1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland was the best team to prepare us for L.A.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Man

Man Contributing Member

Only read the initial thread post,

but Kobe is on another level man.
    Then you said Bynum = Oden and Blake = Fisher, but Bynum is still > Oden at this point and Fisher > Blake. Fisher is a solid veteran who always seems to make big shots against us...he's just a really wise player who won't mess up like Blake sometimes did.

Also, you said Aldridge is like Gasol, which I sorta agree with, but Gasol has a much bigger inside presence. I know that both Aldridge and Gasol have done well against the Rockets, and yes we did pretty well against Aldridge in this series, but Gasol's style (especially in the context of being on the Lakers instead of Grizzlies, sigh why did the Grizzlies make that trade) seems like it will be more effective against us.

All that being said, I hope that miracles happen and the Rockets somehow win the series. :)

2. Man

Man Contributing Member

I agree with your points, and Odom did do well against us in at least one game this season, but I'm sure we can find a way to shut down Odom. We don't have to have Scola defensively matched up with Odom. But yeah, Odom's not even a primary option, haha, I guess that's part of what makes them so good..

But yeah defensively, we're going to be working hard on every single play or we're done for..and it's not going to be easy offensively, either. We play hard, though. maybe our toughness and tenacity and gritty play can get us through.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Am I still dreaming?

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Ah give him a break he is just an Azznoob. GO ROCKETS! Actually it is kind of sweet.

5. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

The OP is spot on so far. I didn't notice it much until a Blazers fan pointed it out to me, but the way game 1 played out had some eerie callbacks to the previous series:

- the SG superstar being forced to do everything
    - the PF threat rendered inconsequential
    - alleged future superstar big man in foul trouble
    - big man eager to take on the challenge that is Yao, and soon finding out he bit off more than he can chew
    - roleplayers not stepping up
    - young PG abusing his veteran counterpart

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Before the series I called Pau Gasol a better version of Lamarcus Aldridge. Now I just dont know. Is La that much better than Portland?

I noticed the same things by the way.

7. blender

blender Member

I do agree with the OP, but at the same time I'm curious why our regular-season record for the two teams are such polar opposites if our approach to the two teams are supposedly so similar. You'd expect us to have similar results against them, no?

Just a thought.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Didn't we have a different line up during the regular season? No Lowry and chemistry issues with T-Mac going in and out of the lineup during the regular season.

9. blender

blender Member

Not the last two regular season games. Though to be fair, that second-to-last game on March 11 was soon after the Alston trade and our PGs had yet to settle down.

10. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

I am a bit worried if Pau does show up, Scola needs to do more offensively, so does Landry

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The answer is in the schedule. The Rockets were in the midst of a grueling schedule when they met the Lakers the second to last and without Landry. And the last meeting the Rockets had played like 1 game in the last 10days and then had the Suns and Lakers on the road and just looked way out of sync. Still they played well but Kobe took over in the fourth and almost won that last game for them. Also just take into account the Rockets are a much better team than they were even a month ago. Yao looks like he is going to get his no matter what kind of defense you put on him. Artest is playing within himself. Brook albeit inconsistent is a major threat against any point guard in the league. Scola has become a consistent and warrior and Landry is semi Healthy. Not to mention Wafer has more good games than bad. The Rockets have not played their best game

12. orderchaos

orderchaos New Member

Agree. Just look at the several games between the Chinese national team and the Spanish national team, Gasol knows how to handle with Yao.