1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Positive opinion about Ming from someone who's played against him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matador, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Matador

Matador Member

With little info about Ming's game availible since few of us have seen him play extensively, I thought I'd post this article.

Ely on Ming

Melvin Ely can offer a lot of perspective on the 2002 NBA draft:

He's one of the few players in this draft who's actually guarded China's Yao Ming, the 7-foot-5, 21-year-old who more than likely will be the first name read at the podium in Madison Square Garden on June 26.
    And he's one of a vanishing breed — a possible lottery selection who actually played four years of college basketball at Fresno State.
    Most college players' exposure to Ming has come through television footage of his May "workout" for NBA teams in Chicago, or late-night highlights of China's game with the USA during the 2000 Summer Olympics.

Ely, though, has seen him face to face.

In fact, he's played again him — face to breastbone.

The 6-foot-9 (without shoes, as measured by the NBA Saturday in Chicago) Ely hooked up against Ming during the World University Games in China last August.

And Ming blocked an Ely shot attempt in the final seconds that would have won the gold medal for the U.S.

"He's definitely a presence, especially defensively," Ely said, smiling.

"He can actually move (well) and that surprised me. He's not 7-6 (Ming was measured at 7-5 by the NBA in May) and a stiff."

Ely believes that Ming will be a defensive presence immediately in the NBA. His offensive effectiveness, at least immediately, remains to be seen.

"Everyone from overseas needs to get used to this (NBA) game," Ely said.

"Everyone says he's going to be the one to 'calm' Shaq down but that's a myth."

However another myth, Ely believes, is Ming is more likely to end up "another Shawn Bradley," a center of massive proportion who hasn't been anything but a backup in the league.

"That's not a fair comparison at all," Ely said. "(How good he will be) is totally up to him as far as how hard he wants to work, because he certainly has the talent. When I was out there again him, he seemed to be playing hard."

Ming also seems to have a pretty advanced hoops sense of humor.

"I was head-butting the hell out of (his) collarbone (while trying to guard him)," Ely said, laughing. "I was just putting my head in the middle of his chest, trying to push him out (of the lane). The ref said 'stop' and I said 'I don't know about this 'stop' — he's too big!' And he (Ming) just looked down at me and started laughing."

Like everyone else, Ely is anxious to see just how Ming fares against Shaq and every other big man who's going to take their pops.

"He's going to be a nice player," Ely said. "I can't wait to see him (in the NBA)."

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great article. Thanks for posting it up. Good to read some comments from people that have actually PLAYED against Ming to get their perspective. Sounds like Ely is pretty impressed with him.

Chris

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The overall final standings was Yugoslavia 1st, China 2nd and the USA 3rd.

Members of the US team included:
    Ely Melvin –207-C-78
    Baker Maurice –185-G-79
    Barrett Andre –172-G-82
    Barron Earl –210-C-81
    Reed Justin –203-F-82
    Slay Tamar –204-G-80
    Dickau Daniel –183-G-78
    Holden Tahj –207-F-81
    Barbour Antwain –196-F-82
    Mason Roger –196-G/F-80
    Owens Chris –203-F-79
    Baxter Lonny –203-C-79
    Smith Tyler –203-F-80
    Dixon Juan –191-G-78
    Greer Lynn –186-G-79
    Dudley Erwin –203-F/C-81

To be fair, most of the game summaries I read had Wang ZhiZhi with more points than Yao. But they were generally close.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Thank you for the post. It's cool to hear an insiders perspective. I've been pro-trade if the trade is reasonable, but the more information I hear, the more open minded I become. I am interested in seeing the guy play. It should be something with a new kind of energy.

5. Stevie Francis

yeah i agree thank you. I just don't know, i hear good stuff and i hear bad stuff. Man i'm scared to see him, play will he be good? or will he suck. ahhhhhhhhh. I'm going to be.:(

6. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Good Stuff.

The teams in the league without true centers are going to learn to hate Ming.:) :)

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nice to see some real opinions about Ming, rather then all this speculation.

Ming will be a very good player.

DaDakota