1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Reed Sheppard is a Rocket! And what happened with that Clingan smokescreen? We're talking Rockets live at 10:30am CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    It's time for the second round of the Draft! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room at 3:00pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #44?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Post-Game Analysis: Lakers 108, Rockets 94

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 8, 2009.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think now we are sort of missing Rafer Alston in the point guard position. Aaron Brooks has not been very good at the point guard position. He just cannot run the team the way Rafer did and he lacks true point guard vision.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Big, athletic, and extremely talented teams have a way of exposing your weaknesses. The Rockets are very inexperienced at the guard positions, and undersized. We have no "real" back up center. Battier is an extremely nice guy and a good defender, but.... Yao is not exactly a playoff terror. For what ever reasons, he can't elevate his game in the playoff atmosphere. This is not all his fault, but he isn't blameless. Our bigs aren't big. Artest is an elite role player but he can't consistently carry a team offensively. This team has tons of heart, and often plays over their heads, but, talentwise, the Rockets are simply not elite. I thought they were really fortunate to get past the extremely long and talented Blazers.

#262 solid, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
  3. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Yao is only going to have good games when he gets touches. Anyone who questions his intensity isn't watching the games. The guy works like crazy to establish position but if he doesn't get that position in the first 5 seconds, then AB decides that he's not waiting for Yao and ignores him. Pure rookie stupidity.

I do agree that Yao was less intense in the second half of this game, but come on, the guy was playing on a bum ankle. Most of you guys criticizing him probably couldn't have even walked on a bum ankle but Yao still got a double double.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Solid, great post! I think fans get wrapped up a confuse playing hard with talent. The rox have to play full throttle because they don't have the talent not. Everytime the rox play La, the rox players are down the list in terms of talent. I mean Odom is more talented than anyone on the rockets. He can do things no rocket can do except tracy. There isn't 1 matchup the rox have that is as wide as the gap from kobe to any rocket player.

This is kinda starting to turn into what I thought it was going to be at first. A yound, long, atheletic team vs a small try hard team. The spurs had the same problems and for the rest of the west its going to be a problem for the rest until they can close the talent gap. BTW, I think denver matches up very well with La. I say that cause martin and kleiza can matchup with odom, smith and anthony will make kobe play defense, billups will kill their pg, andersonn and nene really matches up with gasol , and denver is a tougher more intimidating team.

5. ebu

ebu Member

do the rockets know this is the playoffs?

sure didn't look like it last night

6. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

My guess is only Yao knew :(

7. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

We shouldn't be bashing our team right now. Let's just enjoy the games (win or lose). We have already done what people didn't think was possible for us to accomplish.

8. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Yes we should and we should not be happy with just a first round win like Artest has said. The Rockets have lost focus and came out like a bunch of losers last night. The Rockets have not overachieved so far because they can take LA. It's just a matter of doing it but you have to play smart. The Rockets have not done that.

By the way, was Deke in the house last night ?

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

Yao is a very good player, BUT he simply does not have the athleticism (speed, agility, balance, quickness, explosion, stamina, durability, etc.) as most elite NBA players. He is "intense" in his own way, but he is not intense in a game changing way. Kobe Bryant is intense. Yao is a wonderful person, very skilled, trys hard, doesn't have the best support (he gets some really pathetic passes), but I have never thought you could build a team around he and TMac given the current NBA rules. What Yao would be like if he were not the focus of the offense would be interesting. What he would be like he was surrounded by a high level of talent would be facinating as well. I think Yao would like to play more of a supporting role.

10. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

we beat ourself.

11. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

i'll state the overlooked obvious. rockets need a legit backup center. yao is getting worn down.

12. juanm34

juanm34 Member

yeah i really miss all those bricks he threw up.. AB is the future and is learning on the go so chill out.. remember were not even suppose be in the 2nd round..1 bad game so what, it wasn't game 7. we just have to regroup,hope yao can go and limit these careless turnovers and forced shots! stick to RUDY T's game plan!! pass it to the big man!!!!!

13. emmanuelb

emmanuelb Member

are u crazy he takes worse shots than ronn ron plus hes undersized at the 2 spot and hes a below average defender

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

After a good nights sleep I am now prepared to comment. The thing which got me last night was how badly most of the rockets played! The only one who looked like he was doing his job was Battier,they were so bad that they looked as though they didn't belong in the playoffs or that they were missing their best player or that their Point Guard forgot how to play.
    A repeat of this type of performance will cause hopes to move to next season.:p
    Or possibly a coaching change of a dual head coach of Adelman and JVG

15. tehlostone

tehlostone Member

The Lakers are 0-8 in Portland.....

16. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

another loss.

17. WeMissDekeMan

WeMissDekeMan Rookie

He's Tracy McGrady, except he makes most of his shots when he's on fire.

18. IndonesiaFans

IndonesiaFans Member

Will Rockets show up after this loss?..

19. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

If Yao had all-star talent around him, Yao would be a role player, similar to how Zydrunas Illgauskus is used in Cleveland. Just look at the all-star games. Noone passes to Yao because hes not athletic or quick enough to keep up. And don't give me the "all star game is a guards game" bullcrock. Duncan ,KG and Shaq all get their touches in all-star games because they are able to play with all-star talent.

20. Pringles

Pringles Member

When anyone else is on fire, they make most of their shots.