1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pops signed by Rockets 3 days ago...but not article????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am so confused...I came here to check out the reaction to the signing of Pops and there's nothing here? What is going on.

Anyway, so I guess I will start a thread on it? I feel like i am missing something.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6601196.html

Mensah-Bonsu acquired
    Rockets add depth, energy to frontcourt
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
    Sept. 3, 2009, 8:47PM
    photo
    CHUCK BURTON AP

Pops Mensah-Bonsu, who played college ball at George Washington, averaged 5 points and 5.1 rebounds a game last season in split duty with the Spurs and Raptors.

Seeking frontcourt depth as they rebuild without Yao Ming, the Rockets signed forward/center Pops Mensah-Bonsu on Thursday to a non-guaranteed, one-year contract.

A minimum contract for a player with Mensah-Bonsu’s experience is worth roughly $825,000. The team had reached agreement with Mensah-Bonsu weeks ago, but the signing was held up because of complications with the insurance he needed to play for England’s national team.

Mensah-Bonsu, a 6-9, 235-pound forward who likely also will work at center with the Rockets, has played in 34 NBA games in two seasons with Dallas, San Antonio and Toronto, averaging 4.1 points and 3.9 rebounds in 10.4 minutes per game.

Mensah-Bonsu, 25, likely will compete with second-year player Joey Dorsey for playing time and possibly a roster spot, depending on other moves. The Rockets have 17 players on their roster, two more than permitted, with guard/forward James White and Mensah-Bonsu heading to training camp with non-guaranteed contracts.

“Pops will bring shot-blocking, energy and depth to our bigs,” general manager Daryl Morey said. “He will fit in well with our focus on up-tempo play.”

In other news

Timberwolves add Laimbeer, Theus — Former Detroit Piston Bill Laimbeer and former Sacramento Kings coach Reggie Theus are among the assistants who will work under Kurt Rambis with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The staff also includes Dave Wohl, who most recently worked in the Boston Celtics organization. J.B. Bickerstaff is being retained from Kevin McHale’s staff.

Laimbeer resigned as coach of the WNBA’s Detroit Shock this summer.

Theus was fired by the Kings in December after 106 games as coach.

Bowen retires — Bruce Bowen won’t pester the NBA’s best anymore.

The former San Antonio Spurs forward retired after 12 seasons in the NBA and a reputation as one of the league’s most menacing defensive players.

He called it quits after being waived this summer by Milwaukee, where the Spurs dealt him in a veteran dump-off for Richard Jefferson.

“It’s not how you start but how you finish,” Bowen said. “I hope my legacy would be as someone that never was satisfied with just being where they were.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

2. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I'm confused too. Are you asking why there's not a thread about this already? Because there is (it's on page 2).

Or...are you asking why there's not an article about the signing? Because there is (it's in this thread).

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Ok, i missed that. Usually a signing is sticky'd.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Usually not for a 1 year non-guaranteed contract signing.

6. tomjc

tomjc Member

the biggest tragedy the rockets could have is NOT-signing this guy, here we have a diamond in the rough, the goal is to hide the talent a little bit, limited minutes, bring him out in playoffs

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

:D
    :D

Can't believe the PJ Ramos signing wasn't stickied either! (although Mensah-Bonsu is probably three times as good)

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

yeah that's right, you've uncovered the secret weapon of Morey and Adelman's grand masterplan this year...unleash the Pops beast on those unsuspecting playoff teams, one problem with that though...it involves the word playoffs...

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's not significant. He's a non-guaranteed contract, and there's a decent chance he won't even make it out of training camp.

I'm treating him like Mike Harris right now. We'll see what he does October.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Well, either he or Joey Dorsey have to make the team. We can't go into the season with just one legit big man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.