1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

popup killer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by red, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I agree with the majority of people here. The new Google Toolbar Rocks! Just make sure you go into the options and enable the pop up blocker, because by default it is off.

2. red

red Contributing Member

well i upgraded my IE and now the popup killer is activated. but im still gettting those window messenger popups and that is damn annoying.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Pop ups suck. I used to get a bunch of them, and now they are suddenly back.

But...what makes it worse now is they are p*rn pop ups. I left for a few days, went to houston, and now came back up and they are popping up like crazy. I will be on CC.net in the BBS reading posts etc, and then i click on a link to another thread and suddenly it takes me to p*rn...and then launches endless amounts of more windows. :mad:

4. lnghrn4life

lnghrn4life Member

Stay with the google pop up blocker it will work fine. It took mine a couple of days to get all of tem b/c some of the sites u visited b4 you dowenloaded it were still cached (wow it sounds like i kno what i am talking about) . But in the past two months i have not seen a single pop up ad and it has blocked currently 1555 pop ups pretty good stuff there.

5. no_answer

no_answer Member

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

EMS Free Surfer mkII

so far it has stopped over 15,000 pop-ups in about 6 months

7. lggarcia

lggarcia Contributing Member

I'm using avant browser.. works really well on pop up killers.. but.. it does it too well.. there are some sites that have built in java pop up for articles.. forms.. pics or other things I want.. does google.. or any y'all reccommend let you.. control this? it's tough going all or nothing.. I'd rather block them all.. then pull up ol IE.. w/o blocker to go to the sites with pop ups I need

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

You may have spyware/adware my friend...

use this: SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY

i feel this is one of the best utitilities available for fixing spyware/adware. please read all FAQ's and instructions. When I used this, I found that in some instances your machine will seem likes it's stuck/hanging/crashed... be patient cause there are a few spyare programs that will bog down the search but it will eventually kick in and continue to clean, restart your machine as it instructs and you may have to run it twice. have fun!

:)

9. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

err... sorry dp

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Go into your services from the admin tools, and turn off the Messenger service. This will stop all of those annoying messenger boxes.

11. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I too recommend Mozilla (or Firebird) to deal with popups. If you go that route check out Adblock (adblock.mozdev.com) too, it's simple to use and very effective against banner ads and other unwanted content.

12. red

red Contributing Member

where is this admin tools you speak of?

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

In your control panel.

14. BBnP4l

BBnP4l Member

I third this. I am using Mozilla Firebird to post this. Tabbed browsing is one of the best features in the browsing world. The skins are good too. Pop ups - none. But if there's a pop-up window that is needed, you can still access it. Mozilla pwns IE.

15. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Especially Firebird. I've been a Mozilla fan for a LONG LONG LONG time, since M16, and at version 0.7 I found it stable enough for my only browser. I used it up until 1.4, then I tried Firebird . . .

Firebird is the greatest browser ever made! It's SOOOOO fast, the extensions are great, the skins are nice, and again, it's so so so fast. Unfortunately, the only thing I can do to get people to switch from IE is to tell them about the popup blocker. It still has a little ways to go, but at 0.61, Firebird is better than any other browser out there . . .

16. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I think I know what your problems is... Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but you keep getting the same messages on your computer that are for places like killmessenger.com or stopmessenger.com or stuff like that right?

Here's how to solve that problem...Assuming that you A.) have XP and 2.) have LAN hookups.

1. Get to your network connections place, and right click on your LAN icon and select properties.

2. Go to the ADVANCED tab, and make sure you check the box that says "Protect my computer... by preventing access from the Internet."

I apparently didnt have that checked and I went through something like that for a while before I just got irate about the situation and clicked on every freaking option in the whole computer before I found that... Since that, I havent had any problems.

But I use the google toolbar too for all those other popups. So its still a good idea to have it.

17. red

red Contributing Member

Harrisment...that did the trick...thank you very much.

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

no problem buddy