1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pray for Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eurobasket23, Mar 10, 2023.

1. maj21

maj21 Member

Yep, anyone who isn’t obsessed with Sengun is dumb..

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Totally disagree with this take. Sengun is considered a high potential player in this league. The strengths and weaknesses he displays are excellent for his age. His offensive output is elite for his age group. He can block some shots and he is a willing if bad defender.

Carlisle recognized Haliburton's potential and I think he would do the same with Sengun and envision a highly sophisticated offense run by those two. They would be ecstatic to land Sengun for Turner.

Fortunately, we wouldn't do that trade unless we were already on the brink of contending maybe.

albuster likes this.
  3. 34to11

34to11 Member

You're entitled to.

I stand by my position.

4. 34to11

34to11 Member

What about those of us who aren't exceedingly fond of KPJ (especially at point guard) but are still able to acknowledge Şengün's obvious limitations and how they impact his PT?

Check my post history and you'll see I was among the first to call for an end to the KPG@PG experiment. I also think he should have been punished far more severely for throwing a tantrum and actually leaving the area mid-game.
    That said, I still think there's a potential role for him on this team as a super-sub combo guard in the vein of Lou Williams or Jamal Crawford.

You'll also see that I thought Şengün was the steal of the draft when the Rockets traded for his rights. Like many, I dismissed the Kanter comparisons as lazy and specious.
    Unfortunately, as of right now those comps seem a bit more accurate that I had hoped.

Şengün is still very young with a LOT of room to improve, and I certainly hope he'll be able to blossom with the Rockets, but today I would be more apt to wager on him becoming a great backup center more so than an All-NBA calber big.
    I certainly don't see him as some superstar talent being repressed by the Rockets.

Does that still make me a "hater"?

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

There are no glaring holes in Sengun's game. There are, however, glaring holes in the logic of your posts.

albuster likes this.
  6. 34to11

34to11 Member

If this is your sincere belief then we have nothing more to discuss on the topic.

Be well.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That you?

[​IMG]

Would explain a lot - the quality of your posts corresponds to the quality of that guy's game, and overall behaviour.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Incorrect

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh the fact that when Sengun is setting screens on the perimeter and the original defender on Sengun just helps double the ball handler and just let Sengun stand by himself at the perimeter alone with no defender around him shows a flaw.

He isn't a floor stretcher yet and is part of the reason why the spacing on offense is bad.

34to11 likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think you've answered your question. You want him to play more and avg 30+ mins a game but based upon his limitations on a good team, he's only going to play 15-20 mins a game.

Silas is trying to win, he wants to save his job and as the Rockets get better, DEFENSE is going to become more of a priority, so if Sengun doesn't improve in that area or he doesn't become a marksman from behind the arc his mins will be limited.

12. albuster

albuster Member

You must be talking about Jalen Green. Watch him closely on defense and you may want to give him a map to find his bearings. As for spacing on offense, the opponents are consistently packing the paint, Sengun or not, because they are daring the Rockets to shoot threes that they mostly miss. If you watch the games closely, Sengun immediately gets double or triple-teamed when he gets the ball on the post because the defense knows that, one, the Rockets do not know how to utilize Sengun's post-play and secondly, that even if they leave their man open the Rockets are inept at shooting the threes. These flaws are obvious if you watch opponents' defenses closely without your colored lens. Ultimately, the responsibility for pointing these out remains with Silas who is so incompetent and quite clueless as far as knowing his team's strengths and weaknesses while doing the same with the opponents. Watch the opponents' defensive schemes more and you will see what I mean.

#152 albuster, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  13. 34to11

34to11 Member

Not quite, but I'm glad you caught the reference.
    That suggests the possibility that you aren't really quite as dense as your comments portray.

And for the record, RW had game. It was the rest of his decision-making that was suspect.

14. fchowd0311

Green has plenty of flaws currently. I'm talking to someone who says Sengun has none and I'm saying on OFFENSE Sengun shrinks the floor and defenses leave him wide open at the perimeter.

I don't know how this has to do with Green on defense? Yes he is very lost off ball on ball he's good.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

If you think "RW had game" while thinking Alperen Sengun has "glaring holes in his game", that says it all.

RW was never ever the player Sengun already is.

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

That can b interpret in many ways but if coach properly said player being double team should always pass it back to the now open sengun so he could make his magic with his play making. The way u phrase it sounds like sengun is unable to make plays out of a broken down d or do anything due to his lack of range but man is pretty capable of finding an open man with his passing ability. It's if his teammate are aware of the passes that could b coming their way that more of an issue

albuster likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Dude srop using the most absurd takeaway from someone's comment to deflect from Sengun having any flaw at all.

He's 20. He's going to have flaws. Of course he's better than Royce White. When you say he has no flaws it makes it clear you have thick blinders on and aren't anywhere near the realm of objective.

34to11 likes this.
  18. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Imagine the strife going on over here if we get Victor and keep Sengun, and they have to split minutes at the 5. The Franko Turkish War round 2, clutchfans edition.

19. fchowd0311

Sengun being a good passer doesn't mean Sengun doesn't have a flaw. His flaw is that he shrinks the defense rather than stretches it. It's a flaw currently.

20. 34to11

34to11 Member

Comprehension really isn't your strong suit is it?
    White's game and Şengün's deficiencies are NOT mutually exclusive.

And as for that last sentence, save your straw man for story time.