1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popeye's fish sandwich

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Looking at that menu, I'm drooling.

Anybody know of a place with similar food around the Kemah/Seabrook area (the restaurant part of Kenney's, not the seafood market, that is)? I plan on taking a trip down there for some fresh seafood probably later this year and bring it back to Dallas. I have to hit up Rose's seafood market -- I haven't been since I was a little kid. lol.

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I’ve got a place nearby, and I’ve searched and searched......we just don’t get seafood the way they do it in Louisiana. I certainly haven’t found it. Gilhooleys can be decent as an oyster bar. Pier 6 can be really good for the area, but even at their best, they just don’t compare with the places I’ve found In Louisiana. As for Rose’s though...,.lately they’ve had this sashimi grade Scottish salmon that is off the charts good. Everything I’ve read claims that Scottish salmon is farm raised, and farm raised salmon is supposed to really suck, BUT Scottish farm raised is the best Of the best farm raised. Wherever the truth lies, this stuff is awesome in my opinion. It’s like salmon butter. We’ve sat down and consumed pounds of this stuff as sashimi. If you like salmon sashimi.....can’t say enough good things about it.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Have you tried Gilhooley's, in San Leon -- about 15 minutes from Kemah? Not the full Po-Boy lineup as that Kenney's menu, but plenty of cross-over. They specialize in Oysters.

No kids allowed, though :cool:

https://www.gilhooleystx.com

I've never been to Kenney's, and I'd venture to guess if Pole/Buck are recomending it, then it's certainly better than Gilhooley's, unless you're going for the Oysters. But Gilhooley's is what locals would point you to.

Buck Turgidson and Dr of Dunk like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm going to have to go ... maybe next month, when I'm back in town. I recently read a review of the chef ... interesting.

I was going to mention it above, but thought maybe too frou frou for a recommendation next to kenney's

Were you out of town during Reef's run in Houston midtown? I really liked that.

My opinion of seafood is just because we don't have seafood restaurants, we can still find great seafood dishes ... like Merlion Thai in Seabrook ... a big fave of Robb Walsh, who lived in Thailand for awhile. He said he never reviews Thai restuarants, because [paraphrase] "I'm not fair to them after living in Thailand, but Merlion's seafood dishes are worth reviewing."

I haven't been there since Ike, though.

#64 heypartner, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Oh man...Rose's was my go-to when I was in Houston. That salmon sounds amazing, I'd do exactly what you're doing and eat lbs of it raw. I avoid farm-raised salmon* (they're lousy with parasites and diseases, so they get fed antibiotics and parasiticals, and since they're not eating a natural diet you have to add coloring agents to their food to make the flesh salmon-colored)...but I'll keep my eyes out for Scottish farmed stuff.

I've given up on toro/bluefin tuna for environmental reasons (which sucks, because I love it), still eat ahi/yellowfin (pole caught)...so I eat a ton more salmon sushi, grilled salmon now.

I like this resource from the Monterrey Bay Aquarium, since I try to be a responsible omnivore: https://www.seafoodwatch.org/

*and all seafood farm-raised in Asia

#65 Buck Turgidson, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021