1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post-Game Analysis: Hawks 105, Rockets 103

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 20, 2009.

Tags:
  1. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Tough loss ... we've had a lot of them it seems so far this year. Hopefully, we'll be able to be on the winning side of a few of these.

2. BMoney

BMoney Member

Stop. You are killing the English language. Have your nervous breakdown in private.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I am not upset the Rockets played hard and made a valient comeback that shows growth.

I do blame Adelman for pulling Cbud early along with Andersen, they were up 6 and down 9 within 4 minutes of taking out the 2nd unit.

It is fairly clear if the 3balls are not fallilng Battriza is a problem...they are just not good enough as a pair.

DD

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Answer to our problems, bring back VON. Seriously though, it he wasnt such a headcase, he could have flourished with this team. I hope after a few more games of watching Aaron and Trevor run around with their heads cut off in crunch time you will start to call for the return of Mcgrady. Mcgrady is a better player than Shane and Ariza. Why not bring him back if we have him?

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

You know what kills me most.. very few people actually knew who was on the court. Even Bull and Bill got it wrong.

Shane Chuck Lowry Aaron and Trevor

That's why.

Who can block out Smith with that line up?

Chuck rotated to help Aaron who Bibby had nearly passed.. stopping the ball.
    Shane rotated to the middle on the shot, but had his own player to deal with.
    Chuck lands after jumping to contest, and Smith has already flown by into the air.
    Nothing you can do about it.

Great game from the guys on the court... though the substitutions at the end of the third and in the fourth were questionable imho. But then I guess hindsight is 20/20. If we had won maybe it wouldn't have bothered me as much.

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Basically if you cut off Smith's path the basket. (Just get in his way. :rolleyes: )
    He would NOT have had that putback. That's pretty much the whole point of boxing out. You don't have to hold him back, just do the best that you can and get in his way. If he goes OVER YOUR BACK, then it is a loose ball foul. Our ball.

7. Entropy

Entropy Member

Thats the game right there.

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Could you imagine an over the back foul that would send our team to the line with the game at its end. Either way, it was bad luck the ball bounced the way it did. Oh well, our guys can play with the best.

9. choujie

choujie Member

Seriously, if Wafter is playing, the ball will not move like the way it is now, the chemistry will not look so good, and the defense is going to be worse, rebounding will be worse, TOs will be worse.

10. rockets934life

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/10885/smith’s-aerial-grounds-rockets

Smith's aerial grounds Rockets
    November, 20, 2009 Nov 2010:57PM ETEmail Print Share By John Hollinger

ATLANTA – It took 47 minutes and 59.3 seconds, but the Hawks finally found the Rockets’ Achilles heel. And fittingly for a team named after birds, it was in the air.

Josh Smith rose higher than any Houston player could hope to reach and slammed home Mike Bibby’s miss, allowing the home side to escape with a 105-103 win over a physical, tough Rockets team that continues to stun opponents with how hard they play.

“We can cover for everything else, but if there’s a play to be made at ten feet we’re in trouble,” said one Rocket, and unfortunately that was the play that needed to be made. Houston players and coaches signaled for basket interference after Smith’s putback, but replays showed it was a good basket.

Until that point, however, Houston’s gritty play unnerved the Hawks – particularly by bludgeoning Atlanta on the boards. In one 11-minute stretch of the third quarter, the Rockets only scored two points on their first shot attempt of a possession. But they battled their way to a staggering 15 second-chance points in that stretch, finishing the game with 20 offensive boards and 29 second-chance points

"That was a scrappy, scrappy team and they played very physical," said Jamal Crawford.

“Oh man, they played hard,” said Marvin Williams, “Their bigs aren’t very big, Chuck Hayes isn’t a tall guy, but they work hard, they pound the boards.”

In a departure from the Hawks’ usual formula in racking up a league-best 11-2 record, the key to the victory was Williams. He had a breakout game with 29 points and nine rebounds to make up for rough nights from Smith – until his game-winner – and Joe Johnson. He came in shooting only 38.9% on the year and had scored double figures just once in his past five starts, but said GM Rick Sund had been encouraging him to stay aggressive and look for his shots.

“I’ve been here every morning at 8 o’clock shooting, so thankfully it paid off tonight,” said Williams. “My job is to defend and rebound, and shoot when I have the opportunity.”

Oh, and if you're looking for any Tracy McGrady drama from this game, move along. The Rockets forward worked out with trainers before the game but never donned a full uniform, while Rick Adelman admitted the two had a difference of opinion about his return date. The Rockets have been steadfast since September that McGrady would be reevaluated after a Nov. 23 MRI, and Adelman noted they hadn't practiced in ten days so it was tough to know what McGrady's fitness level might be.

11. kpopy

kpopy Member

I believe RA did his job. We lost because we get $4000M off court. it's good enough for us to hang with the current best team the whole game.

12. ThaShark316_28

J-Smoove got game but damn does the dude have to cry the WHOLE game?

LOL, anyway, good game...just came up a little short at the end....if we had another time out, maybe things are different with .7 left.

13. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

Our team resembles the Utah Jazz. We flop, we play very hard, and were a nasty team. As a true basketball fan, I liked the way the Jazz played. Our team kind of reminds me of them. Preparing to get torched.

15. Entropy

Entropy Member

No flops that I could see tonight. All of them were clean charges.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Less Battriza, more Cbud = more wins and better team play.

DD

17. choujie

choujie Member

This is not a team of flop. Scola is the only guy who flops regularly. Lowry does that a little. I love Scola's play except his flops.

18. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Brooks: -13
    Lowry: +12

19. sergio

sergio Member

Lets trade the coach, jk. I just want to know why Scola and Landry were on the bench during the last play when they are the best rebounders on the team. Why? Why? Why? How many times has RA last minute subs been questionable? To many in my opinion.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

5 seconds left, I think he figured there would be no rebound...he was almost right.

DD