1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Post-Game Analysis: Pacers 91, Rockets 90

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

correction. no one shot well.

2. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

JVG would bust the players rumps. I saw a lot of JVG games, and the thing was back then we were the team that wouldnt quit and come from behind. Believe me back then when teams played the Rockets, they knew they could not take the night off.

Now we are a stronger deeper team, but we unfortunately are blowing leads to a Starless Spur team, and the Indiana Pacers, however when we play the Celtics the game is decided in the final minutes. We play to the level of our competition and not to ours.

3. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I'd rather have Billips... :( But that ship has sailed.

4. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

7'5 player not dunking but a 5'8 player in nate robinson dunking. Yao is 7'5 or 7'6 whatever it is all he has to do is lift his arms up n dunk
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZE9fXaUCP5o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZE9fXaUCP5o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. dadesokan

dadesokan Contributing Member

Seriously, I would say these games are meaningless because if we are talking about winning a championship, you should be ready to beat every one once may rolls around. What baffles me is the character of this team and the level of ineptness exhibited by the coach.

This painful loss establishes some crucial reality:

1. With Alston as the starting point guard for this team, we CANNOT win a championship. He is too erractic and career stats show that he cannot shoot or drive/penetrate consistently. A PG on a championship team needs to be able to do at least one of the other to be able to contend. Rafer needs to go.!!!

2. Yao is a great center, but his limitations due to his size and slowless when playing against quicker players defensively and when playing again fronting defense brings to reality that if our offense has to go through him to win a championship, teams like boston and LA would be able to neutralize him. After all these years, he is just not strong enough to be able to dominate against unconventional centers that can move quickly. He is just not dominant enough to get it done night in night out.

3. Coach RA is looking like the wrong solution for the rockets as coach. Even though we are now 10 - 6 on the season, the wins have not exhibited the reason we fired JVG and brought him here, OFFENSE. Where is the magical ball movement that gave us 22 wins last season? Is it not the same players, with the addition of more talent in Barry and Artest? It seems we are going back to the rudy days of just dumping the ball the Dream, unfortunately Yao is no Dream. This offense is becoming too predictable, JVG is beginning to look like a genius the way he got this team to play defense.

4. Overall this team is just not build to win it all with Rafer at the point and this coach.

6. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Me too but we could actually have a shot at Rip. He's been in a slump ever since the AI trade so maybe we could get him a bit cheaper than we would have before.

I remember the Rip + Sheed for Tmac offer...whew

7. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

you named 3 guys that are PHSYCIALLY dominating, yao is not physically dominating(he is just tall).Yao doesnt have the upper body, arm/hand strength to do that. when yao gets hit, hes done no AND1s. example carl laundry got fouled by murfy and still had the strength go up and did he reverse dunk for a AND 1.

8. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

yao is not the strongest guy on the team, even tho he is the biggest. do you guys think he can out-bench, laundry, dorsey, hayes or artest or even scola maybe.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Rick Adelman did not help this team tonight...when the Pacers went small and started fronting, the Rockets didn't take advantage and put in a penetrating player.....you know....like.....oh, say...Aaron Brooks....

Someone who can take advantage of the defense playing OUTSIDE of the post.....basically let Yao pin his man on the outside and drive down the middle.

A pathetic game tonight, I just finished watching it on my DVR from the family gathering.....was all jacked up to use the sling box...and then watched the choke job.

Thanks guys....thanks Rafer for organizing the team so well that it was a loss, thanks Tmac for sitting down and resting while the doctors say you should play, thanks coach for not putting in a penetrating player when anyone who has coached at a junior high level knows how to do that, at the very LEAST get a guy at the FT line to reverse the ball.....ugh.

Bad game....not surprised....

DD

10. Rockets41

Rockets41 New Member

Huh? What the? Are you a real Chinese poster? Or just someone just posing as a Chinese poster?

11. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Yao's legs are tree trunks!
    Dude could probably squat a car.
    We arent talking about a slam dunk contest flying through the air,
    we are talking about going up with force and being able to hold onto the ball, and forcing the other team to foul you with their 4 arms a hacking.

