1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pooooor Aggies...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by haven, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The story I like to tell is I made a bet with a friend regarding T+1'98. If aggy wins, I go to anm. If UT wins, I'm a Longhorn. UT won 26-24 with a game winning FG by Kris Stockton. My friend later asked me, "were you really going to anm?". I was like "hell naw!".

I had no supervision while watching football so it was easy for me to root for aggy. Aggy were on TV every week and dominated the SWC. If you watch with your son then he will be fine. Let him know there is only one choice, the University of Texas at Austin...we can't have him rooting for no system school!

2. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Great story and even funnier how you had your buddy duped.

The parenting information will certainly be put to use. You would think with the Mrs. having gone to aggyville I would be in for a fight, but I may not be too bad off. She was in to the UT games this year, though she said it was b/c she roots for all the local teams.

What made me think we are heading in the right direction was the day of the game she donned one of my Horn t-shirts when she went to the store to get the party goods.

In all honesty, I would love for my son to go to UT, but as long as he goes on to get an education, I would be fine with him attending A&M...[​IMG]

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

OK, so how much less could you care?

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Didn't A&M just get that OL from Jasper that's supposed to be so good, today?

5. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

That is where he is leaning b/c his teammate and he are a package deal and A&M made an offer to Red, but Jorie is due to visit Miami this weekend I believe.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

No way does Chance or Vincent go into Kyle and beat aggy by 21. Remember Chris' freshman year and the whole Dinesh Patel Ramada Inn bullsh*t. aggy will suck next year, but their home field advantage is damn intimidating. I went to the 2001 game, and the noise was absolutely deafening at times. I don't like the idea of Chance/Vince on our own 15 yard line with their back to the Zone. Bad news.

Objectively, aggy loses their two best defensive players in Ty Warren and Sammy Davis. Kiel I think is still there. Byron Jones might be also. They switch to a 4-3 scheme under Fran. I'm guessing Jorrie Adams will start on the OL next year with Hightower et al. Reggie will probably start, with Farmer at RB, and their small receivers intact. Not alot of talent, but probably enough for a 7-5 finish.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

That's very cool of Mrs. TheHorns. She must have skipped aggy orientation.

8. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

She is from east Texas, all things and all people seemingly everyone go to or root for A&M, so she followed suit.

She tells the story that about half way through her tenure there she realized there had to be more to do in the world than The Chicken. Once she ventured outside of the B/CS metropolis she realized how much she did not like the A&M social scene and slowly went from loving the school & traditions to almost being a "two percenter". Still loved the football games but quickly soured on a lot of the traditions.

When I took her to her first UT game she really enjoyed the whole time. From Schultz's to the walk to the stadium to the halftime activities at the Alumni Center, and the after game goings on. For the longest time she would not say much about it then I heard her talking to an aggy friend and that was the first time she admitted she had more fun there then she did at aggy games.

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yes.

10. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

So he cancelled his trip to Miami?

11. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Tell me about it.

:confused: (For the lack of a better smiley)

Though everyone roots for A&M, not that many people actually go. I would say there are more A&M fans at my school than there are Longhorn fans, but, come senior year, more people prefer UT over A&M.

Also, besides the few that jump state for the Browns, BC's, and Harvards, most people at the top of the class(At my school, anyway) attend UT.

Just an unnecessary shot at A&M.

;)

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

All the reports are that he is going to A&M, but didn't want to cancel his free trip to Miami, so he's keeping his announcement hush hush.

Allthough, that's tough to turn down a school that just went to the National Championship.

13. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=3031

Ryan (Austin): Where do you think Jarvis Moss and Jorrie Adams will end up?

Tom Lemming: Never bet against the Longhorns, but after talking to the kids in San Antonio, they seem not to be sure. Florida is making a major push at both of them and Texas A&M is making a bid, but the Horns cast a long shadow across the state.

Tom Lemming: Florida State, Texas and Texas A&M are the leaders for Moss. For Adams, it's Texas, LSU and Florida. The kids are keeping their poker faces.

Interesting. I think he mightve meant Texas A&M for Adams instead of UT, even Rivals does not have UT on schools he his considering. I think Jarvis Moss is the recruit UT needs to get to replace Redding, all facts indicate he is a MONSTER. a 6'7 DE that runs a 4.48? sick! 52 tackles for loss! 28 sacks! 122 tackles from the DE! thats pretty darn unheard of and no other weakside DE comes close.

14. acejeff5

acejeff5 Member

hey whatsup yall, i go to UT (pimp school) and have lots of friends that go to A&M maybe cause they didnt get into UT, ok just kidding, they both good schools, but check out this link i found from jim rome talking about A&M and texas and the 2 schools together , interesting read , a lil crazy on certain things , some not

http://www.geocities.com/longhorn6482/JimRome.html

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

16. Baqui99

All indications are that Jorrie is deciding between A&M and Miami (heavy A&M lean). Jarvis Moss is pretty damn close to being a Horn, but we'll know next week. I think we've only got a couple of more guys on the radar after that. Ofa Mohetau, Thornton, and Whitney Lewis.

We've already got Tim Crowder (#4 DE per Rivals) to commit. Bryan Pickryl will take Redding's spot if he's healthy, making a front four of Kalen Thornton, Tubbs, Wright, and Pickryl. If he's not healthy, we choose from Marco Martin, Tully Janszen, Chase Pittman, and maybe even Larry Dibbles.

17. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Martin and Dibbles are both definitely DTs.

18. Baqui99

Dibbles was a DE before he ate his way into a DT. Martin was recruited as a DE, but I doubt he'll ever play it under a Bull Reese defense.

19. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

XLK has cancelled his trip to Miami as well and will instead visit OK State. It is heavily rumored that it will between OK State and A&M at this point. Apparently he and his parents really liked Franchione. XLK would be one hell of a pickup.

20. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

To add to that, I think it’s VERY safe to say there is only one DT position available. With the play of Rod Wright, if a kid wants to play on the D line at Texas, he will have to either beat out the others at tackle or work on the speed and agility and play end.

I saw the kid in HS and when he got to the 40 acres, he did not let me down at all. Rod is a man and he has outstanding potential. If I were buying stock in players currently on the team as to pro potential and success in the NFL, Rod would be rated behind Roy and maybe DJ (depending on his dedication), but that is about it.

What about Ced? I think Ced will have a much better year this year than last, but I would still put more money on Rod b/c he is a true gem.