1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Power crush?] Why are Republicans obsessed with Hillary Clinton?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by g1184, May 14, 2014.

1. g1184

g1184 Member

I've noticed quite a bit of anti-Hillary campaigning, both from official GOP channels and from conservatives on this message board. The strange thing is, there's no official pro-Hillary movement ... because she isn't even running yet, and the 'left' hasn't decided if they'll support her if she does.

So, what gives? Why is the 'right' obsessed with this lady? Is this some school yard thing where you chase and tease the girl you like?

2. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

So is The Economist some right-wing rag now? I mean, their last Lexington column was on the difficulties that Hillary Clinton might have running for president. If a respectable newsite like that can talk about her candidacy, why is it particularly strange for conservatives to get out and oppose it?

3. g1184

g1184 Member

here's your link:
    http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21601847-win-presidency-mrs-clinton-must-excite-people-who-rarely-vote-hillarys-biggest-test

You have a valid point, but they're still opposing a hypothetical scenario. Why not tout the potential republican candidate instead of allowing the potential possible threat of a Hillary campaign dominate their talking points?

"Hilary's an OK candidate, BUT you should take a look at XXXX instead - now there's a real candidate."

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Seems sensible to me. Hillary is the presumed frontrunner for the Democrats while it's still an open question for the Republicans. All negative campaigning will be directed at Hillary, but positive campaigning for Republicans would be fractured at this point.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Why are the democrats obsessed with Chris Christie?

PWN3D

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Now that the scandal's died down, I haven't heard much about Christie.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

maybe Hillary's about to suffer the same fate

8. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Wait...Benghazi is dying down? I thought it was about to explode.

Get your story straight.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

because the repubs know that they are a dying breed and are likely to lose another presidential race. They need to start the campaigning/mud-slinging right now.

10. RocketRed11

RocketRed11 New Member

Yes because only republicans mud sling..smh

11. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I honestly don't have a problem with most of Christie's policies.

He supports an across the board 10% tax decrease, which would obviously be popular, I just don't think it is really a great approach for the time being. If the focus is debt reduction this would require an unachievable amount and equal spending cuts. For this point I can't say it is a deal breaker, just something I think is semi irresponsible given our current fiscal situation.

He, like Obama, will not be a foreign relations improver. I think he will have a tough time because of who he is painted as...a tough, loud american. While Obama is cautious cutting his steak with a butter knife, Christie would be hacking his steak and shoving it down his face. A nice medium would be good for me, but I do like that Obama and Christie are seemingly anti military engagement.

I think Christie would make a good candidate overall, but I do not think he can survive his own party. The credit downgrades of NJ, his lack of concern with Iranian nuclear production, and smearing of his image will, IMO, be more than enough to ruin his for the nomination.

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

[BREAKING] Fox Nation Thought Hillary's Head Injury Was Fake, But Now It Means She Can't Be President

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

One word, OP. Fear.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hillary and the Dems know she can't step in the spotlight now and run a 24-month campaign. She would grow stale in the public eye and potshots by Republicans would wear her down. Hillary will stay on the shelf as long as possible and then launch with a big bang.

Republicans keep lobbing grenades because they want the public to grow tired of her. Besides health issues or a new scandal, it's about their only shot of winning in 2016.

Deckard has it right.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously they are attacking her because they fear her.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Which is funny since she's basically Republican lite. It's a pity that she's a luck. I'd love to see a real progressive run.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Edit: that's she's a lock.

Just to add, I hate it when one candidate is anointed the winner before even declaring.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The Koch Brothers and the 1% know they can't elect a President. The attacks on Ms. Clinton are just an extension of the attacks on Mr. Obama. The purpose is to establish an anti-federal government position that local and regional candidates can run against. It provides the Us vs. Them that allows them to elect enough Congressmen to obstruct any future reforms.

If their Congressmen had to run on their own record, they couldn't keep electing their incumbents. Has Louie Gohmert ever actually championed any successful legislation? Is there any issue he is actually for that isn't regressive?

We are fu**ed by the oligarchy and their paid shills, they own the information machine for a large percentage of voters and don't give a crap about journalistic integrity.

#18 Dubious, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

How exactly is she Republican lite? This should be interesting.

Me too. I despise "political families".

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Are you asking why they are obsessed with the likely democrat nominee?

Do you know there's an election coming up?

For, you know, the highest office in the nation?

And she's running and stuff?