1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential GM Candidate for the Astros?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Sep 13, 2007.

1. leroy

leroy Member

Can't argue with the success of the Twins minor league system over the past decade. They've put out some very good players. He knows how to work with a jackass owner and within a budget. Might be the perfect candidate for the job...

2. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

It will never happen,there is a reason while all these candidates have never been a gm in the majors. They are cheap a guy like Ryan with 12yrs expierence would be too expensive and the old man isnt gonna pay it.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

there are a lot of other candidates. There were 3 or 4 articles out there.. I was way too lazy to post them.. the "offseason" has already begun..

4. MadMax

MadMax Member

I'm all for Terry Ryan getting the 'stros job. I'd love that.

5. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Member

Just heard on 790 that Ryan is staying in Minnesota as a consultant. He was just burnt out.

6. Zac D

Zac D Member

Cool. What about Bob Watson?

7. Preston27

Preston27 Member

Isn't that what most do until all the other firings/resignations are done with? Every time i see someone take a consultant's job they are in another city with their previous job the very next season.

8. blathersby

blathersby Member

Too bad Tal Smith won't do it. He could make the 'Stros into a contender.

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Fox 26 just said that the three candidates for the GM job are now former Philadelphia general manager Ed Wade, former Montreal and Baltimore general manager Jim Beattie, and Philadelphia assistant GM Ruben Amaro Jr.

10. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

doesn't matter. uncle drayton will be hiring ed wade as the next gm.

11. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Member

Kind of disappointing, I was hoping for Logan White.

Oh well, hopefully one of the three can get the Astros turned around.

12. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Member

If we hire Ed Wade, I'll be furious. He was reviled here in Philly -- all you ever heard about was how Ed Wade was a total yes man for ownership and was gunshy about making any deals (big or small). Plus, he hired Charlie Manuel over Jim Leyland, IIRC.

13. meh

meh Member

That is a sad, sad, list. Well, maybe Ruben Amaro Jr. has potential(ala Morey), but it's hard to imagine he can actually make decisions after what happened to Pupura.

14. Zac D

Zac D Member

And while the phrase "reviled here in Philly" may not make some of you quake with fear, given how common that is, Ed Wade gave David Bell $17 million over four years. David was, you may recall, a pretty bad hitter - worse, certainly, than Ty Wigginton, to whom I don't think it would be wise to give a similar contract - although his defense was pretty good. Good thing Ty's under club control.

Also please note that the end of Ty Wigginton's Baseball-Reference URL is wiggity01.shtml.

I will be calling him Wiggity from now on.

15. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

you said it yourself "Ed Wade was a total yes man for ownership." that is uncle drayton's gm requirement.

16. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

I thought it would be ed wade, but it does appear that uncle drayton has chosen ruben amaro jr as the next gm.