1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible playoff rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by sealclubber1016, Aug 28, 2015.

?

Who would be your 2?

1. Mike Fiers

14 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Lance McCullers

38 vote(s)
    55.9%
  3. Collin McHugh

50 vote(s)
    73.5%
  4. Scott Feldman

11 vote(s)
    16.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If we are able to finish this thing off, who would you give the ball to in the playoffs. We would probably need 4 guys, and we currently have 6 starters, all pitching well. Obviously many things could change between now and then, but assuming the playoffs started next week who would be your guys. Keuchel and Kazmir would be locks, but who would be your other 2.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For me, it boils down to if they're not a starter, do they have the stuff to be a potential weapon in the bullpen?

Feldman clearly would benefit this team more as a starter. McCullers has a chance to be a bullpen weapon. McHugh has been tremendous lately, and seems to have a back to the wall (playoff pressure) mentality that could see him excel in the post season. Fiers looks like he could slot in whatever role you need him.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

McCullers and McHugh. Fiers would go to the pen. I would not have Feldman on playoff roster unless he can pitch in the bullpen.

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Dude has been on a tear lately even with zero run support.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

All 5 of the starting pitchers have pitched well enough lately to justify being in the 3 man playoff starting rotation.

1 person likes this.
  6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

To me though, McCullers is the obvious choice out the pen.
    As far as rotation its Keuchel, McHugh, Kazmir, Feldman, Fiers.
    Velasquez and McCullers Jr out the pen

7. Major

Major Member

The problem with moving those guys to the pen is that middle relief is unlikely to be of that much importance on this team. If our starter gets blown up, we're probably losing that game. And no one at the end of pen - Qualls, Fields, Neshak, Gregerson - is likely to be removed from their roles. So outside of an extra innings type game, you'd likely mostly be pitching LcM and VV in fairly meaningless roles at that point.

I don't know the solution, but I'd at least want LcM in the rotation given how dominant he is capable of doing. Feldman, despite his success, doesn't overwhelm anyone and it seems least sustainable. I would pick between Mchugh and Fiers based on how they close out the rest of the season.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'd rate them

McCullers
    McHugh
    Fiers
    Feldman

I went with Lance and McHugh because of that, though I'd be awfully tempted to put Feldman & McHugh in the rotation and pitch McCullers/Fiers out of the bullpen, where I think both could be effective.

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I'm tempted to go:

Keuchel
    Kazmir
    McCullers
    McHugh
    Fiers

However, throwing a rookie out there with only 10 or so MLB games under his belt for a game 3 could be risky. I think more realistic is:

Keuchel
    Kazmir
    McHugh
    McCullers
    Fiers

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I fixed it for you

11. hhh345

hhh345 Member

if it is i 4 man rotation i would go

Keuchel
    McCullers
    Kazmir(If series goes 7 he would pitch)
    McHugh or Feldman

I would not be surprised if they went with Feldman since he has actually pitched in the postseason.

12. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I'd go with McHugh and probably Feldman, who has pitched particularly well on the road. McCullers clearly has the best stuff, but he's young and potentially erratic. He could be dominant or just as easily blow up in the playoffs. If he can get in the right mindset, he would be very good out of the bullpen.

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Talking about the Divisional Series only

Keuchel
    Kazmir
    McHugh

Would start Feldman in Game 4 but with a short leash, make it a bullpen game. Would then go into Game 5 (if necessary) leaning on Keuchel to pitch you into the ALCS.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If McCullers is a playoff starter, I expect the Astros will use him like a bullpen game. Let McCullers pitch 2 times through the order, and then string together VV, Fields, Harris, Neshak, and Gregorson.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't think they'll ever throw 4 starters, certainly not in a five-game series. If the first series does go five, Keuchel and Kazmir should each get two starts with McHugh/McCullers in game 3. And then McCullers/McHugh starts the subsequent game 1.

After that, you base the rotation on the situation. So McWhichever throws game 1, Keuchel 2, Kazmir 3. Then you bring McWhichever back for 4.

If it's 2-2, you save K/K for games 6 & 7, maybe, and go with other McWhichever in game 5. But if you're up 3-1 (or down 1-3), you throw your ace in game 5 to either end the series or save your season, right?

ETA: this is all blown to hell if they fall into the win-you're-in game; worse, win to get into the win-you're-in game - then you're throwing Keuchel/Kazmir game #162 and Kazmir/Keuchel game #163.

#15 Hey Now!, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

I agree. I don't trust Feldman in the bull pen. I trust him more as a starter, weird as that sounds.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

If all 4 pitchers continue to mostly dominate, would it be our advantage to start all or maybe 3 of them within a playoff series to give opponents a different look?

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

In a seven game playoff series, you would want to pitch Keuchel the first, fourth and seventh games.

19. Major

Major Member

The general history of pitchers working on less rest is pretty terrible overall. Last year's craziness with Bumgarner was an exception. With as deep as this rotation is, there's really no reason to send pitchers out there on short rest.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Three is probably a stretch - but Keuchel and Kazmir will almost certainly start 4 of the 7 games.

But, again - a lot of it is based on situation. You have a lot more options if the series is 2-2 than you do if you're down 1-3. The other factor - the big one, really - is whether or not you can set - and stick to - your rotation.

In 2005, remember, the Astros were perfectly set-up for the World Series: Oswalt game 1, Pettitte game 2, Clemens (and his gimpy hamstring) starting in the comfortable confines of MMP. But then Pujols tagged Lidge, Oswalt had to throw game 6, and Clemens (and his gimpy hamstring) had to start (and eventually leave) game 1 in a cold, wet Chicago.

Best laid plans, and all...