Even in youth basketball the player is thought when they receive the ball underneath the basket, do not be timid, go up with force and draw the foul. This is elementary basketball 101.

If you want Yao to be a champion, dont make excuses for him. Want him to elevate his game to what can make him a better player. Believe me, champions dont make excuses.

12. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

You must have selective memory, because I remember many games where we would play down to our level of competition. Just because Van Gundy was a hard-ass coach, doesn't mean that our players didn't have trouble getting up for games that they were favored to win handily.

13. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

LMFAO and you thought tonight was a bad game. Rip is not a playmaker like McGrady. Sheed is another version of Rafer and all he wants 2 do is shoot 3's thats a horrible trade lol. Shane comes back McGrady doesnt play relax. We still haven't seen this team when EVERYONE is playing calm down

14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I never said I would have done the deal.

Artest + filler for Hamiton :D

15. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I don't consider either Howard or Amare to be physically dominting. The advantage those two have is their outstanding athleticism. Yao is more physically dominant than both of them, he just doesn't always have the mentality to dominate.

16. ThaBlackKnight

The quick athletic teams are still a problem for the Rockets. Yao struggles against them if his teammates don't hit open shots. During the road trip, we shot great, but tonight,we couldn't buy a basket.

Also I think bringing Battier back with very little practice could have had some effect as well. Late in games, you need chemistry to be able to execute. Without Tmac, and Battier playing in his first game, I'm sure there was some confusion.

The passing late in the game was horrible. Rafer should have just gotten the ball down low to Artest instead of making Yao or Scola do so, especially from the elbow. They should've just cleared out a little bit to make room for Artest. I also think RA should've went to the Yao, Battier, Artest, Rafer, and Aaron Brooks lineup late in the game to create spacing and have another playmaker out on the court. I know Aaron Brooks didn't have a great game, but he has the ability to break down the defense atleast.

This was a very tough loss, but look at it this way, we won't make these same mistakes in April and May. We need a few of these to bring us back down to Earth, and remember that we are nowhere near perfect yet. I remember losses like these during the regular season last year. It just made us better later on. This team is still not 100% healthy, and 2 major players weren't able to play in the preseason and we have on huge piece coming in.

The Rockets will be okay. But this is a tough one though...hopefully Tmac comes back somewhat fresh, and we play much better and finish the game vs. the Spurs.

17. maw7079

maw7079 Member

Realist?!?!? There is absolutely NO PROOF that Steve wants to take the money and run... thats just YOU talking. The bottom line is that a disinterested Steve is even better than the crap we are running out at point guard right now. The passion he played with is a couple of games last year doesn't sound like a guy taking his money and running. Steve was BALLIN' in Orlando... he gets traded to New York and is caught up in a numbers game with Marbury and Crawford. If New York would have focused on Steve instead of Marbury they would have been better off. Steve plays with a passion this team desperately needs. He is our best option to replace Rafer. Give the guy a chance.

"He's laughing his way to the bank"... c'mon dude.

18. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

:( :( :( the team needs to gel. Im sure your gonna regret this. When Mac comes back you'll see what this team can become its only 16 games calm down. 66 more games 2 play

19. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

no tmac, lineup not set or gelled yet, and Pacers have won 5 of 6 before taking this one by one tonight.

Simmah down, depressionists. This glass is still half full.

20. killlogan

killlogan Member

we aren't gonna trade artest anyway, because we'll need him to play starting SG. tmac has been traded to Miami together with Hayes (who didn't attend this game suspeciously) for marion and Blount and some picks. This trade hasn't been offcially anounced but the two teams has made an agreement on it, so the excution of the trade is just a question of time.

We played pretty bad this game because our rosters' minds were alround tmac even tough their bodies were on court. I think it's gonna be a new challenge for tmac to play with Wade, but Marion is gonna make our future brighter. Marion is a great defender that can play great defense from 1 to 5, he's gonna strenth our defense which is already pretty good though.