1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Port Arthur, TX: Houston Top Choice for F Stephen Jackson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by forchette49, Jul 2, 2004.

1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are making excuses for a bad character. He was a bad guy with the Spurs. SJ couldn't seem to figure out that Duncan guy should get the ball, first. He whined. He ridiculously overplayed his hand as free agent. He got a kick in the ass on the way out the door. He is a moron and a cancer.

Let's put some good eggs around Tmac, for vet character. Not frickin' b****y drama queen women like Ste Jack.

2. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

The problem with Jackson is that he thinks he's a star which he is not so he is not going to get super star money...he's just a role player.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Only problem I have is he fits a need that is well below the need for a starting Point, solid back up 5, and heaven forbid, an upgrade at the 4.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Well, its not like we really have any real options at the 2 and 3 positions after McGrady and JJ.

Piatkowski
    Nachbar
    Griffin

Not really a lethal combo of players coming off the bench (although I love Nachbar and would refuse to include him in any kind of trade).

I'd easily take Steph Jack to upgrade that area of our team. He could play the 2 or the 3, so it basically kills two birds with one stone.

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

What people forget is after TD he was their 2nd best and 2nd most consistent all around player on their championship team. They do not have a #2 ring if it wasn't for SJ. In Atlanta it was a completely different situation and he had to play a different way (take any semi open shot that comes your way) because of the dearth of talent there.

I kind of doubt he lands in either SA or Houston though. SA made their decision last year they would rather stock up more for Manu than reward SJ with a decent deal. SA might have made the right decision, we will see. I don't see them ponying up a salary for like 8 mil starting for Manu and like 6 for SJ when they have other needs. Now if they decide Denver or Phx will pay Manu too much, yeah than SJ would be quite logical, but I doubt Manu leaves. For Houston, 5 mil starting to a swingman doesn't make too much sense either when another PG and defensive 4/5 are much bigger problems.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd much rather have Bowen, Trenton Hassell or Eric Williams. All of whom but possibly Bowen will command far less money.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Hassell is restricted, Minny will match any reasonable salary. I do think most probably Bowen and definetly Williams will be much cheaper. Williams can have our 1.6 mil exemption tomarrow, but if he wants more we tell him he has to wait a while (figure out our PG or back-up C spot 1st if not both before addressing another swingman).

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Williams is too streaky. He's the type of guy that will put together 3 or 4 good games, then follow it up with a series of disappearing acts. Also, he isn't a good shooter by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd rather make a move for SJ than Williams.

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Williams is a far better defender and hustle player. We wouldn't expect him to be a big time scorer anyway.

He'd be a better fit than SJax; he'd be willing to come off the bench.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Eric Williams would be dynamite on the Rockets. Let him and Tmac patrol the perimeter defense. Good locker room guy too!

11. job

job Contributing Member

S. Jackson would be a great pickup, if he gives us a hometown discount. He is athletic enough to contribute defensively under JVG and has offensive skills. He would be ideal as a backup SF. You cannot teach athleticism, and wanting to go with teams coached by Popavich or JVG probably means he would want to be a team player.

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Williams a far better defender than Jackson? Not a chance. At best they are similar, but, IMO, Jackson is the better of the two. He's quicker, gets more deflections, more steals in addition to being the better passer.

As far as scoring expectations for whoever we bring in, while I agree that player will not be looked to for scoring, they will be expected to be able to hit shots when needed. Williams shoots an average percentage from the field and a below average 3 point shooter. That combination does not make him very valuable in the Rockets offense. We don't need another Shandon Anderson type.

13. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie