1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popovich lost these two games

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Jun 20, 2013.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just putting this out there. Stubborn man

Oh and poor Duncan. Dream would have slammed that against Battier defense.

So sad

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

He had some bad decisions in Game 7 but wouldn't say he lost them this one.

He definitely lost them game 6.

3. m0lson

m0lson Member

Sorry but Dream wasn't near as good as Duncan is at 37

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

50 year old Dream would have dunked that on Battier.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Was Manu still in the game????
    Did Pop let him stay in there???
    then yea. . . POP LOST THESE LAST TWO

Rocket River

6. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Game 6 was all Pop's fault imo. Wtf was up with those last 20 seconds? That lost them the f-in series.

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I still dont understand...how a surefire HOF SG just choses to just breakdown totally...he looked like a Ginobli, but man he played like garbage the entire playoffs...

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If the bounce goes a different way they win. A lot of it is just luck.

9. heypartner

You need to look up Dreams year at age 36, which is statistically better than Duncans 36. But ok. Dream would have not missed that shot or second shot. He would have spinned Battier out of his jock strap

1 person likes this.
  10. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

I don't know how Popovich could sleep after losing this series. If I were Duncan, I wouldn't talk to Pop all summer. Popovich deserves as much blame as can be foisted on him for losing game 6. I wouldn't dream of taking Tim Duncan out of the game with 20 seconds left. He's your best rebounder/paint-defender/leader/captain. I mean, WTF?

Duncan deserved better than being benched at the end of game 6. He stays in the game, they most likely win it that night. Popovich had too much power and benched his best player in crunch time; you just DO NOT DO THAT for any reason.

Twenty-some seconds left in the game and you get benched. You put your players in a position to win, not on the bench. Let Tim Duncan clinch the game by getting a rebound or two, hit some freethrows. Offense/Defensive substitutions are BS for the most part. This isn't football. The Spurs only had enough in the tank to win in 6, and Pop blew it.

He blew it on three separate aspects of the game at the end. Taking Duncan out for those two 3's the Heat got on those offensive rebounds. And for not fouling while up by 3 with the Heat needing 3. At least make if difficult for the Heat to win for chrissakes. You don't roll the dice on OT or a Game 7 with an old, shaky team away from home. You leave Duncan in the goddamned game and live and die with him on Defense for godsakes. If the opponent needs 3 points, you foul them and send them to the line - that way they still have to foul you on the next possession change, or they need to pull off a miracle play.

Shame. Too much tinkering when unneccessary. I don't see how a coach *****s up that badly when the game is in hand.

2 people like this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

diaw should have played A LOT more tonight. and duncan's # should have been called more down the stretch.

game 6 was one of the worst coaching fiasco's in nba history

12. heypartner

Why they hell did Pops sit Parker on that turnover play by Gino. Then he puts him back in

He was just being stubborn. Ginobody should only be a decoy

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Popovich is an amazing coach, and he did a hell of a job with this team. It's just too easy to blame a coach in a close loss.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well yeah it's easy to blame him for Benching Duncan in a close game where rebounds matter.

Him and Vogel benching their best big man when they were needed on the floor is mind boggling and I simply can't see any reason both of those things happened.

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I honestly dont get the rap that Pop is getting for that call...its his call...and he is a darn good coach...we are no more educated about the game than members of the media...Coach Pop did what waas best for his team...it was on his players to secure the rebound...

16. da1

da1 Member

I don't know why diaw didn't get more playing time tonight he played well while he was in there and is a great passer and good shooter also.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I hate this too. People assume dream slowed down quicker because they remember those last years. Now, can I claim he would have been this good in a deep playoff run at that age? Maybe not. But I'd only really say the Grizzlies had any true interior competition for him.

The other thing of note about the Heat championships is the degree of small ball they to to do it. But then it makes sense when you have Lebron who can guard 4 positions and so much talent on the perimeter.

This is also why I strongly favor a Dwight + all star esque PF for they Rockets then I would a Dwight/CP3 combo. Dwight, Harden and LMA/Love... Heck even Josh Smith or Millsap would give the Heat fits.

18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I feel bad for Tony Parker. Pop treats him like a canned superstar and Duncan treats him like a little kid. Pop sat Tony Parker the final minutes yet plays D.Green who was dubbed the NBA Finals MVP for his record 3s finally wakes up become Danny Green. Snap, Crackle and Popped!!

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

20. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

They lost to a team BUILT to win MULTIPLE championships. Keep in mind, hardly anybody picked Spurs to make it to the finals. Oh, and they only lost with a few ticks on the clock. I would say that the better team won and that both teams gave it all that they had. Great series and we should appreciate basketball at its finest.