1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible Heat, Hornets, Rockets 3-way??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jul 30, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This from NBAtalk this morning.

Charlotte was close to a Miami deal to swap Jones and Ricky Davis for Jamal Mashburn, Clarence Weatherspoon and Rodney Buford. But the deal that would have sent Brad Miller to the Pacers for cash and a future first-rounder is now on hold. The Hornets needed the Pacers' $4.5million exception to make the Miami deal work. 'We're working really hard to make this happen with Miami,' said Hornets VP Bob Bass. 'And we just haven't been able to make something happen that is acceptable to the three parties - the Hornets, the Heat and Eddie Jones. So enter the Rockets, who have a $4.5million exception just like the Pacers. Bass said the primary problem is Jones' base-year status, and finding a third team with cap room.

Maybe MManal was right in thinking of us getting Brad Miller for the exception. Or if not him, what other guys do you think we could get or would like to have from the Heat or Hornets for the exception?

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi?

Draftsource.net

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

No
    Mason (HPD is already busy enough)
    Mashburn

Yes
    PJ

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult
    The Serious Police are watching
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited July 30, 2000).]

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

P.J.Brown

------------------
    "Don't think twice, its allright"

4. Sane

Sane Member

Anthony Mason is just the type of player we need......if not him, then PJ.....

------------------

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Rudy would never trade for Anthony Mason...I think Vernon Maxwell was enough for him to realize that he doesnt want those types of players on his team, especially a young team. Id take PJ, even though he isnt amazing, but I wouldnt take Brad Miller at all.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

6. TraJ

TraJ Member

Mashburn is an improvement over Walt (IMO), and since he would be a free agent next year he would be worth it. We don't have to resign him.

------------------

7. Gascon

Gascon Member

No Mason....

The guy defines the word, "jerk". P.J. would be very cool to have. I love his work ethic and his presence down low. Can't say much for Miller.

------------------
    "I'll take a Dream Shake for two, please."

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

I'd love to add Anthony Mason to this team. He'd give this team exactly what they need, toughness, defense, rebounding, and a threat inside the paint.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

[This message has been edited by New Jack (edited July 30, 2000).]

9. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I can't decide whether I'd want Mason on this team or not. He seems to be an overall better player than PJ Brown, but his attitude leaves much to be desired. PJ seems like the type to just go out, do his job, and keep his mouth shut.

As for Brad Miller...... Brad who??? I would be very disappointed if this is the guy we get for the exception. He sounds like a scrub to me.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel-boy.

10. TraJ

TraJ Member

If Brad Miller continues to play as well as he has the past two years, I think he could be a good addition to this team. The only thing that worries me is that it's not a given that he will continue to do well.

He's only played limited minutes, but I think he has good numbers.

12.3 mpg, 6.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg (98-99)
    17.5 mpg, 7.7 ppg, 5.3 rpg (99-00)
    15.4 mpg, 7.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg (average)

I know things don't work this way, but if you could just double all of those states he would have 30 minutes, 14 points, and almost 9 rebounds per game. I could live with that. But again, I realize you can't necessarily expect all of his stats to go up proportionately to his minutes.

By the way, wouldn't it make more since for Charlotte and especially Miami to deal with a Western Conference team, rather than giving the defending Eastern Conference champs a much needed young seven-footer?
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by TraJ (edited July 30, 2000).]

11. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Who said anything about Mason, Mashburn, or PJ Brown?

The deal was Brad "UberScrub" Miller for the cash and a first rounder. The Pacers are idiots for even considering that trade -- as would we.

------------------
    It doesn't matter if I have a signature!

[This message has been edited by Stone Cold Hakeem (edited July 30, 2000).]

12. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Yea guys, but I understand that Rudy likes him & as we all know, Rudy has an eye for talent that will mesh chemistry wise with the Rockets. Miller would give us a center to replace Dream when he retires & we could move Cato to PF. This would solve two problem areas with one move. However, I might have a problem with giving them a #1 pick in addition to the exception unless it could be anyones pick in the next several years. Say 7 years? By then we would be a very competitive team & the #1 would be a late round pick.

------------------

13. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Why does everyone think that Cato can play PF. His perimeter defense sucks and his perinmeter offense sucks. What does that leave you with. A center. Cato can play PF in spot duty against some teams. If he has no outside game then the other team will just put their center on him. Just because it says he is a PF in the lineup sheet doesn't mean that the other team has to guard him with their PF. I know that it couldn't be worse than KT or Collier (man I'm worried about that pick, but I have faith in Rudy). Hakeem and Cato in the game together would cause all sorts of problems..............for us.

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cato played PF at Portland more than center. PFs have a tougher time pushing him around than Cs.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

15. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I think he averaged 6 min/game at Portland. So what does that break out to; 4 min at PF and 2 at C. [​IMG]

Cato can play the bruising PF's like Oakley but would end up in heap of foul trouble playing any PF that can put the ball on the floor. He does not have good instincts to recover and make the block. He leaves his feet too much. Most of the better PF's can take him off the dribble. Do we really want to make Robert Horry look like Mobley.

My point is that Cato is a top 10 center and a bottom 5 PF. Let's explore other options.

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

[This message has been edited by Rocketsauce (edited July 30, 2000).]

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Mason has got good hands, and can run, and can post. Francis would benfit from having him on the team. More so than PJ. He may not be the brightest player, but he's a player you want to go to war with. I think we need him. And if we lose him in a year it's ok. Sometimes the player that doesn't appear to fit in, can do so admirably, with the right coach. I'm for this move.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actualy, I don't want to go to war with the kind of guy who is just as likely to blow up for 35 points as he is to blow up at teammates or the coach. You generaly only want to go to war with guys who you trust and are squarely aligned with. Mason is neither of those.

Perhaps a better way to describe Mason in keeping with the parlance of war would be a natural disaster. He will have a significant outcome on the war, but for whom he provides an advantage is likely to change from battle to battle.

------------------

18. TraJ

TraJ Member

I ran across this on nba.com. I like reading stuff like this, especially when I don't much about a player. Just thought some of you might like to read it as well.

Brad Miller: The Hornets' backup center is a restricted free agent, meaning Charlotte has the right to match any offer to Miller and retain his services. However, the Hornets have Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman on the roster, and may not want to pay Miller like a starter to return as a reserve.

With the dearth of available big men on the free agent market, Miller has moved to the head of the class among players who could be full-time starting centers in the NBA. Miller is not a great athlete, but he plays with exceptional effort and has surprised scouts around the league with his ability to draw fouls when matched against more athletic big men. Once at the line, Miller is a solid free throw shooter (78.5 percent). While he doesn't block a lot of shots, Miller gets excellent position close to the basket and is often able to force off-balance shots from opposing centers.

------------------

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Something that just crossed my mind (besides Heather Locklear) was all the hype about another backup center several years ago that was supposed to be the next great center. There was even talk about the Rockets making a run at him. He signed a great big contract with Seattle & turned out to be a bust. His name was Mcilvane. I trust Rudy's judgement, but I can't help but have a nagging doubt about Miller. However, if he were acquired to back up Dream & Cato while he was learning, then it might be a great move.

The truth is Heather has my mind all screwed up. [​IMG]

------------------

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd take on Mashburn-His contract expires next year (01), and he's a very good player.

I'd consider Mason. If he didn't have his offcourt problems he'd fit this team very well. But the other problem is, I believe he's a free agent (if not, when is he?) If that's the case, we'd need to make a 3 year commitment, something I wouldn't want to do.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.