1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Possible targets for the big gamble at the trade deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Pete the Cheat

the Bucks just traded for Richard Jefferson so my assumption would be they are committed to winning now (or at least putting up the appearance to sell tickets).

but, if the Bucks come out of the gate looking like garbage again I would suspect that both Redd and RJ will be on the block.

2. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I think the Billups angle is by far the best option. They are a solid team, but McDyess and Wallace are on their last legs. Not that I'd hope anybody would get injured, but if for some reason one of their key players missed a big part of the season and sent their record in the tank, Dumars might be willing to trade.

I don't think they can be considered a contender anymore. Just compare them to Boston.

Garnett > Wallace
    Pierce > Prince
    Allen ~ Hamilton
    Perkins ~ McDyess (though Perkins is young and improving while McDyess is old)
    Rondo < Billups, but not by that much and appears to be improving.

Detroit is also behind Philly and Cleveland now in the east and multiple teams in the west.

3. conquistador#11

andres nocioni would be a perfect fit.

4. eman

eman Contributing Member

If only Rafer could improve this year over last as much as he improved last year over the year before...

5. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

i might get flamed but i still think stevie can be the answer at the point and i think that AB will only get better this year

6. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

also something tells me they might go after vince carter

7. killer instinct

I think if we have to take Kenny Thomas to get Artest....I would do it.

Landry has hops but KT has offense in shots and such.....Landry actually reminds me of KT when they would both just try to ram down the hroat of the rim and defenses.....but once again KT developed a shot and collection of moves......Landry has yet to do that before he asks for money with little production.

8. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I think we're most likely to get a player from a team that thought they were going to be playoff material going into the season, but then sucked and got discouraged. Possible candidates could be:

Sacramento
    Atlanta
    Washington
    Denver

Longer shots (these teams could underperform next year, but probably won't):

Phoenix
    Dallas
    Detroit

And if we are to believe that the Rockets are trying to save cap room for 2010, these are players on those teams whose contract end either in 2009 or 2010 who could be targets:

Sacramento: Ron Artest, Fransisco Garcia
    Atlanta: Mike Bibby
    Washington: Antonio Daniels
    Denver: Kleiza, Camby, Martin

Long Shots:
    Dallas: Howard, Kidd, Stackhouse
    Phoenix: Grant Hill, Raja Bell
    Detroit: Hamilton, Rasheed Wallace

I didn't include Milwaukee on this list because they don't have anyone who could help and has a contract that ends in 2010, unless you're sure Jefferson and Redd will take their ETO, which I'm not.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Andre Miller
    Mike Miller

Miller beer?

DD

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

please stop posting. we need a shooting PG in this offense. I think that's been pretty obvious for 4 years now. we got to surround yao ming with shooters

11. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

If we're really in "win-now" mode, then I don't see why Hinrich's contract is all that off-putting. I think Hinrich at the point putting up 14-15 a night would make us elite. Everyone points to his regression last year, but there was a LOT going on in Chicago last season, and Kirk wasn't the only player affected. With a fresh start, I think we'd be seeing more of the 16 and 6, over 40% 3P shooter from 06-07.

Rose will be in full swing by the deadline. Which makes Hinrich, a starter-caliber player, into a back-up. With that glut of guards the Bulls have, someone's gotta go. I think the Bulls will be more apt to keep Gordon alongside Rose, as he's a much more explosive (though streaky) scorer. No one's going to want the albatross that is Larry Hughes' contract (mad props Danny Ferry)... so that leaves Hinrich. Not saying it'll be easy to get him, but I expect Hinrich to be shopped around throughout the first half of the season.

12. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

lol. gilbert is so funny.

lol

13. LFE171

LFE171 Member

What the hell? Dude I've been reading your posts for the last few days and it's really hard to understand your logic. Kidd is deteriorating and has a massive contract. No to kidd.

14. csux

csux Rookie

I think we have a Mavs Fan in disguise.

15. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Really, this would be the best case scenario, and as a Rockets fan the most preferable one. Stevie's game is all about penetrating and attacking the basket; that's the kind of player the Rockets desperately need. His success all depends on whether his knees are back in shape. IMO there is a pretty slim chance that this happens. But if Baron Davis could recover from his injuries, so can Stevie.

And there's no doubt that AB will be better this year. Normally, rookie point guards need one year to get accustomed to the NBA pace. Once he gets comfortable on the court, everything including his jumpshot and decision-making will fall into place.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Exactly,that's what a lot of people don't talk about. They aren't likely going to give him up for Battier,Jackson and low 1st round picks. Heck,the Grizzlies asked us for Scola in return for Mike Miller, who is an inferior player as compared to Baron Davis.

17. blackistan

blackistan Member

im hoping ron artest he is exactly what we need and maybe a pg also

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Rafer is a shooter.

Just not so much a maker.

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This is the thing i don't understand...i think people need to get it through their heads that a major upgrade at PG is too hard to obtain. The two names DD has here are good examples of that. I think they are one a similar level as far as talent and affect on the game goes but Mike Miller was obtained by the t-wolves for not much at all. The sixers traded ALLEN IVERSON for Andre Miller and have since turned down decent offers for him.

With a team that lacks assets as much as the rockets do it would be committing seppuku for both the future and the present to do what it takes to get a good PG. It would be like going all in. If a trade for someone like Billups were to go down it would probably involve our expirings AND one or more of our young players. If it didn't work we would be doomed.

20. Gwill88

Gwill88 Member

Pretty funny :p