1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popovich, "I think Yao was playing at an MVP pace before he got hurt."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rob English, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Rob English

Rob English Member

Quite a compliment coming from such a great coach. He doesn't just throw around statements like this very often. I like him because he calls things as he sees them, and doesn't pull any punches.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/basketball/4600467.html

Spurs 97, Rockets 74

HOUSTON — Tim Duncan knew right away it was going to be a good night.

Duncan scored 26 points and the San Antonio Spurs beat the Houston Rockets 97-74 on Saturday night for their season-high eighth straight victory.

Duncan hit his first five shots and scored 15 points in the first quarter. He had eight in a 12-0 run that opened an 18-5 lead with 6:18 to go in the first quarter.

"It feels good to hit your first few shots," Duncan said. "It makes the rest of the game go easy. My shot felt good the entire night."

Duncan hit at least four of his trademark bank shots, soft floaters that look off at first before they glance off the glass and fall in.

"It's what's going in now," he said. "I hope it keeps going in for a while."

So do the Spurs.

"When he starts like that, it gives him confidence and gives us confidence, too," guard Manu Ginobili said. "When he starts making those shots, it opens up the whole game for us.

"We played great, especially defensively. It was a great overall game by everybody."

The Spurs got 14 points from Michael Finley and 13 points and eight rebounds from Francisco Elson as they won in Houston for the fourth straight time. San Antonio played without All-Star guard Tony Parker, who sat with a strained left hip.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich pointed to the fact the Rockets are playing without center Yao Ming.

"I thought we played good defense tonight," Popovich said. "We also were playing a team that is very undermanned. I think Yao was playing at an MVP pace before he got hurt."

Tracy McGrady had 21 points, all in the first half, as Houston lost for the fifth time in eight games.

"For us to turn the ball over 10 times in the first quarter, that just says it all right there," McGrady said. "And Duncan got off to a great start to get those guys going and they never looked back."

Coach Jeff Van Gundy had no excuses.

"The breakdown was we got it put to us by a championship-caliber team playing championship-caliber basketball with championship poise and intensity," Van Gundy said. "We really only had two guys playing well. (Shane) Battier and McGrady played well. I thought other than that we didn't have anyone play particularly well."

Duncan's eight points in the third quarter helped the Spurs maintain at least a 20-point advantage through most of the period. San Antonio led 81-59 entering the fourth and the lead reached as many as 29 in the final period.

The Spurs opened up a 20-point lead midway through the second quarter as Finley, who didn't play the first period, scored seven quick points and Elson added a three-point play for a 46-26 advantage.

McGrady scored 14 in the second quarter to pull the Rockets within 12. But Duncan had 18 at the half as San Antonio led 54-42.

San Antonio hit 73.3 percent (11-of-15) to lead 30-15 after one.

Notes: @ Jacque Vaughn replaced Parker in the lineup Saturday. ... The crowd of 18,394 was the Rockets' second-largest crowd in history behind the 18,392 that saw the Lakers on Dec. 12, 2006. It was the 18th sellout of the season. ... After beating Denver Friday, Houston is 7-8 in the second game of back-to-backs this season. The Spurs beat Orlando Friday and are 10-5 in the second games of back-to-backs this season. ... The win clinched San Antonio's 10th straight winning road season. The Lakers and Celtics are the only other NBA teams to have accomplished that. ... Neither team has scored 100 in this series in the last 20 meetings, the longest current such streak in the NBA.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Thank you Captain Obvious.

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

JVG and Popovich always give props to each other and their teams, etc.

4. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

That makes absolutely no sense.

5. pli777

pli777 Member

LOL I know! Great pick up, these journalists/reporters should really polish their maths first before writing anything. :D

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

what makes even less sense is I was at the game and I thought it was sad how the place wasn't packed. then I come to find out it was the 2nd (or 1st if you are in the camp that thinks 18394 is great than 18392) best attendence ever for the TC. it was a good sized crowd but I would have never guessed it was in the top 2.

7. armyman789

armyman789 Member

seriously houston has such lazy fans. It's mainly all those old damn farts that go to the game and dont make any noise. TC should just give out tickets to clutchfans and watch us make a ****load of noise. :D

8. conquistador#11

" no one ever teached me the math"-david beckham- :D

9. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

We should campaign for this, have TC give us all free tickets, or discounted tickets to ONE game, in the lower sections. When the Rockets see the result, they will love it! And thus, we start a new era.

10. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

pretty sure they would much rather have the money then the noise.

11. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

They did that this week with free tickets to Red Rowdy wannabees. My son and I went and got in free, had great seats in the lower bowl, row nine in front of the rowdies. They planned to giveaway almost 500 tickets but only about 200 people showed up.

They can't be faulted for trying to get the noise up. They gave away tickets and people didn't come for free. So whatcha gonna do?

I was there last night and there is no way that was a large crowd. Maybe by ticket sales but MANY, MANY empty seats in the lower bowls between the baselines.

12. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Math, compliments of the houston chronicle...

13. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

Maybe they adjusted for inflation :)