1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portis for Bailey?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by drapg, Feb 23, 2004.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

If I were Denver, I'd REAAAALLY think long and hard about this trade. True shutdown corners are hard to find. Running backs, on the other hand, are usually a dime a dozen. New England won the Super Bowl with a pack of crappy ones. Indianapolis did well with Dominic Rhodes and Ricky Williams when Edge was out. St. Louis' Arlen Harris and Lamar Gordon filled in admirably for Marshall Faulk. How about our very own Domanick Davis? Heck, Denver itself is the KING of fill-in running backs. Replacing Portis would be tough, but not impossible. Having that shutdown corner is more important, IMO.

Besides, it's been reported that Portis doesn't have a very good work ethic. Plus, he runs his mouth a lot.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

In the AFC all the good teams throw the ball. Champ Bailey would be a major factor. Titans, Patriots, Colts are the three top teams and all of them rely heavily on the pass. You could proably include the Chiefs in there too.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

VS,

Reading this post, did you mean to say "Washington" instead of Denver about thinking long and hard? Your post makes more sense to me if you meant Washington instead of Denver.

RM95,

If Clarett ever became a Bronco, I would start rooting for the Titans. Seriously.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I wouldn't underestimate Clarrett. Big time Program. Big time Yards. He's a good pick. These are exactly the type of players the Titans have traditionally drafted and had a huge success with. The players that slip are usually the best deals.

5. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

No, I was referring to Denver here, since I think they'd get the better end of the deal with Bailey. Understandably, it would be very difficult for them to give up a wildly popular player like Portis (who's pretty much the #2 collectible football player in trading cards, behind Vick), but, in the long run, the team is more important than selling a few more jerseys.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

At least pick the Texans man!!!!

7. coma

coma Contributing Member

Noooo, you mean someone from Miami has an attitude problem? You've got to be kidding me.

8. drapg

drapg Member

Uh-oh. Prepare to duck and face the wrath of Mr. Ramirez.

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Weak. I guess Miami is the only school where this is the case, lol.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Good trade both ways - better for Broncos - the main question for
    Broncos is 'will Griffen be able to replace Portis' - answer yes.

Questions for Redskins - can Portis run at full speed for an entire season and playoffs (hasn't done it yet)... ?

Who replaces Bailey... ?

11. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

why? you and i could get 1500 yards with that O-Line. I mean, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson... they got 1500 yards a season... where they good elsewhere? no.

12. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

the dolphins have two... ty law of NE, some more i don't remember, but you're right... this is a good trade.

washington has another good corner already -- i paraphrase --

"2/3 of the world is covered by water, the rest is covered by smoot"

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

read the rest of thread for my answer to your question.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Shut down corners are key to great defenses. They allow you to to so much more with the rest of your defense, not depending on your linebackers in pass defense and allowing them more freedom.

That being said, Portis is special. I don't know what I would do.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Shanahan will pull some RB out of his ass in the 5th round and he'll run for 1500 yards.

To me this just decreases the only true offensive threat the Denver Broncos had, and gives them a great CB to plug into a horrid secondary. They still need some help on the front line.

16. tozai

tozai Member

I think people might be generalizing a little if you think you can stick any decent RB in Shanahan's system and get over 1000 yards. Portis is a really talented player. Anyway, although I'm not sure if Griffin can be an every down back, he definitely could get over 1000. He got some moves and is pretty strong. That midget terrorized UT, never fumbled the ball, and in the NFL he's still making people miss.

17. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Manny,

Agreed 100% on Clarrett. I hope the POS ends up being the biggest bust in NFL history.

18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Troy Vincent could be one or Sam Madison could if he is cut by the Dolphins, due to the salary cap. Snyder will throw some money at someone. The funny part is he could have his running back if he would have keot Stephen Davis

19. drapg

drapg Member

The New York Jets have jumped into the "Race for Champ"

Pretty crappy offering, if you ask me. But I'm from the "never trade quality for quantity" school.

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

The New York Jets have offered a package of veteran players to the Washington Redskins in an attempt to acquire four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey.

However, while their offer is not too late, it is probably worth too little.

New York's proposed package included three veterans -- defensive end Shaun Ellis, tight end Anthony Becht and tailback LaMont Jordan -- for Bailey.

It is that offer, and not an issue with Bailey's asking price, that appears to be a breaking point in the deal.

Jets officials spoke with Bailey's agent last week at the annual combine workouts in Indianapolis and are believe to have accepted Bailey's price. But it seems the package they proposed as compensation to the Redskins has proved insufficient.

In the meantime, Washington continues to concentrate on a trade that would send Bailey and a second-round draft choice to Denver for Broncos two-year veteran tailback Clinton Portis.

The Jets already have one starting cornerback, Donnie Abraham, who is represented by Jack Reale, the agent for Bailey, and the team has spoken to Reale about restructuring Abraham's current contract.

Given the lack of quality on the Redskins defensive line, Ellis would certainly be an upgrade, and clearly the top player included in the Jets proposal. The four-year veteran has never missed a game and emerged as the team's best defensive lineman in 2003, when he posted a career-best 12 ½ sacks.

The rest of the package, however, is suspect. Becht, like Ellis, was one of the Jets' four first-round choices in the 2000 draft, and has averaged 14 starts per season, but he has never had more than 40 receptions in a season. Plus, he hardly fits the mold of the tough in-line blocker Redskins coach Joe Gibbs favors at the tight end position.

Washington personnel chief Vinny Cerrato has always liked Jordan and, of course, it doesn't hurt that the three-year veteran played collegiately at Maryland, the alma mater of Redskins owner Dan Snyder. But Jordan has never carried more than 84 times in a year nor posted more than 316 yards.

Jordan is still viewed as an intriguing prospect but there has been no indication yet in his three seasons that he is capable of being a feature-type runner.

Another hurdle: All three veterans offered by the Jets are entering the final season of their respective contracts. The Redskins would have to reach extension agreements with all of them for the trade to be worthy of consideration.

20. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Ahmad is a work horse who while not the fastest or strongest back, just puts on his hardhat and lunchpail and goes to work. I knew him from covering the SEC and he is a great kid.

Now as far as this trade, the willingness of the Broncos to possibly make it shows that they obviously feel that that a shut-down corner would get them farther than Portis, whom they must feel is replaceable. Decent RB's are a dime a dozen, but shut-down corners with the talent level of Champ come along much more rarely.