1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Positives, Negatives and what we can learn from our season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketmike, May 3, 2004.

1. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

Well I for one consider this a very very successful season. Getting back to the playoffs was a huge step in the right direction for us, and the two losses we had by a combined 5 pts was even more valuable. They allow us to access exactly what is good and bad about our beloved Rockets. So here goes my thoughts.

The pieces that make us a good team also prevent us from being a great team. We are athletic enough to run on teams, and careless enough to throw the ball away when we have the chance. Francis is fearless enough to know that he can make his body do more than almost anyone in the NBA, yet he can't get his mind to focus on dribbling down the right wing late in the game. Yao has shown he can contain Shaq but is unable to remain a force for an entire game. We are one of the best 3pt teams in the leage, but when they aren't falling even our defense seems to suffer. We play great defense, but turn the ball over enough to allow other teams to make up for it. Basically we are a team that has taken "the good with the bad" way too seriously.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Yao and Francis cannot coexist. Francis has given it his all, he did a wonderful job in the series but proved that even at his best he's still turnover prone. I've knocked Stevie for about 3 years now (yes even before I was a member here, and before Yao came to town) but I have to admit I was impressed with his play in this series. Other than game two (when I felt that I saw the worst tripple double ever) I thought Steve did very well, with the exception of his turnovers. He did more to convince me that he needs to be traded, that he is being wasted here in Houston. There has to be a team with vertran players in place that needs an athletic pg. I'm convinced that is what he needs. Some hard nosed Vets that really jump him when he turns the ball over, cause while this may or may not be Yao's team, nobody on the floor would ever do that to Steve. That or we move Yao in favor of an extablished vet or two with some measure of playoff success. He has been too quiet and is not the vocal leader that this young team needs. This could change however as he is afterall one of the youngest on this team. As I see it here are our options.

1. Move Francis - along with MoT,Cato and try to find a real 4 and 1 somewhere.
    2. Keep The current team, bring in a 1 and move Francis to the two
    3. Move Yao and build around Francis and Mobley (note this is my least favorite option.
    4. Get rid of the coach and yao and francis and start over (note this is my new least favorite option)

Personally I think that JVG needs to get NBA (not CBA) quality players that fit his mold and system in in order for this to be a legitimate team. Oakley, Weatherspoon, Jackson are the type of player but no longer have the skills to be on the court for extended periods of time. Cato and MoT more than anybody posess the skills but do not posess the attitude necessary to play in JVGs system. Idealy we go get a hard nosed four who can score (or at least catch 9 of 10 passes that hit him in the hands), rebound and play some D; a pg who can reduce the turnovers and increase our efficiency on offense. I would also like to see more consistant outside shooting which may have to be brought in from elsewhere. I know we shot for a pretty good 3pt% but it seemed to me like we went either 8 of 11 or 1 of 11 to get that average and I'd rather hit 4/11 and 5/11 consistently. I know I haven't provided any real concrete solutions and that's not what this is supposed to be, I just wanted to identify what I think the strengths and weaknesses of the team are.

Mike

2. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

What I learned are a couple of things...

Or in other words.. these are a couple of things I think I learned...

A) Stevie plays his ass off... He needs to become a wiser player... His heart is undeniable though. He can win championships with Yao...

B) Yao is going to be the dominant player in the league in four years... He's going to be a dominant player for the next three...

C) Cato is an awesome back-up for Yao off the bench... Now we need a kick-ass PF and we'll have Mo "instant offense" Taylor off the bench...

D) Taylor improved quite a bit on defense, and gave me the impression that he could improve his defense and rebounding again next year.

E) Mobley can play some D.

F) Boki looks like bambi... but against Karl he showed he has some balls... He might be a Manu waiting to happen...

G) I don't want Pike or Padgett on my team...

H) Jim Jackson has found a home for a while...

E) Mark Jackson will be in a home in a little while...

F) Weatherspoon will be his bridge partner.