1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential Targets for our roster space

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by allanivan, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, update on this end:

1. The Rockets signed Courtney Fortson to a 10-day contract.
    2. The Rockets are reported to be close to waiving Derek Fisher after a buyout.
    3. So, the Rockets currently have 1 open roster spot, about to have 2 open spots in a few days once Fisher is gone.

4. After the trade deadline, several NBA teams have released player on the roster (including the Rockets with Terrence Williams and soon Fisher), the other guys I've heard being released (or may be released) are:

Ronny Turiaf
    Andres Nocioni
    Anthony Carter

I believe these guys need 48 hours to clear waiver wire before becoming free agents.

Chances are multiple teams will go after each of these guys. The Rockets and Miami, for example both have interest in Anthony Carter according to reports.

5. Former Rocket Jeff Adrien is playing for BC Khimki in Russia. I think he is under contract for the remainder of the season and likely not an option.

Anyhow...

My guess is that the Rockets are waiting on at least one of these released NBA guys to go through the waiver process, possibly two of them. Guys currently not in the NBA (D-Leaguers like Fortson) could have been signed already.

Not sure if any one of them would look at Houston since there are teams out there with more available minutes other than at the PG position.

Turiaf is a competent big guy and a great locker-room guy/cheerleader-- but will he sign on to be the 5th big on the depth chart?

Nocioni might consider Houston to practice/hang out with Olympic teammate Scola. He would be a decent option as a spread PF or SF.