1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland trading for David Lee?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by worzel gummidge, Jan 5, 2009.

1. worzel gummidge

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2009/01/04/blazers-getting-ready-to-move-in-on-lee/

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I could see this happening. I think Portland would likely give up Sergio Rodriguez more than Bayless because Bayless has potential while Sergio has been very shaky lately. He does not have a long-term future in Portland (or maybe the NBA) IMO. Since the Knicks are short-handed and need some warm bodies, they might also package either Outlaw or Frye, neither of whom will be on their roster next season. Portland also has a hoard of 2nd round picks and they could throw one in to seal the deal.

Bayless has done hardly anything so far but he's shown enough to be worth keeping.

One thing for sure is the Blazers won't accept fat Eddy Curry in any deal.

3. worzel gummidge

Sergio mightn't have any trade value around the league. He was reportedly shopped hard in the off-season but no one would take him for a pick. I don't think Knicks would want Sergio unless the overall package was too good to refuse like dumping Curry's contract.

I'd have to disagree about Curry. In the last couple of years Portland have taken on LaFrentz's and Francis's contracts to get deals done. This season the Blazers have been letting everyone know about LaFrentz's insured contract. Pritchard himself has said if they make a trade it'll likely involve LaFrentz.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bad comparisons. They took LaFrentz's contract from the Celts specifically to get the pick to draft Brandon Roy. David Lee is no Brandon Roy. Francis' contract was taken on specifically so they could dump Z-Bo's contract which was more than twice as big. That trade was really a salary dump and allowed them to buy out a $68 million contract for $30 million. I'm sure the Blazers would somehow love to dump LaFrenz's contact on the Knicks for Lee but Donnie Walsh isn't crazy like Zeke.

You might be right about Sergio. No team in their right mind would give up anything to get him.

5. worzel gummidge

If something goes down this would be my guess:

[​IMG]

Around $17M each exchanged by both. Knicks dump Curry's remaing year and get LaFrentz's contract which is 80% insured after 41 games.

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

This would be a dumb deal for New York (with that trade shwon above my post) unless New York receives a pick or two. Your trading a 10-10+ guy for an unproven rookie and two other washed up veterans.

7. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

the. Knicks would be moving backwards as an organization if they made this trade...David lee has flourished under Dantoni...he's the perfect fit for a dantoni system

8. worzel gummidge

Knicks are keeping with their 2010 plan. They turned down a chance to extend Lee last year. Lee's expected to get a $10M per year type deal.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Lee won't get $10 million/year this summer from Portland. Roy and Aldridge will get huge extensions and they already spent money on Webster.

10. saleem

saleem Member

I wish we could get him here in Houston. Unfortunately, we have nothing to offer them. What I'm trying to say is that I don't want to give up Scolandry or Brooks for him.

11. juicystream

juicystream Member

They would be getting rid of Curry's contract which has a player option that he can exercise during the 2010/2011 offseason. Not to mention they would save money for next year as well. If they did that deal they could possibly be slightly under the salary cap for next year.

12. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

Are you kidding me, at best this guy is a hyper overactive Carl Landry. Don't let the stats fool you because Dan Antoni's teams have a thing to padding stats

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Dumb reply because hes had similar stats 2 years prior to Dantoni.

05-06 5.1 pts, 4.5 rbs, .3 blks, .4 stls, 67 games, 16.9 min per game
    06-07 10.7 pts, 10.4 rbs, .4 blks, .8 stls, 58 games, 29.8 min per game
    07-08 10.8 pts, 9.0 rbs, .4 blks, .7 stls, 81 games, 29.1 min per game
    08-09 14.8 pts, 11 rbs, .3 blks, 1.1 stls, 32 games, 34.2 min per game

Hes playing about 5-6 more minutes than previous 2 years, playing in a high powered offense and is avg 4 more points than his previous years.

14. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Yeah, David Lee has been hovering around 10 and 10 for the past few years. I remember at the Rook/Soph game he was 14/14(?) from the field. Also, he's apparently ambidextrous.

If Portland ends up swapping Bayless for Lee, Portland would have a talented young frontcourt...just like their entire team.

15. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

Hahahahahah, but he is blowing up under Dantoni, he's had career games this year. And David Lee is just a better Chuck Hayes in that he can finish better. His offensive game is not that good Mr Dumb Reply

16. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

id really like to see bayless on the knicks, the kid can play i saw a ton of his games when i went to zona he is a legitimate combo guard portland is just loaded, he could put up points like Rose in D'antoni's system. What happened to diogu he was an animal on the boards in college and a top 10 pick i think the guy can play but again por is loaded

17. baller4life315

I have always had this really bad feeling Lee was going to get dealt to the Spurs, Blazers or somebody else really good. I really don't want to see this kid in the Western Conference unless, of course, he's playing in Houston.

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Believe me, Carl Landry hasnt done anything this year and I would do a Landry for Lee straight up. The stats show that hes averaging 4 points more for 5+ mpg and has a career high in rb and stls. That is not alot for ever 5 minutes, making 2 backets every 5 mins. And your statement is r****ded, he isnt a "hyperactive carl landry", Carl hasnt even whiffed close to 10 rbs or 14 pts a game and they have different type of game.

Just admit you were being a lil b**** and r****ded, no need for you to start arguing when you havent provided any facts/stats or evidence to back your point :D

19. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

Put Landry in a free for all offense and lets see how many rebounds and points off put back he averages. And then lets put Lee in Houston where Yao Ming clogs the paint and Tmac hugs the ball and lets see his stats. At least Landry has a jumpshot, he might go to New York and become an all star. Lee is all he can he be now

20. worzel gummidge

That is basically Lee's offense. He doesn't have a jumpshot but he consitently put up double doubles (3rd in the league), stay on the floor, and can man the 5.

Landry is good but he's nowhere near as good as Lee at this stage.