1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post-Game Analysis: Jazz 133, Rockets 110

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

By skillset I mean his ability to score, which he does have. He just has to learn how to do it at a higher level, which I think he will. He has nothing to do but improve

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He can't score at the NBA level, lots of people can score the ball at a lower level.

It is the ability to get seperation and perform on the big stage.

Have not seen anything that suggests he is even remotely close to a rothation player.

DD

3. saleem

saleem Member

That's correct. Unless he can shoot well in the pros,he will be out of the league.
    I'm skeptical about him.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Dude, he's a rookie. Even Budinger misses badly and airballs it. JT has handles and a knack for attacking the rim. His defense is soft but the Rockets are slowly becoming the GSW.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I know he is a rookie, and he can certainly improve, but the things I am talking about are simply quickness, good basketball plays, and BBall IQ.

I haven't seen anything that says he has an advantage in any area.

For example take Von Wafer, he and JT are great athletes, but Von had ELITE quickness, he was just explosive on that first step, could get by NBA players a good amount of time.....and he showed it in the NBA and summer league.

Conversely, JT has not shown in summer league or in the NBA an ability to shake his man or get by them with his speed.

I just don't see much there that he has to work with, and generally he has gotten by on his athleticism his entire life, if he does not have that advantage what is he to fall back on?

BBall IQ?

DD

6. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Sorry DD that our rookie guard cannot make a immediant impact in limited minutes.

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Wafer was a D-League guy who had been in the NBA 3 seasons before he came to Houston. He played with no intensity on defense and had an attitude problem.

JT is always the first guy to jump off the bench when we're blowing the team out or getting blown out. He has quickness to get to the rim. Last night he had a nasty turnaround jumpshot and was able to penetrate the paint and get a pass around Okur for Andersen. He has his weakpoints: needs to finish above the rim better and show more focus on defense.

The Rockets need to send Taylor back to the D-League when Ariza and Lowry return or play him in games for a few minutes.

8. Redfan

Redfan Member

I would disagree that JT doesn't have the ability to attack the rim. In the limited time I have seen him he does seem to have the ability to edge his body into tight spaces. Although he isnt blowing by anybody he is getting an angle on them. What has most impressed me about him has been the control and balance I have seen him show when shooting on the move. This balance and body control are promising signs of what he may develop into

9. httx713

httx713 Member

Adelman keeps going to the Effort/Attitude Card and the bottom line is that he's a good offensive mind but what good is to score 90+ if you allow the other team 110+.. I don't think the rockets are going anywhere even with the return of Yao who is not a great defender ( only tall ) and he changes some shots but that's about it. If Adelman is to stay as head coach he needs to give JVG a call and ask him to recommend an assistant defensive coach or the rockets need to bring JVG back.. I don't like what Adelman is doing, he inherited a very good defensive team but in the last year that JVG defensive mind these player had has disappeared.

10. plates300

plates300 Member

seriously? we basically have all the same players minus yao. if anything is evident this season, it's that people have underrated yao's defense. he takes up a big part of the lane and players have a much harder time finishing drives with him occupying the middle. Now if we had yao and the defense is still as bad, then that is cause for concern. as of right now, we have no shot blockers and our starting center is 6' 6" so a drop in defense is understandable.