengun to realize this

#176 SamFisher, Mar 11, 2023
    tycoonchip and 34to11 like this.
  17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

You forgot to add the most important entity getting “screwed over” by Silas the past 3 years….THE FANS!!!!!

albuster likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Being an idiot.

Be well.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He should just shoot it. It's the hostile coaching staff that introduced this unnatural hesitation, he didn't do it pre-Silas gang.