1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Power Forward:Eliyahu?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketswinitall, Jun 15, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rocketswinitall

Any chance that Lior Eliyahu(Sp?) can fill the pf hole?

2. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Are you serious???

I don't think he's even NBA ready. Hopefully they'll have him at camp, but I highly doubt he makes the team at the start of the year, much less him "filling the pf hole." :(

3. Barkley

Barkley Member

No way. He's too young and he's been playin' in Europe. We need a solid PF not another Hayes (but i like Chuck)

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lior: I am Tim Duncan in Israel.

5. lex13

lex13 Member

No chance. According to DraftExpress :
    He also seems too small for a PF. Although technically choose my the Orlando Magic in 2006 draft, the pick was purchased by the Rockets. So it was really the Rockets choice.

I'm still dumbfounded why a team in "win now" mode, with needs at PF that had just select Novack would choose this guy over Paul Millsap-the only player in NCAA history to lead in rebounding 3 years in a row. Utah was smart enough to grab him, but then Utah is a much smarter organization than the Rockets.

6. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

No chance that even if he was ready to come to the NBA he is too small to be the type of Power Forward needed to play along side of Yao Ming.
    His position in the NBA would be Small Forward. :p

7. AXG

AXG Member

He's too small and not very strong. I'm not sure he's even NBA-ready yet.

8. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

Maybe in another 2 years.

9. Astockmarketgod

truth of the matter is... the Rox lucked out when they picked up Yao...and Tmac comming over because of him...

without the pick... Rox probably would still be celler dwellers today

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets took Eliyahu as a project who would develop overseas without the team having to pay him or have him count against the roster or salary cap. It had nothing to do with immediate team needs.

11. lex13

lex13 Member

Obviously it had nothing to do with immediate needs; that's what's dumbfounding. They claimed the Battier trade and all their other moves were to win now while the window is open. Doesn't this strike you as inconsistent?

12. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

sorry, thats what I think about when I hear his name

13. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

There is a big difference in win now and making a selection or trade with the 8 pick versus a pick in the 40s. They expected Battier to make an immediate impact and help win now rather then wait for a #8 pick to develop.

With a mid second round pick, you are hoping to get lucky and if not then at least get a player who can develop outside of your organization for a few years in Europe.

Of course in hindsight, Milsap would have been a better pick for last year. But obviously most teams did not think he would have had that kind of impact or else he would have been picked higher.

Same goes for Josh Howard. He was bypassed by so many teams. The mavs picked him with the last pick in the first round. They seem brilliant for doing so, but honestly if they had the 20th pick that year, my guess is they would have passed on him. Boozer has a similar story.

I dont think there are any mid to late second round picks like Milsap or Eliyahu that teams expect will help you right away.

14. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

he'll make the team but he won't be starting and I doubt he sees any time at PF. Adelman likes sending cutters to the basket and that's about all Lior does well.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

Also from that page:

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't think you'll even see Eliyahu in a Rockets uni this season.

17. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Hopefully Spanoulis, Eliyahu, and possibly Badiane can work themselves into the starting lineup next season. This team is in desperate need of a youth infusion.

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

In the NBA, Organizational Intelligence is measured by championships. Houston leads 2 - Zippo. There are some better organizations out there but Utah isn't one of them. So be careful with your judgements lest you sound like a troll.

19. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

he needs to put up some meat in that body in order to compete with the PFs in the NBA today...i guess he needs another 1 or 2 years abroad before coming here...(i still remember the days when we dreamt of spanoulis tsk tsk)