1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post-Game Analysis: Grizzlies 104, Rockets 93

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ibm

ibm Member

this pretty much sums it up.

2. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ThaBlackKnight
    I would love to see your basketball resume...I can read pretty fast, so it'll prolly take me a minute or so to read it, definitely not a couple of days to read. But, I never said I was a great ball player. I was a decent high school player (North Shore High School), if you wanted to know. I don't play at some kiddie courts full of pre-teens either. But, for all I know you could probably whoop me 1-on-1. I don't care, I'm not getting paid to play ball, I got more important things to worry about (college), than trying to prove how good a basketball player I am or ever was. If you are that insecure about that, and if it makes you feel like a better man, then so be it. You're a great player and good luck to your career in basketball.

We aren't here to discuss your basketball skills vs. mine. If we were, we'd be in the NBA, not at home watching real basketball players play

DUDE.....talk about insecure...read your own quote LOL...Listen my man, I've seen a lot of posts from you saying how "if people actually played basketball they would know yada yada yada". I just responded to you after saying, and I do quote

"I'm telling yall, go play basketball before yall post comments on here. Anybody who played the game will tell you, it takes MUCH more than ONE guy to win a game and definitely more than ONE guy to lose a game for a team. Freakin Tmac haters...the HOUSTON ROCKETS lost the game, not the Tmac Rockets!" Post# 200 I believe.

Anywhoo......

3. choujie

choujie Member

19 shots for 21 pts is hardly efficient. Combined with 0 defense made him one of the reasons Rox lost this game, even though he's not the only reason.

0 D and mediocre O is simply not acceptable for a 20 mil player. I'm not talking about just one game here.

4. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

artest shot better than monta ellis

10% - 0 %

5. daernoth

daernoth Member

Some comments...

1) I dont care how much they are supposed to be our 4 biggest players. Yao, Tmac, Artest and Battier together do not complement each other. Tmac and Artest in particular should never play together and certainly not to finish a game.

2) Either Scola or Landry always need to be out there. They attack the basket and have a good mid range shot, which the above 4 do not. I dont care if they are in foul trouble.

3) Deke needs to be the primary backup for Yao no matter what the matchups are. To allow open 3s is one thing... to allow open 3s AND easy layups is much worse.

4) Really missed AB today.

5) Props to Darko who seems to be finally getting how to play in the NBA. He doesnt get enough credit for his defense.

6) OJ Mayo was just unconscious today. Im not sure I would blame his defenders. He just couldnt miss.

7) Love Deke but for the love of God... pass the ball out after getting the rebound man! lol... you arent out there for your offense. :)

6. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

Add Oklahoma to that list too.

7. ThaBlackKnight

Thats cool, I'm willing to forget about this. You have a right to your opinion, just like I have the right to my opinion. We can act like men here, and just simply agree to disagree, atleast about our personal basketball playing experiences. I was simply trying to state that I do know a little something about basketball. Nothing personal, just defending myself, the same way you defended yourself.

I was trying to keep it about the Rockets, but I guess that didn't work out too well. Whatever, I still stand by what I said about the Rockets tonight, losing as a team due to the shooting 39%, shooting 27 3pt attempts, getting outscored in the paint, and being outrebounded.

Those are the reasons why we lost, not because of Tmac and Yao. They both had decent games, while the majority of the role players had pretty bad games. End result, a horrible game by the Rockets and a loss.

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Impressions from this game:

1) T-Mac and Alston were the only ones to truly play well. Yao did admirably while sick, but he got bullied by the grizzlies bigs for way too long in the game on both ends.

2) People complaining about T-Mac's shot attempts might want to remember Yao went to the locker room twice in the second half, and Artest had to be stretched extensively to even get on the court in the 2nd half. Somebody had to fill the void. Plus the last couple of those shots were desperation threes in the last few minutes. He was very good offensively tonight.

3) Deke has to play more. I don't care if a team tries to run him out of the gym. The team needs his presence around the rim with the reserves.

