1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portable MP3 Player help...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by candycane, Sep 27, 2004.

1. candycane

candycane Contributing Member

I am looking for some information on portable MP3 players. My top two choices are Dell Jukebox and the Ipod. Do you have any experiences with these? I also want to be able to play it in my truck. How would I go about doing that? Any comments, suggestions, and information is appreciated.

2. drapg

drapg Member

I just bought the 20GB Dell Jukebox, and it should arrive at my home today!!! I keep checking UPS' site to see if it was delivered!

Based on the AWESOME deal I got on the Dell, I say it was well worth it and the best option.

I can tell you more after I play with it tonight.

3. candycane

candycane Contributing Member

Thanks drapg. What kind of deal did you get on your Dell?

4. synergy

synergy Member

Are you sure you need a 20GB mp3 player? no one i know even uses a tenth of that space on their Ipod's.

a better choice is a Rio carbon. The Rio Carbon is 5GB, retails for about $210, and is half the size of an Ipod.

Plus longer battery life. There are some other Rio's on the market which are smaller in capacity if you are interested in them.

5. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I actually use all my 20gb and if I had a 40gb ipod, i would have all that filled too :p

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I have used both. I have the ipod 20 Gig, and honestly the interface is sooo much better that it more than makes up for the battery life. I love the jukes ability to ccreate playlists on the go, and delete songs etc. But I think the new ipod does that too, if it doesnt its still better. plus itunes is better than any other jukebox so that helps.

I would look into sony's new mp3 player with like 30 hours of battery life.

7. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I know you weren't asking about this one, but I just thought I'd chime in and say I love my Rio Karma. The Gapless FLAC playing rules! I love ogg support too, and the cradle is badass. I'm listening to DMB FLACs right now through it :) Oh, and the ethernet port rules too!

I like the Dell Jukebox too, but it didn't have nearly as many features as the Karma did, and the gapless play is a killer app for me.

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

yeah i took a look at that and it seems really nice...i saw commercials for it and everything and took a look at it as well. I have been looking to buy an MP3 player for a while so i might take a look at the sony one even though i have wanted an IPOD since the Sony is a bit smaller.

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

the new ipods have much better battery life than the older generations. I haven't used a Jukebox before so I can't comment on that but I have used an ipod and its amazing! the whole design is awesome! it feels flawless

10. PhiSlammaJamma

All I can say is IPOD has never failed me. While many other mp3 players have died in my grip.

11. synergy

synergy Member

To play your MP3 in your truck you will need a cd-cassette player adapter: Link

You can find these cheaper in most stores though.

12. drapg

drapg Member

I got it for $179.99 and free shipping.

13. drapg

drapg Member

Oh, and about Rio...

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Rio is second on my all-time **** list, right behind Sprint.

I've owned multiple MP3 players made by them, and they all sucked ass. All died within 2 months of purchase.

NEVER AGAIN!

stupid UPS still hasn't delivered my Dell. :(

14. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I would actually recommend a wireless FM transmitter. It probably sounds a lot better using one of those than the old school technology Cd to cassete adapter.

All you do is plug the transmitter into the headphone jack and select a station you want to transmit to, and tune to that station from your car radio.

15. drapg

drapg Member

I've heard nothing but bad things about the FM transmitters. I was going to buy a Belkin II FM transmitter for my Dell, but I've heard its very poor and there is a LOT of static involved.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You can buy an aftermarket FM modulator that plugs into your MP3 player if it supports it. You can take a look at the Neuros MP3 player that has it built into it. I have a Neuros and have been happy with it.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've heard the same about most of the aftermarket ones. The built-in one I have on my Neuros has worked pretty much flawlessly on drives from Houston to Dallas and back.

18. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

:) You definitely have a point with the reliability. But I haven't had any problems with mine, and I got the extended warranty so that when I do have a problem, I can just send it in for a $250 gift card. I think what's been the big help is that I bought a case from MindKnob, and it's protected it very well. I've dropped it quite a few times and no problems yet. I quite literally use mine all the time. At least 3 to 5 hours a day, and often times more like 7 to 10. Whenever anyone asks me about if they should get a Karma, I tell them to get the warranty, and be prepared to muck with the device a bit. I don't really think it's for everyone, but I love its features, and I couldn't be happier with it.

19. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Sorry, Rio Sucks, The FM transmitters are OK, well the ones Ive used for the Dell, and the Ipod. But the battery life sucks monkey balls, and thats where most of my money was going, AAA batteries, Ill stick with my wired cassete - ipod converter. Decent sound quality, and works as long as your mp3 playerhas power.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

True, but let me state, the battery powered mp3 players are far more durable than the recharable when it comes to running. I don't know if has something to do with the rain, the hard drive, or whatever. But the battery operated mp3's are built to survive. I only run with the battery operated Rio now just to be safe. And trust me, I have a lot of experience with this problem.