1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pooooor Aggies...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by haven, Jan 22, 2003.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I'll give you ATM plus 21 points next year. Wanna go ahead and make a bet?

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'll take that.

3. gr8-1

How much?

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You name it.

When was the last time any team, not just UT, has beaten A&M by 21 points or more in College Station?

5. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

It had been so long since I had heard them referred to as such. Also Tech getting an "aggy" ("sand aggy") tag laid on them that I thought he was referring to that. I am impressed Smokey. You are deeply rooted. I guess you remember some things about David McWilliams and of course John Mackovic.

When you think about it, the aggy are one of very few schools that retained the "A&M" instead of going to a more divesre "State" title. I am sure they call it tradition, but its really just another instance of ssendrawkcab.

6. gr8-1

Don't know, and don't care. I do know they looked less than invincible at home last year.

Texas will out-talent ATM, inspite of any coaching deficiencies. Besides, Mcwhorter is in charge of the OL now, I expect Texas to be able to run the ball at will on most teams next year.

100 bucks a safe amount? We can sticky this at the top. November is a long way away.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Agreed. $100 it is. I'm not The Cat, I'll pay if I lose, which I won't. :)

8. gr8-1

You're a winner either way. You'll be rooting for a 20 point win, I guess?

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What happened? :D

That's one reason I don't bet money with people I don't know in person.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

No, I actually started rooting for Texas in '98 when I decided to go to school here. Ever since I can remember watching college football, I rooted for aggy. But I was a little kid who did not know aggy. Television is bad for kids.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup! Hell, if someone told me I could pay $100 for a UT 21+ point win at Kyle Field, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Of course, I'd rather lose $100 than lose the game. So, I won't take much consolation in losing the game, even though $100 can buy a bunch of beer.

Dammit, I should've made a condition that you actually had to come watch a game with us if I took the bet. :D That's it, you have to come watch the first UT NCAA tourney game with us.

12. gr8-1

You know what, I should. I can't watch Rockets games at Aussies because I paid for nba league pass. It would be waste of money.

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Uhh...who are you talking to? I don't think anyone in this thread has said A&M would finish above Texas.

Yeah, so? Are you saying we shouldn't have been proud that we got off to a good start early in the recruiting process?

Man, you really have a problem ? Like I really care if Texas finishes third in recruiting and the Aggies finish sixth. You seem to be obsessed with A&M. I suggest you worry more about whether your Longhorns can actually live up to expectations for once.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Alright, it's settled then. We usually watch the first two days of the tourney at BW3 on 6th. I've already planned on coming down for those first two days.

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

At A&M? I'll bet you 50 million dollars.

16. gr8-1

Don't have that kind of cash. What did Texas win by last time? 14?

17. haven

haven Member

Dckid:

I like recruiting. Generally speaking, I could care less if other people don't. However, generally, everyone I know (and people on this cite) who likes TAMU has downplayed the importance of recruiting lately. They were excited when they got McNeal, but they tried to shove it off into a corner of their collective football consciousness.

This remarkable phenomenon in Aggies everywhere coincided with Mack Brown's arrival at Texas. Strange, that.

That's fine. I understand the perspective that recruiting might be nothing more than about 1/4 of football, ridiculously unpredictable, and more than a little boring to some people. However, it really annoyed me when the very same people were so freakin' delighted when TAMU was very, very briefly ranked above Texas early in the year in recruiting.

Suddenly, this was this huge bellweather shift in football power within the state. Suddenly, this recruiting class was going to lift TAMU to new heights of glory. These players were going to destroy all competition.

That's annoying, because it's hypocritical. But even worse, it was ridiculous from the outset. TAMU wasn't ranked #2 at the time (I think it was 2) because their class had truly good players. It was ranked so highly because they made a bunch of early offers. The real powers wait until later. TAMU never was higher than the mid-teens in class *quality*... they just got a lot of "good" players early.

Yet when this very obvious statement was pointed out, it was categorically rejected. Now it's proven prophetic, and once again Aggies are #2 in the state. I'm feeling quite justified about my earlier statements.

18. gr8-1

haven, the Ags used to hate early recruiting (but now have no choice but to do so) and wanted to lynch Mack for signing 7 OLs in 2001. Oversigning, blah blah, etc. I think it was just sour grapes.

Mack has killed RC over the last 3 years. It got so bad, RC started passing out scholarship offers with a crop duster. I called the ATM football office last year and was greeted with a recorded message from RC. It said "thank you for calling the ATM football office. Would you like a scholarship?";)

19. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

After hearing this story, my son WILL NOT be watching TV!

I love hearing the reasons why someone left or passed up attending A&M. As I said before, my brother was there for 2 years and in his words "had to leave before he died."

The reason I was asking about those two in particular was that along with poor coaching, they both lost focus of the importance of recruiting to a program. So when I hear aggy, OU and others comment about our recruiting prowess, I have to agree that the player development has not been there, but as long as the talent keeps coming in, eventually the big boosters will force the likes of GD out the door, or Mack will go.

20. gr8-1

Don't want to turn this into a bash ATM thread, but my friend said nearly the exact same thing to me a few years ago. He did actually graduate from ATM though.