1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post Season 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rileydog, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Unless the Astros steamroll the Twins, it is all but certain that Dusty Baker decisions will matter and possibly/probably be second guessed. Call your shot on key decisions and moves, and let’s see if we can out manage the manager (instead of 2020 hindsight).

1. McCullers is being held to “start” Game 3 because he will pitch 3-4 innings to “close” game 1 or 2 if we are ahead. It is no accident that McCullers spent all season working on his full arsenal, but has turned the page back to a heavy curveball usage.

2. Hit kyle tucker 3rd in Game 1. He and George have been the most dynamic hitters by far and we need him to get the most ABs possible, particularly against Maeda who has been murder on righties. We need the longball to score and after Springer, Tucker is our biggest threat. Plus, on the small ball side, Tucker has shown good speed and we may need a steal in a key spot. I know this isn’t going to happen, but I’d do it.

3. Use Ryan Pressly in a key spot in the 6, 7 or 8th inning, especially if we are tied or winning. We know what his strengths are - he dominates lefties. If we need to get Kepler, polanco, Rosario or arrayed in a key spot, pull the trigger.

4. Manage game 1 like it is a game 7

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It wasn't that long ago that the Astros were having to play a 1 game, winner-take-all, wild card game.

At least this is a 3 game series.

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

1. Keep Abraham Toro out of the lineup.

2. Start Urquidy in game 2. Have Framber available for bullpen use.

4. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Toro shouldn’t ever see an AB unless Aledmys Diaz gets hurt.

Yeah, I have no idea about game 2 but I’m guessing it’s going to be Framber because he misses more bats. I love how Urquidi attacks the zone, and his performance last post season was clutch. But Minny can hit bombs and a cheap homer or two could be fatal. Urquidi is great vs lefties with his changeup, but Im not sure which of them is better against lefties.

5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Urquidy is better against lefties by quite a bit...Valdez is actually better against righties.

6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I’d most certainly have Urquidy in Game Two with the way he’s pitching.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Here. We. Go.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I think the Astros lose this series in the bullpen.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

All considered the Astros have 4 pitchers I feel pretty good about.

Greinke/Framber should be no discussion for games 1 and 2. Bad McCullers this season has been really bad, I would feel safer with Urquidy if it comes to a game 3. Javier should be our first option out of the pen if a game is close.

I fully suspect the offense continues to embarrass itself and our postseason is short.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Is it still the bullpen if the relievers are starters? If Greinke and Urquidy can get the ball to Javier and Valdez with the lead, Javier and Valdez are going to have saves provided Dusty doesn't get cute and put Pressly in.

Granted, the offense looked beat to hell so the getting a lead might be a problem.

AznH-TownFan, RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Unleash the tandem system... unless the starter has it going real good...

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That or they don't hit enough.

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

My confidence levels:

1. Javier
    2. Urquidy
    3. Valdez.
    4. Greinke
    5. McCullers

That's not gonna happen unfortunately. And we are likely going to learn some hard lessons. But let's see what happens. I really hate the 3 game series format especially for the division winners. It's torture. But the point is it gives us a chance. We match up with the Twins fairly well. And with more experience, we should hold the advantage.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Have Urquidy just come in pumped up throwing strikes... should be able to get through 3 and they won't even know what hit them.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree except I wish Astros had a different manager who could be trusted to tell the difference between real good and dumb luck.

RayRay10 and STR8Thugg like this.
  16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Why do you think Framber isn't starting? Twins don't hit lefites. He's most likely starting game 2.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

Maeda has looked really good. But we own this guy. I'm not too worried. Greinke might be slow enough to keep everything in the park. Maeda is basically solo home runs or get fooled. We've got to go yard on him a few times.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He'll have Scrubb warming up in the bullpen...

RayRay10 and Joe Joe like this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Click wants to use Framber to come in with a lead and then close that **** out whether it is 3 innings or 6. If Astros are losing Game 2, Framber will be saved for Game 3 and start Game 3 or at very minimum pitch 4-5 innings in relief.

mikol13 and RayRay10 like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Urquidy and Javier (if he doesn't give up homers) both are potentially nails in the pen. I still fear Pressly given the ball to close.