1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[positive rap/hip-hop thread] handsome boy modeling school

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OmegaSupreme, Dec 14, 2004.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Member

was reading the houston press the other day at cafe brazil, checked out the music section, and found this...

hp music link

Handsome Boy Modeling School
    White People
    Elektra
    Following 1999's underground favorite So … How's Your Girl? -- a loose concept record rife with guest appearances by Del tha Funkee Homosapien, DJ Shadow and members of the Beastie Boys -- Handsome Boy Modeling School has returned. A perennial project featuring farcical producers Dan "The Automator" Nakamura (Kool Keith and Gorillaz) and Prince Paul (De La Soul), the School intends to school you with White People, which picks up where Girl left off and encompasses an even wider array of musical genres: hip-hop, rock, roots, jazz and even classical. The talented cast of guest stars has returned also, including RZA, John Oates, De La Soul, a couple of dudes from Linkin Park and Pharrell Williams.

White People playfully promotes the virtues of physical beauty and social grace, but don't let the album's humor fool you. Although punctuated by hilarious skits from Saturday Night Live alums Father Guido Sarducci and Tim Meadows, this record also tackles some pretty serious issues --sometimes satirically, sometimes forthrightly -- such as caste discrimination ("Class System") or crack use ("A Day in the Life"). Most effective, the single "The World's Gone Mad" preaches the importance of loving one's brother despite superficial differences, and appropriately brings together such diverse artists as Franz Ferdinand vocalist Alex Kapranos, reggae artist Barrington Levy and repeat offender Del to show us how. Handsome indeed. -- Joshua Rotter

anyway, i bought it. easily the best album that i've bought in a few years.

it reminds me of hiphop in the late, late eighties and mid ninety's (sp?) when rap used to be really fun. kind of an early 90's east coast feel to it (sorry moe)... when pretty much all the rappers were ahead of their time. there's no bling, no trunk bumping stuff, and no "sick reputation of handlin' broads. none of that crap.

tracks 11-13 are the shizz. 11... features pharrell (i know... pharrell, but the lyrics is what makes this one hot). 12... features the dude from black sheep (engine, engine number 9). 13... features rza from the wu tang clan. these are just the highlights. every other tune can hold it's own as well.

de la soul, wu, black sheep, gorrillaz, the nepunes, lead singer of franz ferdinand all put some stuff in this... how can this album go wrong?...
    ...well... linkin park is on one of the tracks. :(

other than that... this is a must have for any fan of intelligent hiphop. :cool:

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'll be buying this on your recommendation. It better be good. :)

Seriously, I read the review in RS, so I thought I might pick it up anyway. I was just waiting for someone I "knew" to give it a good recommendation.

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Member

you'll love it. the one with the dude from black sheep is bad arse. rza is the typical rza.... crazy in other words. the gorillaz guy sounds just like he always does... kinda like a less goofy biz mark. it's just a fun cd. funnier hearing pharrell of all people talk about a "class system" when he raps about bentley phantoms on snoop's cd. first class past commercial artists that still have something to say.

a guy over at cactus told me to check out the first cd and that it was just as good. prol' later.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Dr. Octagon rules!!!

Earth people, New York and California
    Earth people, I was born on Jupiter.

Deltron 3030 is also a great pickup!

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

Hey... I don't consider myself a hip-hop or rap fan, really, and I thought "So... How's Your Girl" was incredible! They also had a song on the Ocean's Eleven soundtrack that I really, really like.

I'll have to go get this album.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien is on another level than anyone else lyrically.

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

I've been listening to Deltron 3030 quite a bit lately. Good stuff. If you like Deltron, check out Phoenix Orion.

Also check out Prince Paul's stuff. It's definitely worth the pickup.

8. across110thstreet

i saw De La Soul along with A Tribe Called Quest and Beastie Boys at VooDoo Festival in NewOrleans ...

I will be inspecting this album shortly

9. mateo

mateo Member

Ditto.

Sounds good.

Havent had a good record recommendation out here for a while (Manny, you're slacking off!!!)

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member

That album is awesome. I got my screen name from one of those songs.

I just wish I was a half shark-alligator/half man.