1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

potential spring board game???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rwienert, Feb 14, 2008.

1. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I remember a game a few years ago where the Rockets were losing to the Knicks. I think I remember Jamal Crawford banking in a 3 with a few seconds left to take the lead. (also seem to remember the rockets blowing a big lead in this one too). end result was a scott padgett leaner that won the game at the buzzer. that game served as a sort of jumping off point for a team that had met mixed results all year, but finally got its act together.

I'm wondering if this game could have the same effect. I realize the team has been playing great over the last 10-15 games, but this team is still at the bottom of the playoff picture. It sucks the team still can't hold a lead, but maybe this is a turning point. I can't imagine a better way to head into the all-star break than winning a game on a last second shot. That kind of momentum should carry over the all star break...

I thought this might deserve it's own thread because it's more of a response to the poll on the front page. If people fill other wise, do you whatever you need to do.

2. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I don't see it as a springboard game, or a "wake up" game either, frankly. People say "we still can't hold on to leads", but that's what we've been doing in all the previous games. For the past 7 games or so, opposing teams have attempted to make their move in the 4th quarter and our guys clamped down. These things happen in the NBA. Teams make runs. It was going to happen sooner or later. Sometimes you just have to eke out a clutch victory.

The significance of this W is that it preserves our momentum into the All Star Break. That's basically it. Gotta keep winning. One way or another, keep winning. It would've sucked to drop this last one at home, but in the end, we didn't. Give the Kings credit. It was a great comeback.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm more pessimistic than you. I think the fourth quarter showed some of our weaknesses. In particular, I'm really concerned with T-Mac's inability to get going at home. He's averaging under 16 ppg and shooting 38% at home this year, in 17 games. That's just crazy. He needs to figure out a way to get out of his rut. The Rockets have to get him going in the second half, because I honestly don't believe we're going to beat the really good teams in a playoff series if T-Mac isn't a consistent, reliable scoring option.

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I'll agree on the point about T-Mac though. He continues to struggle at home. Rick Adelman has had lots of problems to sort through this season, and this is one he has to tackle head on. And soon.

5. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

I agree with JeopardE in the sense that leads are dropped always in the NBA regardless of which team it is. The other team will most often always make a run. The question becomes how you handle it. I think the Rockets handled it terribly tonight, obviously, but for the most part they have been getting better.

There have been games where the Rockets have just closed a team out well.

I also agree that T-Mac needs to find a way to ball better than he is right now. Not just personal numbers or anything, just real play. I know Artest is big and physical and imposing but the guy isn't so great T-Mac should not have let Artest bully him around. That was just weak, and I don't mean physically. T-Mac always played well against Artest before, why not tonight? Unless he had some whack reason, that was a terrible performance. Especially how it took him until the last :20 of the game to figure out "Oh wow, maybe I should drive in now. Ok...I will just dump it off to Yao in traffic instead of finishing or trying to finish. Almost resulting in a turnover. Nice going, me."

:mad:

*Rant Over*

OK what will be nice is beating Cleveland on their home floor after the All-Star break to really boost momentum. We really need to win that game...but you can say that about any game. :D

6. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Thank you.

7. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Yeah, but why are his numbers down? He's not playing his normal game, he's making a real effort to transition into Adelman's system. I give him a lot of credit during the homestand for playing with real discipline and keeping his shot attempts down so that the rest of the team can flourish.

Give him time. It takes human beings a while to learn. He's new to the system right now but I think there's every chance that he can learn how to be effective within it.

8. kwng

kwng Member

I think there were a few games in this season where the opponent increased their intensity of play, started zoning or increased the pressure full court i.e. the first game against LA, the 76ers, NOH and Scaramento. When opponent did that we just meltdown. We could not think, pass and made score when the intensity is ramped up. It's probably a mental thing but I hope the coach and other speciailist can rectify it.