1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Praise for Pig (Chron)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2164725

MICHAEL MURPHY
    Houston Chronicle

Speaking Pig Latin

Recently signed 6-9 power forward Anthony Miller played 64 games with the Rockets during the 1998-99 and 1999-2000 seasons. He came back for one game in 2001, so Miller is thoroughly familiar with the organization.

But there is a potential problem looming.

Miller eschews his given name of Anthony, instead preferring to be addressed by his nickname of "Pig." Miller takes such pride in his nickname that he has a tattoo on one shoulder depicting a pig with the word "Oink" written beneath it, and he usually has a phone number with the last four digits corresponding to the letters O-I-N-K on the keypad.

The problem?

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy can't bring himself to refer to Miller as "Pig."

"He's slimmed down, so he's Anthony now," Van Gundy said. "I told him I can't do it. Anthony is in. I like him. I think he's at a point now, after playing overseas, he'll be anything the coach wants him to be."

Then again, Van Gundy admitted that perhaps Miller might have the upper hand in the name game.

"If he rebounds the ball," said Van Gundy, laughing, "I'll call him whatever he wants. And he can call me anything he wants to, too."

Van Gundy took a break from the comedy to address what a fringe player like Miller can mean to a team.

"We need more guys like him," Van Gundy said. "We need more guys who are willing to do whatever is asked. It's hard sometimes to get out of yourself and get into the team, and you need some guys who have totally found out what their lot in NBA life is and are willing to be directed in any direction.

"I don't know him that well, but he appears to be the kind of guy who will do what is asked."

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

and right there ladies and gentlemen...is the reason why Pig is a good signing for us.

He may not be the most talented guy on the team...but if he will work hard and follow orders...we can use him.

3. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I always liked him. He plays hard every night, that and because he plays with a toothpick in his mouth :cool:

4. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

A Rebounding Pig.

Just when you thought you've seen it all...

This is consistent with JVG philosophy. We have here a teachable, mentally tough, role player. Something about these players who spend time playing overseas seems to make them mentally tougher. It's a good pickup, IMO and if I were EG, I'd be practicing harder and getting my act together.

Minutes have to be earned.

:D

theSAGE

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i always liked pig. i remember the first year he was a rocket. him and thomas '2 sammiches' hamilton were on the team for the first time. while 2 sammiches thought he was the next coming of shaq and demanded the ball, pig just did what he knew was expected out him--played hard. maybe he'll slim down just enough so that he'll finally look like jay z and not a fat jay z.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I love getting him back. Pig always worked his butt off and just as the article and everyone else is saying, he'll do what you ask and then some. Sounds like he's in great shape, too.

PIG!!

7. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I just watched "Rudy" tonight, and this thread sort of echoes the movie. Kind of ironic.

Good to have the Pig back.

OINK!