4) Artest needs to use his inside game to set up his outside game. Part of ron's problem is he's not even being used as the focal point when he comes in with the bench. The primary play with the bench should be artest on the low block and work from there. He's struggling to get into a flow on offense because the touches aren't there. Artest didn't forget how to score a basketball since last season. The difference is he is getting less shots and a lack of consistency of plays being run for him when he leads the bench brigade. He should be getting the shot attempts of a Jet Terry or other bench players of starter quality but instead they spread it out to brooks, landry, wafer, etc on the bench.

9. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Honestly I think Artest's main problem is his ankle. I heard the commentators for memphis say that he thought about sitting out tonight, but gave it a go because of brooks being sick. In the first game of back to backs hes been pretty good and he has provided the scoring we have needed. The second night of back to backs, he's looked tentative and slow. The all star break will do wonders for him i think.

10. mich

mich Member

You are right. Where is it? I almost forgot about that!!

11. ibm

ibm Member

i am not blaming landry, but he contributed absolutely nothing tonight.

he's one of the athletic guys we have, but compared to the players on teams like the griz or the wolves (our next opponent), he's nothing.

i'm saying this just because some folks have too high of an expectation on him.

and when we play the second unit, artest should be our main weapon. i feel sometimes landry got too many plays set up for him. as a second year player, he hasn't developed his weaponry enough. he's good at grab rebounds and catch-and-shoot a mid range j - for now. if our pg throws the ball to him and just lets him create, it usually is a wasted possession.

12. DVauthrin

Again, anybody who complains about T-Mac's shot attempts tonight did not see the game. Other than alston, he was the most effective scorer tonight. For three quarters Yao(who was sick and went to the locker room twice) couldn't do anything in the post and Artest was gutting it out tonight.

13. DVauthrin

I don't disagree with this thought, but I do think a lack of touches compared to his career in the past is affecting him. Right now, even when he is in with the bench he isn't option 1. It's hard to get in a flow playing 25-30 minutes and getting your touches cut in half. He should be a bench player in name only, getting 30-35 minutes a game and 13-15 shot attempts. T-Mac, Yao and Ron should get about 50 shot attempts between them every night.

14. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

It's reasonable, Tmac was doing fine through 3 quarters. I guess he thought he was on a roll and took some more. If it had worked, no one would be blaming Tmac.

15. xouterheavenx

xouterheavenx Member

artest is the x factor.
    when he plays well we win.

16. Eric Wong

Eric Wong Member

I saw this game through Tv at home, i am glad to see Uncle Mu get on the court again, the fingure we are familary show up at this game, Uncle Mu stand up confidently again. Thanks for his amazing show.

But what a shame, Rockets lose again. Though T-mac returns, but the Rockets lose their rhythm and deffence. Yao did his almost, thanks for their show. :eek:

17. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Rick is trying to beat every team we play with OFFENSE. Rick is anti defense and all OFFENSE. His DEFENSIVE goal is to hope and pray Scola and landry get lucky games on D.

In sacramento rick cost the kings games because of his refusal to match size with size and provide interior D by not playing Greg ostretag when the kings acquired him.

Rick's motto is to have 5 guy's on the floor the whole time who can put the ball in the hoop. He won't play deke and chuck because he's trying to out score everyone we play. He fails to realize balance. Sometimes you can't have all OFFENSE on the court because against certain teams you aren't going to out score,other times you need dirty work players,rebounding and shot blocking to win games.

Right now rick is killing us. The problem we have is defense and rebounding.Ron was playing D in the first half exhausting himself but he couldn't keep it going because we gave them too many second shots. Our problem is DEFENSE/REBOUNDING and failing too match up against teams.

18. Kevin_chn

Kevin_chn Member

It is reported that Yao was in bad physiological condition but still played the game. He did what was for the best interest of the team, not of his fame which is now challenged by you.

19. Kevin_chn

Kevin_chn Member

It is reported that Yao was in bad physiological condition but still played the game. He did what was for the best interest of the team, not of his fame which is now challenged by you.

Wrong quote above, sorry redcapital.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Hey, you just might be on to something! Write Morey a letter. ;)