1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popovich - "we live in a racist country that hasn’t figured it out yet”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Feb 12, 2018.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

but pop didn't say trump was racist, he said the country was. i prefer to talk about what he said not what he didn't.

2. ipaman

get the hell in school and learn some reading comprehension

joeson332 likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Are you that offended that Pop called a country that elected a man who was labeling the previous president Kenyian born and started his camaign walking down a magic escalator stating how most undocumented Mexican immigrants are rapists to the highest office in the land racist?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. ipaman

are you forgetting that he lost the popular vote? are you forgetting that he ran against "corrupt" establishment? are you forgetting that some bernie supporters voted for trump because of the corrupt dnc? which brings up a very good point. you think that bernie supports who voted trump (check the data there are thousands) are racist? don't live with absolutes and in a vacuum like pop bro. real life is way more complex and granular. in this country the majority are 100% not racists at all, a tiny marginalized group of full blown racists, and some very honest, hardworking, "good," people sort of in between but much closer to the not racist majority. let's call them old fashion, ignorant, whatever... but call them racist (like pop did) then you risk having them feel that they are being attacked and wrongly labeled. sort of the same situation of a wife who always accusing her husband of cheating when he doesn't, eventually he might and would be wrong for it but the wife certainly made matters worse not better. the fact that you won't admit that pop could have made his point/stand in a much more constructive way proves you're not opened minded at all.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

100% wrong. Of course it has bearing on your life. You lack basic fundamental understanding of how human behaviors are shaped and values are ingrained in people. 9/10 times those values come from parents.

When it comes to the black community, white America over multiple generations eroded, degraded, and stripped the value of hard-work from black folks. Why would you work hard when you'll never get a job anyway due to the color of your skin? Why study hard in school when you will still be denied admission into the most prestigious institutions this country has to offer? Society was geared towards holding black people down for generations.

So yes, when my parents couldn't be rewarded for being good in school or hard-working due to no fault of their own, it's going to affect my life and the values that they bestow on me. As a result of this, I will not have the values in place to teach my children the same thing.

6. fchowd0311

Your point would make sense if this was an outsider calling America racist.

In order for your spouse analogy to work, it would require Pop to not be a former Naval officer for the United States. Try your analogy with the husband criticizing himself.

You being so offended by this is just hilarous. It's obvious that Pop is frustrated that this nation is represented by a head of state that started his political career by calling the previous president not American and riding down a magic escalator stating that most undocumented Mexicans are rapists while tweeting false inforgraphic about black crime created by self-labeled white supremacists.

#206 fchowd0311, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Which is what you are doing. Pulling your opinion out of the same orifice, with all due respect. You have irony oozing from every pore. Why? Because you are, and have been for a very long time, one of the most absolutist people here. You think you're right about everything, making sweeping generalizations at the drop of a hat. Here's an example of you being just like those you are accusing:

'it really sucks to be poor in this country because at best you can go from poor to middle class but no higher."

That's a sweeping generalization, ipaman, and it simply isn't true. I'll have to tell one of my best friends who made it to the "upper classes" and grew up with every disadvantage except one, his color (which shouldn't matter, right? Because we aren't a racist country!), to hand it all back to society, because according to you, he doesn't fit the meme. The horse's ass is you, dude. Again, with all due respect. When it comes to sweeping generalizations I think I'll go with Pop's, not yours.

8. ipaman

keep making excuses for pop's poor choice of words and poor attempt. keep defending him but not the majority f good hard working tolerant folks of this country who he is judging.

9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Man you are mad. We don’t have enough time in the world to be mad my good sir. The gym is a good place I go to to release anger

10. ipaman

you're right that statement is missing entertainment (music, movies, etc...) outliers but the context is the general population with traditional education ladder approach. but you love to pick apart my (random online person) words but not pop's (nba head coach with millions of audience) which is ridiculous. you hold me to a higher standard with my words than pop so you can fack off because that's the most ridiculous and you know it.

11. ipaman

not bad just defending the people of our country because despite all of our problems we are the most diverse and amazing country on this planet. i'm mexican american and have family in mexico. i've seen what real institutionalized discrimination is. i've been to europe, i know what real racism looks like. our country and it's people overall are great and i'm tired of folks with a large media platform throw such ugly, disgusting, labels out there like that on people they've never even met.

12. fchowd0311

He's judging those who were very offended by that statement... Rightfully so.

13. fchowd0311

Oh so you've met every Mexican national?

14. ipaman

of course not but i've spent a bunch of time in both countries and the difference is obvious. if you don't believe me and you think it's better there you should move. meanwhile thousands of them will keep risking it all to come here.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nice point about "missing entertainment outliers," except that I never mentioned entertainment. My buddy went from being a machinist at Hughes Tool, quite a step up for him, to graduating from UT in 3 years and then getting an MBA from Harvard. The only help he got was from my significant other, who helped edit his applications. How did he do that? By busting his ass and because he was pissed off. You should be able to relate to being pissed off. His bosses at Hughes told him to quit trying to move up. That he had learned how to operate everything they had an interest in him operating, to shut up, and simply to, "Do your job! Forget about promotions." His response? "**** you. I quit." That's when he went to college, maxing out credit cards and living with us in Austin part of the time in order to do it, then getting into Harvard, which surprised the two of us, but not him. Today he's the CFO of a major corporation. Crazy.

16. ipaman

your excusing and defending of pop is unrelenting. you would defend pop with your life wouldn't you? why you all on his nutz? spurs lover?

17. ipaman

if your friend is black, that wouldn't be possible in a racist country right?

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's not. It doesn't matter. Pop's right. There's still widespread racism in this country, and a lot of people look the other way, or simply don't believe it. This is after decades of slow progress, but progress, nevertheless. A racist was "elected" president in 2016. Ignore the proof if you like, but you're foolish to disrespect those who disagree with you, in my humble opinion.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

You are debating relativism while Pop is talking about self reflection.

Did Pop suggest that the United States is the worst racist country on the planet?

mdrowe00 likes this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Regardless of how much racism there is

Middle class and up blacks have to take more responsibility in helping blacks in poor black communities.

The government can't fix broken homes. That's not to say the government shouldn't make an effort. We have civil rights.

We also have to stop making a big deal of issues like blacks in Hollywood. We have black directors. If we have any big money support, Hollywood is like the biggest supporter of our plight.

On Trump winning, he won the electoral college by flipping the white Reagan Democrat vote in the upper Midwest. Those people voted for Obama.

#220 pgabriel, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018