1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Port Arthur, TX: Houston Top Choice for F Stephen Jackson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by forchette49, Jul 2, 2004.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He averaged about 25 points per game over the last 2 months of the season, shooting 44% from the field.

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Mobley averaged about 20 ppg one season and shot about the same from the field and he was labeled a ball-hog.

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Who else on that team was going to put the ball in the basket?

4. rezdawg

Who cares? Scoring that many points with that field goal percentage is impressive.

And if he was the only option, then thats even more impressive because defenses key in on him.

5. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

But he wont be the only Option here. infact he wont be the 2nd or even the 3rd Option here. so that tottaly overrides argument.

6. rezdawg

Of course he wont be...Im defending his skills as a basketball player because people here are dismissing what he did last year.

But the fact that he knows his role on a team of stars is nice and he is a young, athletic player that can score if need be.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Good news. Keep the status quo on this front CD. Just say no to SJ.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

jackson is not a need and i certainly wouldn't throw money at him until the pg and back up center positions are filled.

9. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Look he can be effective on a team that needs him to be the 1 or 2nd scoring option... Anyway, the rockets main 2 needs at this point are PG and a Backup C. Unless Stephen jackson can fit those bills, i see no Point arguing over nothing.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Sure,

Why would we want a guy who shoots the ball well from 3 point range, and has a championship ring by playing for a defensive minded coach who plays an inside out game?

We would not want him, right.

PUHHHHLLLLLEEEAAAAASSSEEEE !!!

Just because he shot a lot in Atlanta does not mean he would do that with Yao and TMac.

Sometimes I can't believe how people on here can not see the forest through the trees.

If he fits and makes the Rocks better....then I don't give a rats patootie if he was a ballhog on a lousy team.

DD

11. rezdawg

Thanks DD...thats why Im defending him.

The guy is young...athletic...plays defense...and can score.

What am I missing here?

Sure, if the money is not right, then of course we shouldnt go after him because we have needs at PG and PF/C. But to completely dismiss him as an option is silly.

What happens if Fisher, Barry, Hudson, Arroyo, etc., decide to play for other teams? There is no guarentee we are getting anyone, so we should keep our options open.

12. q-tab

q-tab New Member

13. RocketsPimp

First off he's going to want the big contract he was expecting, but never got from San Antonio forcing him to settle for a deal with Atlanta the 2 year, $2 million deal with player option to enter free agency.

Secondly, yeah he can score.....on a bad team where he took on average of 16 shots per game. Also, I don't consider a 33% career 3 point shooter someone who shoots the ball well from downtown.

I'll give you that he is a decent defender.

#33 RocketsPimp, Jul 2, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
  14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Where does this notion that SJ is a good defender come from? He's a mediocre defender. He's an above average shooter. He is very athletic.

But he loves to dominate the ball(yes, even when he was with the spurs) and he has lousy shot selection, and he is careless with the ball. Hmm, I thought we just got rid of Mooch, Mobes, and SF? Now we want the worst parts of their games back? Nuh uh, no thanks.

I wouldn't completely dismiss SJ though. If he wants like, 2 million a year, to come off the bench and be a sparkplug, sure that's a role he'd be good at. But the full MLE? A starting role? Ugh. Pass.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jackson is another low IQ, high athletic scorer. We just got rid of one. Don't want to get one back.

16. RocketsPimp

I think he's an above average defender the way the game is played today. He fills passing lanes and gets alot of deflections. He was #6 is steals per game.

But as I said in my first post, anyone who didn't like Mobley, really won't like Jackson.

17. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

If it doesn't impeed our progress at pg or backup 5, I'd be all for adding him. I want Gundy to stretch out our rotation this season.

18. codell

codell Contributing Member

Jim Jackson, besides PPG (shot attempts) had similar stats, and shot better from 3 pt land. Plus, hed be about 3 MIL cheaper.

Lets keep JJ.

19. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

RANKS 10th in Total Turnovers

20. rezdawg

That could be as result of him HAVING to do everything for the Hawks offensively. Make him a role player and things would change.

Im all for filling up PG and PF/C first, but if he could be had at a cheap price, im all for it. Besides, its not like we have much depth at SG/SF.