1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential Rocket Profile: Jay Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 24, 2005.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Thanks, Clutch.

I still have to say no to Jay. 2 years out of the league with some devastating injuries. The fact that he can walk without a limp is amazing, let alone play basketball at a high level.

I wish him good luck, just not in Rockets red.

3. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

It'd be great to see Jay Williams make it back into the NBA but let's be honest, his game was predicated on his quickness. The severness of his leg injuries makes him into a jump shooter at best (as Clutch pointed out, he wasn't very good at that) and a defensive liability.

I'd invite him to play on the summer league team and see what he can do but I'm sure some team looking for pub will sign him up.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Sign him to the league minimum for two years, with team option on the second. If he can't play at the NBA level anymore, he is a one year bet. He should be an excellent influence on the team, if his work ethic is for real.

5. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

IMO

if he can play run,shoot,reb,move the ball ofensive,and defend pretty good

he's rolling and is a good adition to the team for backup try them for a year with a 1.5 million offer or less

hey we have Charlie Ward as a backup or starter

6. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I'd love to have him to be our 3rd PG. If he shows some progress, he will eventually get into JVG's rotation

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I wouldn't say 'No' out of hand, but -- BUT -- who knows what remains physically or where the upside stops. I have to leave that to those with a close look at Jason Will, and he does have a lot of will, at this 'point'.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I would say no also, but I would like to give this guy a shot.

He would start off being a good bench player. But after a few years, he might be the PG of our future.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

from JVG's POV:

1. this would be a bold move, and potentially risky, but we have to roll the dice if we want to be top 4.

2. making room for him could mess with chemistry.

3. before we sign him we would have to make a trade to have room for him.

if his workouts go well, and he plays well on a summer league team then JVG has to be interested.

10. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

he is a VERY poor man's Steve Francis. No thanks =) Although, good luck to him on another team... I never really liked his game, even in Duke. I wouldn't even have selected him with the #2 pick.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What if he more than proves he's back and at the end of that second year, teams are thowing $10 million a year at him? The Rockets can only offer Early Bird money.

12. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

This is where I was going.

He is damaged goods. I personally wouldn't take the chance, unless it was league minimum. I mean he's gotta be better than Moochie.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Different time, different player, but I keep thinking of another former Duke PG (Bobby Hurley) trying to come back from major injuries from a vehicle accident.

14. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Randy Livingston is what I envision when I think of the return of Jason Williams. Livingston was a prep phenom turned slow-footed bust after a severe injury during college. Of course, he had his tour of duty with the Rockets and was nothing short of horrific.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Can't really say anything until he starts working out for teams. Obviously if he is anywhere from 75-80% ready, there will be interest from a lot of teams.

He will have a lot to prove on and off the court. IF he is anywhere close to ready, I wouldn't mind picking him up on a cheap contract. He will obviously have to play limited minutes at first but JWill did show some flashes of greatness before his injury.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

There's really nothing to lose by establishing a relationship with the kid. Which in my opinion, should have started years ago, by sending our trainer. But since that can longer be done... who cares, he's cheap, so why not take a risk. I don't think the the summer is gonna be enough to determine much of anything. It would take him at least a half season to become bad again. Whoever signs him is in it for the long haul. But like I said, why not. We'll just cut back on the visitors lockeroom next year in order to make room for his salary.

17. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Maybe an invitee to training camp then go from there.
    I trust JVG.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

If he's in any semblance of NBA form I would like the rox to offer him the vet minimum or 1.5 mil exception. Hopefully one/both of Jay/spoonyless would work out and we'd have some good youth at pg.

Then we could concentrate more on pf and sg with the draft and mle.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd give him a workout over Eddie Griffin...

20. Nautic

Nautic Member

Obviously he is a lot smarter than the other JWills (Jason Williams and Jayson Williams). If his health condition swings as frequently as his name changes, he may be a serious risk for Rox to take.