1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post-Game Analysis -- Rockets 91, Hornets 82

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

This was not one of Aaron Brook's best offensive games that he has ever played, but the same can be said about Chris Paul's offensive game as well. I would say that they were both too busy trying to shut down each other throughout the game, and they did pretty darn well in that area, thus neither one could get themselves going on the offensive end.

2. ibm

ibm Member

i say good news too, because you can make up for the mental part but not vice versa.

was that what you mean?

3. ibm

ibm Member

i don't care that you want to lose luther. but he should be credited to the defense on chris paul as well, especially in the 3rd. it wasn't just brooks, who sat down due to foul trouble for a while (weak calls, though).

4. pacmania

pacmania Member

Couldn't agree with you more man. Right from the start people were saying that Rafer is a very good backup pointguard. But to me it doesn't really matter who starts as long as the more deserving player gets substantial amount of playing time. Rafer could start for the first minute of the game, and then brooks plays the rest of the game. :D But really, rafer has skills that are very useful, its just that shooting and speed (at least compared to brooks) isn't one of them.

Watching the Celtics big 3 play, Ray Allen's speed is very underrated. He is very quick and fundamental with his moves. same with Rondo and Pierce.

Our Big 3 is still adjusting but we seem to have strength and length in our stars but they seem to lack speed.

5. pkothari1013

pkothari1013 Member

I was fortunately able to attend the game today, and was very pleased with the result. :D

I think being at home after that long road trip definitely calmed their nerves a bit, especially after the heartbreaking loss last night.

Even though Brooks wasn't as offensive as we've seen him lately, he got it done on the defensive end and effectively shut Chris Paul down. Our "Big Three" seemed to be firing on all cylinders for the most part as well. T-Mac was finally driving to the basket more, which definitely increased his shooting percentage and allowed for scoring consistency (as opposed to his lately streaky jumpshot).

And also, Von Wafer?! :eek: What an amazing shooter! Mad props to him.

6. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

and 9-1 if we beat the laker. And 10-0 if we beat the celtics.

7. ThaShark316_28

I still dont know why most of yall was worried.

Rockets own these fools when our top players around.

notice NO won the games last year when mac or yao wasn't playing.

NO aint ****.

8. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Von Wafer balled it up and Brooks played amazing D.

Also, why did T-Mac play 42 minutes? Is that how he's supposed to rehab his knee? By playing a lot?

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I forget, is today a despair day or a hopeful day?

10. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

And he kept Peja in check, that's why you forgot about him, lol.

11. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

GREAT defensive game by Houston

Our offense is definitely a work in progress...First half, the flow of the offensive was great

It started to deteriorate as the game moved along. Less and less ball movement and more one-on-one...I think Ric needs to fix that

We should be fine when we get more and more time together

12. sw847

sw847 Member

Is it just me or did Head actually play quite well tonight? (well except for the two turnovers in the first quarter).

13. MONON

MONON Member

I have to confess that I was soooooo depressed after the way we played last night :( that I didn't follow the game tonight. I just knew that CP3 would destroy us. I was going to bed when I decided to go ahead & see how badly we did and to my amaisement saw that we actually won. From the post game, it sounds like everyone played well and Brooks improved on his defense and running the offense.

I apologize for my lack of faith and dutifully accept the punishment my wife deams neccessary later on tonight.

14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Yeah. It's fun to root for an overachieving team (classic case: Cuttino Mobley), but you know the reaper's waiting for you at playoff time, if not before. Much more frustrating to watch a team this good on paper play poorly. But at the same time, you know that if they got their $%^& together they could go all the way.

There were parts of the Phoenix game, like Yao diving on the floor and boxing out and one-handing boards, and McGrady passing on that lazy jumper and going to the rack, where I thought I saw a gear they're holding in reserve.

15. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Houston still struggles with consistency, if this problem does not get solved we will be the best and worst team come playoff time.

CP3 is AB's biatch

16. mms

mms Member

After the last two games I finally realize that AB is not suitable to our starting pg job. He DOES NOT have the court vision.

17. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I missed the game, does anyone know if NBAtv will rebroadcast the game.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Great game. Good way to close out the weekend.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Well guys remember it has been a 11 day road trip. That is tiring mentally and physicall. We had an insanely tough schedule to start off with, and most of us were expecting a 5-5 or 4-6 in the first few games against all the elites. But amazingly, we were 6-4, and literally 2 field goals away from a 8-2. We're also Battierless. I think Hornets have just become our favourite opponents, just like how the feared Spurs were Hakeem's b!tch back then.

I can't wait for Battier to return, we need and want Ron on the bench. I think Battier's injury is a blessing in disguise so our big 3 can play together and develop chemistry for crunch time. Otherwise, I think Ron is much more suited as a 6th man for our team, and I think he can become a force if he played with Wafer and Brooks.

20. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Solid win tonight.

I really like this team. We don't look super fancy, and I think that will continue, but we are tough defensively, only to get tougher with the return of Battier.

And we have so many offensive weapons now. Adding Artest, and having him go at people, through people, really helps, even if he only does it a few times. It really serves to see the other team's defense get run at every once in a while. Wafer's shooting is a nice surprise. AB is getting more confidence/ experience. He dogged Chris Paul tonight. Got some tough calls though.

Scola was solid defensively, and hit his mid range jumper pretty consistently in this one.

And we will be more solid when Battier returns. I can't wait to see him and Ron tag team defensively. Battier's three point shooting will help Yao, as it will spread the floor. And lets not forget, Artest is playing hard defense every night. With Battier helping out, I think that will help Ron's offensive game.

With everyone in place this team is second to none.