1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland was the best team to prepare us for L.A.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 30, 2009.

1. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Aldridge definitely had a good series, but he is more of a jump shooter than Gasol. Gasol will play the low post much more, I hope Scola has his A-game ready.

I really hope you are right about the latter.

2. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

1. Gasol is much better than Aldridge.

2. Odom is much better than Rudy.

Rockets in 6.

3. Jaingfang

Jaingfang Member

Well...Gasol might not shoot as well as Lamarcus, but hes a much better inside force and gets more rebounds...oh, and Sasha Sujacic would probably be=Rudy Fernandez. But I agree, We shut down Kobe, and try to have the role players win the games.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed totally. Aside from the obvious "Damnit, Deke deserves better than this" thoughts that came to everyone's mind when Deke went down, the second thing that popped into my mind was how valuable he was going to be in the event that we advanced. Hell, the Lakers start two 7-footers. Their size advantage speaks for itself. We're going to have to overcome that somehow.

5. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Ariza is a starter. Odom is a sub. He is more talented than any Rockets except Yao.

6. bloop

bloop Member

wow there's some pollyanna thinking going on in this thread.

One guy says Gasol is a downgrade from Aldridge. Another dude says "the biggest differece between L.A and POR is the experience." LA and Portland are very very different teams. LA has a much much longer bench and a much much stronger inside presence. Both of which were clear advantages for Houston in the Portland series and major reasons why they won. LA is both a better set offense team and a fast break team than Portland. They close much better, they dont give up as many points in bunches, are less reliant on shooting jumpers, they rebound better and give up fewer turnovers. They're not in the least similar teams

Portland was a good team to "prepare us for LA" because we won the series. It's not like playing the Blazers prepares Houston for how LA is gonna play. Any team other than Denver that Houston would beat en route to the 2nd round becomes in hindsight "the best team to prepare us for LA."

Not even really gonna comment on the Phil Jackson homerism thinking he's the reason why Jordan got over the hump other than saying... Lol no. Once Grant emerged is when that team flipped the switch. News flash Chicago was well on its way they were in the ECF the year before Jackson came. The main impediment was lack of an interior presence and the fact that Detroit was simply better... the decline of Detroit and the emergence of a 3rd piece in Horace Grant put them over the edge, Jackson simply was there at the right time. As for crediting LA's rings to Jackson... he wasn't able to get it done with probably the most pieces in the league and the best player in the league last year was he? One year he had Kobe, Shaq, Malone and the Glove and couldn't get it done. If he gets credit for LA's wins how about the year after year they haven't done anything and the fact that he was as large a factor as Kobe and Shaq in imploding that team. Finally assuming Wade < Kobe... doesn't the fact that Riley won with Shaq and Wade plus his rings mean he's "the best in the universe" if simply being coach when a team wins makes you automatically the best coach.

Houston has a chance against LA. Dont get that wrong. The series is not over before it begins. But dont get caught up in the manic-depressive mood swings where everything after a win (including who we freaking PLAYED) is rose colored and everything after a loss is the end of the world.

Houston matches up well in some key areas to LA. LA on paper is a superior team that matches up well in some key Houston areas including bench scoring and points in the paint. Dont go all psycho on us everyone take a breath, think things through and just watch the games

7. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

But IMO, playoffs are totally different from the regular season.
    and I agree with the OP's points. ;)

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

9. gamor

gamor Member

second that.

If Rockets can contain Gasol, we may have a shot.
    There is no way we can stop Kobe.
    Odom is unstable on offence side, the rest on Laker are not much threat to us.

Overall, our defence will be the main reason for us to win or lose this series.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This a nightmare matchup for us. The good news is, if we catch some luck and get past the Lakers, we have an excellent chance to walk away with a ring this year.

11. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

I was just talking about the 86 upset on Espn to those Idiot Rapeshow Fans. I'm only 28 and most of their bandwagons probably had no clue what I was talking about.
    But I agree portland was probably the best opener for us to prepare. While the Lakers haven't really stepped up it's evident in Phil's Body language he knows his team isn't playing at a higher level. They should have swept a Jazz team that had no Okur and mailed it in like A month before the Playoffs. This series is going to give them a rude awakening.

12. willb

willb Member

like you know much about the 86 series without having read or seen replays of it :rolleyes:

13. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

On another Note the Lakers are still as soft as ever just cause they won a couple games in the regular season against Boston does not make them tough. Just because the media tells you you're tough doesn't mean its true.
    Gasol is not a bruiser pound him enough and he'll fold. Odom aka Houdini speaks for itself. Kobe well he's Kobe.
    We will wear these guys down they are soft. Softer than the Blazers thats for damn sure.

14. gamor

gamor Member

aye aye

Honestly speaking, if there is one team which can beat us, it must be Laker.
    Against any other teams in league,even the jazz, the cavaliers,I say Rockets has good chances.

If Rockets wins this series,then we really do have chances to walk away with a ring.

15. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

Hey will b I've seen the whole series replayed and I've been following the rockets since I was 10 so don't comment on my fanatism :eek:

16. dijk

dijk Member

I agree with some of your points.

But obviously you have overlooked Laker's excellent defense. Let me remind you that their Defensive Rating ranked 6th in the league, while we ranked 4th.
    On the other hand, their offense is far better.

17. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

Also I follow the Nba period I like to know what the competition is doing at all times.
    Plus I live in Alaska and probably follow this team more the people than most fans that live in Houston :eek:

18. willb

willb Member

im just saying most 28 year old fans of either team arent going to know much about the 86 series unless theyve seen replays or read about it but that doesnt make them less of a fan of either team.

19. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

My point was that most Laker fans are bandwagoners and don't know crap
    and least the ones on Espn. They state stats that have nothing to do with anything and bash anyone who's not a Laker Fan. But thats the attitude of most Rapeshow fans I've talked too or Know.
    Anyways I was talking about the Series because I was making a comparison between the greatness of the dream and Jordan. And also how they weren't supposed to beat the Lakesshow.

20. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

Lamar Odom aka Houdini most likely won't show up for this series. Especially if he doesn't Start, which its sounds like he won't. And Trevor Ariza isn't going to shoot 60 percent from the field on the Rockets.
    I like this matchup, it will be tough, but if we win it could do wonders to this teams already strong psyche. While making the Lakers already fragile psyche, doubt themselves some more. Look what happened to Dallas( they and the media were so sure they would get one has happened yet)when they got shell shocked.