1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pope says smacking children is ok "if their dignity is maintained"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 6, 2015.

?

Do you think it is ok to hit your children?

1. Yes, how I raise my children is my business

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Only if "their dignity is maintained"

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. No, never.

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Remii

Remii Member

Shouldn't the question be does physical punishment work and is that the reason they are where they are at in life now...???

I don't know exactly what 'dignity' has to do with it but physical punishment is about inflicting pain and 'FEAR'... The fear of knowing what will happen if you do it again.

2. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I think physical punishment is a great way to teach your children to devalue themselves AND hate you. I also have a difficult time taking seriously anyone that gives advice on how to beat your children but pretty much regards onanism as a first-class ticket to eternal damnation.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

They would definitely probably say that now, particularly if they were opting to use battery today as a means of chld development. The ones that don't may have a different idea.

What would they think at the time that they were forcibly restrained and physically struck? Probably all of them would have felt shame and embarrassment - which makes "dignity" a sick joke.

4. body slam

body slam Member

so how would you discipline a child?

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Timeout and groundings are a reduction of dignity.

6. Nook

Nook Member

This **** again?

Half the posters will have a holier than thou attitude towards any physical contact and want to keep children in bubble wrap, and the other half will talk about their "woopins" and how that and high school football made them the wonder Church attending citizen of Katy Texas.

7. Buck Turgidson

Anything less than a gold star on their homework, running laps, taking away tv or computers or phones, these things can scar a child just as much as a light swat on the butt.

Participation Awards for everyone!

8. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Member

The kids who aren't disciplined are the kids who are out of control.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If all you could do in your room was look up governors' mansions and read present-tense MLK articles in your old-ass World Book and Britannica sets, sure. But at some point in the '90s parents started giving their kids grown-up electronics with full connections.

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

I don't need no Pope telling me how to beat my kids!

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Member

Well it is not as bad as: condoms do not help against aids.

But it is a little dissappointing. Still i do not care that much about religious leaders.

Also i think it is terrible that so many people still think spanking is not bad for your child.

12. Remii

Remii Member

Discipline doesn't have to mean physical punishment... We don't use physical punishment on adults who F up and they deserve it more than kids because the adults are the ones who are actually old enough to know better... Lol.

Because of technology it's easier to punish children without violence because they have so much more stuff to keep them entertained so you confiscate. In today's world we need 'Play 60' commercials to encourage kids to go outside and play... Smh. Take tablets, phones, computer privileges, gaming systems, no TV, and make them read big boring books and give hand written reports. And if their old enough you can make them do community service work like volunteering at an old folks home, cleaning up around the community, etc.

Funny to see all of these intelligent people who can't figure out a way to get through to their kids without going upside their head.