1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Positives from Week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

We found our QB.

We didn't give up any points after half time adjustments.

Everyone else in the dovision is losing, at last glance

Fear not boys, it's a long enough season, they'll put today in the rear view. When we get Foster back, we'll be okay. Mallett time.

I also think not having the ones together in the preseason hurt the defense. Live and learn.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Watt and Clowney.

Deandre and Washington.

3. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

just glad we don't have to wait til week 8 to see a QB change

gotta give OB credit for that at least

1 person likes this.
  4. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I think the tight ends did a decent job of getting open...qbs were just missing them.
    Run defense was solid.

I can still see this team going 9-7 or 10-6. KC is probably one of the better teams they will play.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Mallett is the starter, that's a huge positive. Even though he very well may suck, there's at least a chance that he won't, which is a lot more than I can say for Hoyer.

Colts may be hurt, Clowney looked good and Hopkins is officially a stud. Plenty of positives despite the awful first half.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

RB by committee looked good. 4.7 ypc, all 3 over 4.4 ypc.

7. conquistador#11

if mallet sinks, it will force b.o.b to go get that young qb he thinks he can develop. clowney looked oustanding, watt is god, crick and willfork did some nice work.
    Romeo will adjust to the screen game next time we face it.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Defense was solid, they were really put into bad situations by turnovers in the first half.

Two HUGE missed pass interference calls in the first half could've changed the game despite the offense's inept play.

Looks like Mallet can be adequate.

The Colts.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Everyone saying we have a new QB need to slow down. Sometimes coaches are more about themselves and will let QB decisions sink their career.

The only positives I see is that Hopkins is a legit #1 WR. We ran the ball pretty well minus Foster. Clowney looked good out there and we stopped one of the elite runners from rushing the ball.

Also, our division sucks. Colts are good but they are not invincible. Titans may win today but they are playing the Bucs.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You wouldn't be saying that if Hoyer hadn't been pulled. Playing Mallett for 2 drives tripled his yardage.

11. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

The only positive at QB was that Hoyer got benched and Mallet was ready to come in and play. Whether that will turn into Mallet starting and thus performing as such, who knows. But at least with him in as the signal caller they moved fast and with a purpose.

RB by committee wasn't so bad, good average per, just nothing explosive. The interior line was getting worked hard because of the hole at LG. LT, C, and RG all having to do way more because LG was so horrible.

WR group as a whole looked great. Sad that Hoyer can't make the throws necessary to get the ball to Hop. Wasn't until Mallet was in when Hopkins took over.

Watt and Clowney were looking terrific. Especially towards the end when Clowney was finally knocking some rust off, was looking explosive again. Wilfork was doing his job, and Crick is looking like he'll continue his growth and become a more well rounded player.

Cush looked quick again.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Also, I think Polk should get the bulk of the carries until Foster comes back.

13. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Mallet looked decent in junk time, saying we found our QB is really reaching right now.

The Dline was impressive, secondary didn't give up much.

Receiving unit and TE's played well.

LB's in coverage on Kelce, OL not protecting, getting a good push and the Hoyer turnovers were the bad.

I do think the Chiefs are a playoff team though and this was one of the toughest games I thought on the schedule heading in.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol this is true.

Looked up and saw Hopkins suddenly had like 98 yds and a TD. Not surprising though, I was never big on Hoyer and i'll be happy to sacrifice this game if it means he's regulated to back up duty which is what he is.

Not that I expect Mallet to be great or anything but even Fitzpatrick is better than Hoyer and that's...that's just sad.

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

1. Clowney is looking good and will get better.
    2. Ryan Mallett looked better than Brian Hoyer and hopefully Mallett starts.
    3. JJ Watt is a beast.

16. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

A game of two halves for the defense. Maybe giving the starters a lot of preseason to rest wasn't such a great idea? Or it could just be too much nervous energy/adrenaline. Defense would have looked a lot better if not for the two TOs giving the Chiefs good field position.
    Either way, it was good seeing the second half adjustment and Clowney make an impact.

Receivers look great. Washington and Shorts look to be reliable, and Nuk is the real deal.

This was definitely a winnable game. But early season losses are easier to handle. Hoping we see more second half Texans.

17. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

The good - Watt, Mallet, Hopkins, Washington

The meh - Cushing is just not the same he's to slow, Clowney I expect a first round first overall choice to be better than what he showed, Wilfork, Mercilus- did he even play outside of the first defensive drive? 0 impact again, not sure why we re-signed this scrub.

The awful - Hoyer had one or two solid drives but was awful outside of that, the oline was pretty bad, our entire defensive scheme is just a horrible fit, having our corners give 10 yards cushions, John Simon was bad.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Hoyer is done YES YES YES!!!!

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They haven't officially announced that yet. Of course it would be almost inconceivable for them to stick with Hoyer.....but one would have thought that about naming him in the first place.

Given BOB's relationship with Hoyer, I won't assume he's gone till it's official. BOB loves him some Brian Hoyer.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, is special teams sucking (as usual) just a given since no one seems to be talking about it?