1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pope Francis: The New Tyranny

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mtbrays, Nov 26, 2013.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2. DwightHoward13

I don't think the Pope understands how economics works. Capitalism does not go against the social good. Generally speaking, capitalism often does improve the lives of the poor by improving the livelihood of everyone from top to bottom. Take the example of the poor person in America compared to a poor person in Afghanistan. The church, not the government, should be leading the way with social programs. Want to end poverty and inequality? Start by promoting charity through the Church.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Thank you Joseph Goebbels

4. Barkley123

Barkley123 Member

What are you saying yes to? Forcing people to live in poverty? I don't think you read my post properly.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The Pope understands how capitalism and that is exactly why he will criticize it.

As far as promoting charity through the Church, for all the disagreements I have had with the Church in the past, it is very charitable.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I am saying that I have no issue with the Pope expecting other Catholic Priests to live modestly, and if they choose to, live in poverty. Indeed, more Jesuits choose to live in poverty than you are probably aware of.

I do not think that you understand the message of Jesus or the basic principles of the Catholic church..... to live among the poor is to understand the poor.

7. Dei

Dei Member

Like how?

8. Barkley123

Barkley123 Member

If you are asking priests to lead by example by living in poverty doesn't that mean that they are setting an example for their followers to live in poverty also?

If he is to 'lead by example' shouldn't he live prosperously so that others can follow his example and learn to live prosperously also?

9. Major

Major Member

Maybe, if he thought being wealthy was the ultimate goal of life. I don't think you're understanding what he means when he's criticizing other priests.

10. conquistador#11

Serving the poor that's what it's all about. We complicate things with politics and violence to address those politics.

11. Barkley123

Barkley123 Member

Actually one of my favorite people was a Jesuit, Fr Anthony De Mello. Unfortunately he was assassinated by the Church for spreading truth.

Also I completely understand Jesus' message however the Church and many of it's leaders do not.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Have evidence of this?

13. Nook

Nook Member

Nope.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I take it by your Darwinian/Spencer quote there that you're an atheist?

15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

capitalism has benefited inordinately from cheap energy/resources, and government-sponsored research to have earned this reputation of "saving everyone".

unfortunately, the boat is leaving on the former---and that's already causing desperate bubbles as we try to keep up

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, words that he may believe in but the Church clearly does not.

DD

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The world, very generally, rejects this message that he's communicating.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Heyheyhey man, atheist can be humanist. They probably should be because there is no expectation of any rewards other than what we receive while living. Maybe the idea you guys are missing is that the pursuit wealth without regard for your fellow man is a shallow and futile existence. The only real satisfaction you can find in this life is service for others, preferably those in need. Selflessness not selfishness

That's what Jesus was saying, and Buddha and every other deity, prophet and demigod.

That's why a lot of the world's richest men end up giving it all away to charities. And what the Pope means by capitalist tyranny is like Walmart making huge profits for the 1% but resisting paying a real living wage to the people who work there. They could take less profits and share more among more people, Costco does.

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This can be very significant as it could potentially affect the coalition between the Christian Right which essentially supports trickle down economic outcomes and the Catholic Church. In addition the Pope has criticized a type of Christianity that overly emphasizes concern with abortion, homosexuality and other sexual issues as the main focus of Catholics in politics.

Needless to say Catholics like GOP favorite Vince Ryan who worships the market yet claims to be a Catholic are exposed.
    Pope Francis has released a sharply worded take on capitalism and the world's treatment of its poor, criticizing "trickle-down" economic policies in no uncertain terms.
    In the first lengthy writing of his papacy — also known as an "apostolic exhortation" — Francis says such economic theories naively rely on the goodness of those in charge and create a "tyranny" of the markets.
    "In this context, some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world," the pope wrote. "This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naïve trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system. Meanwhile, the excluded are still waiting."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...own-economics/

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Okay, g'bye troll. I tried, and that's more than anyone could say for you. God bless.