1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible brain-drain from analytics staff?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Oct 30, 2020.

1. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I like Morey but I was also brain drained from Morey. I understand he had to deal with Leslie Alexander and Fertita’s cheap asses. But hey.. if we had owners with deeper pockets then it’s not analytics anymore it’s just an expensive team.

Either way I’m happy for a reset. Morey gone is one step closer to it, I want to draft as many top 10 pick players as possible and go from there.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's the American Dream. The Great Grandson of Sicilian immigrants who worked his way up the ladder from son of super rich guy who was also the son of a rich guy to employee son of no longer quite as rich guy.

topfive likes this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Morey produced more excitement on trade deadlines than during the playoffs. We’ll be fine. The fans cheering for stats and paper potential lose out, but the rest of us finally have a chance at real glory!

I’m tired of listening to the crying from the ‘almost champs’ bandwagon. We were close, but we still failed. Don’t y’all ever get tired of making excuses? It’s like y’all are trying to stay with that one girlfriend that’s never actually gonna work out. That was Morey.

Smart strategy, but failed strategy. What’s done is done. Move forward and stop crying over a GM. Cry over something that’s still in play.. maybe like over the team maybe?

Houston Rockets > Morey

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Can’t wait to hear what your next excuses are for the coming years of garbage. If you thought the last years werent up to par. Oh boy

there’s no such thing as moving forward at this point. It’s been moving backwards for the last two years and it will continue to do so

pr0wler likes this.
  5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

That “gut” feeling that tells you to let rondo shoot 3’s all game, or allows you to be one of the few teams that drafts a good player in the second round has a name: luck.

The idea that Morey never relied on luck is correct of course. The problem is that if you only look at the lucky franchises, rather than the entire group of franchises that rely on luck, you’ll have an incorrect perception of it’s role in building a winning franchise.

The kings for example, rely on gut feel more than any team in the league. The warriors during the monta Ellis era. OKC trading James Harden to us.

Hell, trading for Westbrook was a gut feeling from Tilman. A good organization prevents gut decisions based on emotion, it doesn’t embrace them.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

The crying isn't because Morey is gone, it's because the future is unknown. And statistically speaking, the vast majority of NBA GMs never come close to sniffing a title, so the odds aren't in Rafael Stone's favor. And I would imagine that having an owner like Tilman could only bring those odds down.

At least with Morey more or less calling the shots, we knew we had a fighting chance every year. He was experienced enough to keep Tilman at bay more often than not. And when it comes to basketball, Tilman is quickly proving to be a moron. Now we have a rookie GM who will likely try to keep his boss happy. THAT is why we're crying.

I, for one, am not looking forward to a possible decade or two of mediocrity.

#46 topfive, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    D-rock and YOLO like this.
  7. don grahamleone

There’s no guarantee of mediocrity. You’re assuming the worst when it’s an unknown.

We still have Harden, Westbrook, Covington, Gordon, and Tucker. That’s no bad. We have a new coach with a new style with the ability to stray from Morey’s stubborn formula. We also have a new GM with new opinions about who will work here. I’ll take my chances with new over the same old thing. The same old thing failed for years now.

Sticking with MDmA and Morey was just spinning the wheels in 2nd place. Now we have a chance because we’re not predictable.

8. don grahamleone

So Morey is the only smart person in the world and any other method of thinking is luck? Okay. Sure.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

so ironic how you talk about the worst and unknown, yet turn around and tell someone else everything is fine with a unknown coach and unknown gm

10. don grahamleone

I can’t wait for you to start cheering for the 76ers because you have no loyalty.. just like Morey.

Houston > Morey

If you disagree why are you here? There’s a forum for Morey Only Fans. I’ve seen plenty of OFs in my time here. You’re one of them. Tmac, Yao, Lin, Morey, Melo... you make no sense here. This is where the Rockets come first. If you put more weight on the components than the whole, when their weight shifts... jump ship. Morey’s gone, he’s never coming back. Houston is here to stay and so am I. Rockets first. GMs are way down on the list.

treyk3 likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

the loyalty logic is just dumb. You're loyal to a dumbass owner like Tilman. Nah that's called being fake4

I've seen dumb logic from posters in my time here. This is one of them

12. don grahamleone

Morey is known... known to fail. No thanks. Go Rockets!!!

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh the irony

14. don grahamleone

Nope. I’m loyal to the Rockets. I was here before Tilman and if he sells, I’ll be here after. Get that through your thick gm-fanboy head.

Who tf watches the NBA because of a GM? Snooze fest!

treyk3 likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

who tf supports idiots that don't have the best interests of a team. Idiot fest

16. don grahamleone

join the Sixers. Seriously. They have great fans and a great team. And they have the most important human to ever get involved in the NBA: Daryl Morey!!!

Go do it! It’ll be fun for you over there. You can get pumped about the trade deadline over there. It’ll be huge! Huge until actual playoff basketball starts.

treyk3 likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

oh im definitely rooting for morey and them to do well. I don't need your help for that.

and ill continue to laugh at folks like you that hilariously thing he was the problem. like i said i can't wait to see what the next excuses are for the coming seasons

18. don grahamleone

Dufus.. listen carefully... Houston Rockets > Tilman.

treyk3 likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

Idiot. understand better. Tilman is the owner of the Rockets. They will be garbage so long as that's true. You support idiots thats you

20. don grahamleone

Please, by all means .. go do that. This forum is for Rockets fans. There’s no confusion here. You’re confused about your loyalty now because of a GM. That tells me you’re no die hard. You were here for a general manager. Do you go to restaurants because of the food or the general manager?