1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible Replacements for McHale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Aug 27, 2014.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

I see us making an even worse coaching decision IF McHale is fired..it's all downhill since Adelman!

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

A YMCA women's basketball coach will do much much better than the spineless, pathetic excuse of a coach that is McHale.

There are plenty of options. Afterall, it is not like McHale has any set standards to beat. The guy is possibly the worst coach in the NBA and would possibly be the worst D League coach too.

Morey just has to swallow his ego and realize he made a mistake hiring him in the first place.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Entering the last year of the contract, rumored to be on the hot seat. now is a good time to look around and see if we can do better or if we should keep him, no?

I agree with you about Collins. The more I found out about Gentry the more I liked him though. Why don't you like him? and who else [that is available] would you prefer?

no. I'm saying that all of them are available. If the Rockets choose to look for a new HC this is probably the pool. I think there are some coaches here that are better than mchale and some worse.

I like this idea, but i doubt the Rockets go for a rookie coach when trying to get the team over the top. Maybe they could get one, or both, as assistant coaches to whoever the next HC is.

Actually Ellie is not with a team right now, and we need an assistant. I think bringing him on as the teams disciplinarian / defensive coordinator could be a good idea.

4. Pete the Cheat

how about we trade a first rounder for former Rocket...

Tom Thibodeau?

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Keep him if that's the case but create some other position for him as "Team Motivator" or "Head Cheerleader" or "Recruiter." He needs to be as far away from coaching this talented team as possible. He does more harm than good.

6. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned...but there is a great chance Chris Finch will be the replacement for McHale. He was successful in Europe and he likes the fast paced offense.

I would not be surprised if McHale is fired midseason and Finch takes over.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

As per an ESPN Insider article:

Coaches who love advanced metrics
    Thad Matta, Ohio State: "We really like to look at the percentages, especially as the season goes on and teams play common opponents," Matta said. "We don't live and die by them, but it's something we are always cognitive of throughout our preparation."

Richard Pitino, Minnesota: "Analytics are extremely helpful for our staff because of the style of basketball we play," Pitino said. "We certainly prefer to play fast and turn teams over. We focus on extra possessions as well as turnover percentage."

Jim Larranaga, Miami: "Almost everything we do is based on numbers: field goal percentages, assists, turnovers, rebounds and free throws. And they determine the most important numbers: the final score," Larranaga said. "We like using analytics because the numbers are totally objective. We can measure ourselves against our ACC opponents as well as teams around the country. They allow you to clearly see if you can achieve your goals. The numbers don't lie."

Steve Donahue, Boston College: "I've always looked at the numbers to help us compete," Donahue said. "I believe it helped us at Cornell and I feel for us to compete in the ACC we need to be very smart about all aspects of our program. Analytics is just another way to make sure you are being as efficient as possible."

Buzz Williams, Marquette: "We have used analytics as another source to show our guys the aspects we think trends towards us in having the best chance to win," Williams said. "There are core stats we study all the time, but we emphasize different ones based on the complexion of our roster each year, and what we think is most important."

John Groce, Illinois: "We use analytical information to help us identify a team's style of play tendencies, both offensive and defensively," Groce said. "Statistics can also be valuable in evaluating individual player tendencies. Numbers don't tell the whole story, but they do not lie, either."

Coaches who don't love advanced metrics
    Frank Martin, South Carolina: "I like to score a higher number than the other team," Martin said. "The only numbers I really pay close attention to are field goal percentage defense and the percentage of offensive and defensive rebounds we get. I'm not smart enough to understand all those other numbers."

Jim Boeheim, Syracuse: "He's a deep thinker and a numbers guy, but he's not a guy who is going to compute readouts and study analytics," Syracuse assistant and coach-in-waiting Mike Hopkins said. "He's an old-school guy who has his own system with numbers, but it's not using KenPom or any of that new-age stuff."

Mike Krzyzewski, Duke. "We used it as a complement to what we were doing, not as a blueprint," Northwestern head coach and former Duke assistant Chris Collins said.

Roy Williams, North Carolina: "He goes off feel and flow," a former Williams staff member said.

Tad Boyle, Colorado. "I just met with the San Antonio Spurs' analytics guy. I'm not in the analytics arena," Boyle said. "I'm not going to go overboard, but I will have new information to share with our players and the team. I will probably use it to analyze our own strengths and weaknesses and then use it for opponent scouting. It took me two years to start texting when it came out. I'm a little slow."

From the coaches on this list, who do you think would be a good fit. I mentioned Thad Matta in the first post, but he plays a more post oriented style rather than the fast breaking 3 point shooting that we want. that being said, if he trusts analytics, he should trust DM's input and be open to changing his system.

You're saying that keeping your stars and coaches will result in winning. I think winning will result in a team keeping its stars and coaches.

#27 smoothie, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  8. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Don't really like what the available coaches, but I am guessing some coaches will be fired after this upcoming season, maybe we can snab one that fits the team.

Any coach's contract is ending this season?

9. CertifiedTroll

Does Pippen want to coach?

10. traveler

traveler Member

Mchale is better than most coaches out there. Soon as he gets the players to compete we will go deep.

11. Mr Chuck Norris

You're trolling right?

12. traveler

traveler Member

lol

No. :)

13. jason0215

jason0215 Member

Come on people-- SHANE BATTIER!!!!!

14. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I was wondering when someone was going to bring up Finch. I've been thinking all along that he's being groomed to be the next Rockets HC.

15. zyt

zyt Member

given the style u described - mike dantoni

16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Coaches will be fired midway or end of this season :

- Monty Williams - no more excuses.
    - Frank Vogel - regardless what happened to Paul Geroge, he is done.
    - Dave Joerger - if the grizz will fall apart, which is a real possibility and the owner does not like him.
    - Brain Shaw - its a long shot but he is not looking good so far.
    - Tom Thibodeau - it could actually happen, if Rose's knee....

and of course, the No. 1 hot seat of the whole NBA - David Blatt.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How about a guy with championship experience, is well-liked and respected by NBA players and fans alike, and has success both in the NBA and outside the NBA?

The Rockets should hire Mark Cuban to take over basketball operations.

18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Seriously? We are already looking for replacements for our head coach, a year out? We won 54 games last season. A bad coach can not win 54 games. He may not be a great coach, but he is not bad, and it's getting kind of ridiculous with all the statements and notions that people here think they know more about how to run an NBA team than those who get paid millions of dollars to actually do so.

McHale is fine. Can we focus on THIS year? Why do we always have to focus on what we can get NEXT year or the year after?

19. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

The type of coach we need is one thats not scared to bench their players even if they're having a bad game.

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

nice write up OP...

my question - What's Rudy T up to? He wasn't the right coach for the Stevie Francis/Cato type team, but he excelled when he had a dominant center, and again when adding a top tier guard.... (rather similar to our present incarnation...)